Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Isurus21  
#11 Posted : Friday, July 21, 2017 10:24:54 AM(UTC)
Isurus21

stan b wrote:

Those were the Bean boots I was thinking about, but they're out of stock in my size...

I think I'm going to go with the Simms Freestones. So, for the folks here that wear them: Do they fit true to size? Do I want to order them in the same size as my street shoes?
William Schlafer  
#12 Posted : Friday, July 21, 2017 11:11:23 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 87 post(s)
Isurus21 wrote:
I think I'm going to go with the Simms Freestones. So, for the folks here that wear them: Do they fit true to size? Do I want to order them in the same size as my street shoes?

Yes, and yes. Although I added a pair of waterproof insoles in mine for comfort and to make the fit a bit better. My street shoe size is 10-EEEE and the Simms Freestone boot I bought are a size 10, and are plenty wide enough. They will seem a bit stiff at first, but after a few outings they will loosen up.

If you buy them from a brick and mortar store, be sure to try them on with your waders to make sure the fit is acceptable.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
joshw  
#13 Posted : Thursday, August 24, 2017 6:21:08 AM(UTC)
joshw

Man

I have always had good experiences with Simms product until the latest set of wading boots. I bought a pair of Rivertek Boa boots and at just over a season of use the rubber soles on both boots are separating from the boot on the inside and outside edges of both boots. This is not what I was expecting from a 200$ boot. I'll be sending these back to Simms for "evaluation" and will be looking into those Patagonia Lightweights suggested earlier in this thread.
William Schlafer  
#14 Posted : Thursday, August 24, 2017 6:47:16 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 87 post(s)
I tried on a pair of Simms Vapor Wading Boots earlier this year and found them very comfy walking around the fly shop. But I noticed some fairly negative reviews (on Simmss own website!) regarding build quality. This is odd because most of the rest of their line up has rock solid reputation for durability. I've worn my Freestones now for four seasons and they're still holding up pretty well.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
rschmidt  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, November 21, 2017 7:56:24 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
I can report out on my Simms Freestones experience. These are really nice boots. After more than a 100 outings they show wear: left outside upper shank has a small crack, the soles with X-Grip bottoms are worn, I had a barbed wire incident that tore off one of the lace rings. They are now my back up pair. I riveted the lace ring back on, no problem there. The crack is not through and does not leak or infiltrate. The soles are worn about 80% and there is some reduced traction. I will say they are still a great product and I will buy again. Due to being sold out, I picked up a pair of Reddington Skagit River boots with sticky rubber soles. I used 14 studs per boot and after 7 outings up north I can say they are nice as well and cheaper than the Simms. The studs improved all traction condition immensely. Will report back when I know the durability for the Reddingtons. happy Fishing! R