Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TheDancingMan  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 14, 2017 8:41:10 AM(UTC)
TheDancingMan

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
It's that point in the summer where the trout streams get thick with overgrowth and heat makes bushwhacking through the woods less than enjoyable. Sometimes, nothing can be better (or classier) than fishing for broad shouldered carp. This summer, I've been scouting for Mulberry trees dropping fruit into a local body of water. After walking many miles on foot, I found two perfect trees in Minneapolis city limits. Sure enough, the carp were stacked underneath the tree like obedient dogs waiting for fruit to drop. Armed with my hand tied mulberry flies the fishing was on! As soon as I tossed a mulberry fly, a nice carp took it right off the topwater, though as not as elegantly as a trout.

UserPostedImage

However, after I caught one on a mulberry fly, the carp proved to be very selective. I'd watched them swim right up to my fly only to reject it again and again. Not to be outdone, I figured I'd try a San Juan worm which turned out to be the hot fly.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

A great day carping. There were some tanks in there too, they were just too far into the weeds. If you want to know some great carp spots in city limits, I'd be happy to trade tips.

Edited by user Friday, July 14, 2017 8:43:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 14, 2017 10:41:22 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 85 post(s)
Nice! I didn't know that Carp ate fruit.

As a kid we used to catch them using corn and bread dough. Smoked carp was a delicacy back then with the old German and Norwegian farmers along the Wisconsin River. It was sold in the grocery stores right next to the Lutefisk (yuk!).

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
big_river_bum  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 14, 2017 7:59:24 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
honestly, I've never cast a fly for a carp, but after Wednesday I really think I need to. while out catfishing my 6 year old nephew hooked this guy and turned the rod over to me after he couldn't hold on any more. still took me 5 minutes to bring him in. never caught a carp on stinkbait lol

UserPostedImage
EddieRivard  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 18, 2017 3:45:32 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
That's awesome! I got into carp fly fishing this summer. We should go some weeknight Dancing Man.
-Eddie
TheDancingMan  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 18, 2017 4:00:39 PM(UTC)
TheDancingMan

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
EddieRivard wrote:
That's awesome! I got into carp fly fishing this summer. We should go some weeknight Dancing Man.
-Eddie

Yeah man, I saw some huge carp mudding around yesterday in Minneapolis but couldn't persuade them with my fly. I'm leaving for Montana tomorrow but I'll be back next week.
NBrevitz  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 18, 2017 4:05:29 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Give up on the PhotoBucket Eddie, no amount of shear awesomeness will grant you a free subscription to their premium service.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
William Schlafer  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 18, 2017 7:19:52 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 85 post(s)
Someday I may own a boat. And when I get tired of fly fishing for bass and panfish, I may just have to try carp. I bet one of those 20 pound beasts feels pretty awesome on a fly rod!

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos