Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages«<234
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gurth  
#31 Posted : Saturday, July 8, 2017 1:31:01 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
NBrevitz wrote:
Guillermo wrote:
Think I'll go wade through my favorite northern stream tomorrow that runs through the property of a private club of rich fat cats that's been trying, without success, to illegally keep people out of OUR stream.

You're talking about the Huron Mountain Club in the UP? Whatever stream it is, walking through hostile territory is my shit, let's do it sometime this summer. I'll wet wade for miles for big BrookiesThumpUp

Ooohh...

I'd like to go in there too.

Stayed in a cabin on Lake Independence a few years ago and heard about those folks. Drove up to the gate too.

Your mother had a tongue like a trout!
NBrevitz  
#32 Posted : Saturday, July 8, 2017 2:45:58 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Gurth wrote:
NBrevitz wrote:
Guillermo wrote:
Think I'll go wade through my favorite northern stream tomorrow that runs through the property of a private club of rich fat cats that's been trying, without success, to illegally keep people out of OUR stream.

You're talking about the Huron Mountain Club in the UP? Whatever stream it is, walking through hostile territory is my shit, let's do it sometime this summer. I'll wet wade for miles for big BrookiesThumpUp

Ooohh...

I'd like to go in there too.

Stayed in a cabin on Lake Independence a few years ago and heard about those folks. Drove up to the gate too.

VERY EXCLUSIVE. Henry Ford had to reroute a damn highway to be allowed in. I'd pay well into 4 figures to be allowed free reign there for a couple weeks.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Guillermo  
#33 Posted : Saturday, July 8, 2017 8:45:00 PM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
NBrevitz wrote:
Guillermo wrote:

Nah, this one's in Marinette County. They DESPISE outsiders with a passion. That's what makes it so hilarious.
NBrevitz  
#34 Posted : Saturday, July 8, 2017 10:05:09 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Guillermo wrote:
NBrevitz wrote:
Guillermo wrote:

Nah, this one's in Marinette County. They DESPISE outsiders with a passion. That's what makes it so hilarious.

I know where you're talking about, I've scouted the living hell out of that (along with pretty much everything in the NE corner of the state), glad to know its legit. My family belongs to a hunting club, but we don't cut off access to the lower end of our creek, and we always make it a point to help people looking for lost dogs, poorly shot deer, wave to people on the lake, pull quads out of the mud, etc. It drives me up the wall that clubs like the one you're talking about can just make their own rules, dodge taxes, and give clubs like ours a bad name. I promise, we're not all badLaughhttp://www.brcaweb.com/ . Lets hit the club up, I'll buy the beer.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
stan b  
#35 Posted : Sunday, July 9, 2017 4:15:31 AM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Gurth wrote:
s.t.fanatic wrote:
I wasn't referring to the music. The term Hippy like many other words can be used in several ways.

Propaganda: information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view.

My use of the word propaganda was correct. The video is trying to sway its viewers to believe that the government is trying to sell off all of our public lands and if they do nobody will be able to hunt or fish anymore and our outdoor heritage will be forever lost. Don't get me wrong I love seeing kids enjoying the outdoors as opposed to sitting around watching a piece of plastic or metal spin in circles or trying to get a bottle to land standing up. However the use of a young girl in a video of this nature just solidifies my opinion on what the intent of the video is even more.

Of course it can have multiple uses – in this case in an attempt to marginalize a view that you don't agree with. Tie this organization – Back Country Hunters – with elements of the far left and therefore, they must be crazy liberals… or… hippies.

Nothing in that video is false and nowhere does it say that ALL public land will be sold.

The sentence in question reads, "There is a real and growing threat that American lawmakers will sell off public lands, stripping the American public of its outdoor heritage and tradition."

The video is in support of a position, no question, but it's not propaganda. That statement is true. It's not hard to find articles that support it.

The GOP adopted the transfer of federal lands into its platform last year and many on the far right have been pushing for this for decades. Earlier this year, they worked on a bill that would have moved in this direction and the outcry surprised them and they backed off.

I know actual hippies, or at least their modern day equivalent. My life's travels have exposed me to a lot of alternative types of people and of all the hippies I know or have known, I can't think of any that were or are fishermen or hunters. That's not to say that they don't exist, but in my experience, access to public lands for hunting and fishing usually isn't their hot button item.

So the "hippies" in Trout Unlimited or the DNR or Back Country Hunters or on this board are actually sportsmen who by and large don't want public lands sold off to private interests who will put up NO TRESSPASSING signs or charge fees for access.

I can't for the life of me understand any sportsman who would be in favor of that or try to justify their representatives pushing for it.

Even if you have access to private lands, it doesn't mean everyone else does.

I'm eternally thankful that my state had the foresight to make our waters public.

I support your right to disagree with my position on this, but using marginalizing terms or calling factual statements propaganda does little to further the discussion.

Very good post Mr Gurth!
I think we can achieve more of our cold water goals together than divided!

Just an old man's opinion.

Stan b

Edited by user Sunday, July 9, 2017 4:16:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
wibirdhunter  
#36 Posted : Tuesday, July 11, 2017 2:59:32 PM(UTC)
wibirdhunter

Man

s.t.fanatic wrote:
I prefer to knock on doors and easily gain access to private water.

You're living in fantasy land,the Midwest and West would suck ass if it was all private. There's a reason most folks don't dream of going to Texas to hunt.

This coming from the guy that's argued probably too much with dancing man on this forum.