Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages«<23456>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pete  
#31 Posted : Monday, July 9, 2018 3:25:45 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Nice report and congrats on the musky. What a pleasant surprise that had to be. And a great story about controlling the kayak to get to the last possible spot to land him.

And you're right about getting into those lily pad fields with the kayak. It's amazing how much more cooperative fish can be when they're not getting pounded by the bass boat guys all day.
thanks 1 user thanked Pete for this useful post.
Gurth on 7/9/2018(UTC)
Gurth  
#32 Posted : Monday, July 9, 2018 5:26:20 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Pete Go to Quoted Post
Nice report and congrats on the musky. What a pleasant surprise that had to be. And a great story about controlling the kayak to get to the last possible spot to land him.

And you're right about getting into those lily pad fields with the kayak. It's amazing how much more cooperative fish can be when they're not getting pounded by the bass boat guys all day.

Thanks. Was a thrill and a rush for sure.

Just seeing it hanging in that water was so cool and knowing it was actually on my line as I've had follows by big ones before.

Longest fish I've landed by 6 inches on a pike and 15 inches on a brown. Previous best musky was high 20s.

A couple of cars went over the bridge while I was crossing the river with bent rod and paddle in one hand. Wonder if they looked down and saw what was going on and what they thought. Laugh

So many things could have gone differently and turned this into a complete shit-show. had he bolted under the yak midstream, for instance.

Was fun to have to improvise on the fly and for it to work out as I hoped it would and to be physically able to do it as it took some coordination and core strength.

Regarding lily pads…

How nice to creep into them and search out good little spots and wait for the strike.

I fish for bass deep too and often get bigger ones that way, but the top water is too much fun.

Edited by user Monday, July 9, 2018 5:40:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Gurth  
#33 Posted : Thursday, July 26, 2018 1:28:59 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

My year of personal bests keeps going…

So far, I have bested my brownie, brookie, largemouth and musky.

On the wall of shame, I have bested my sucker, carp and brood bow.

Got out in the yak and explored some of the lower portion – just below trout water - of the Sug last night.

Ddin't find anything other than carp where I was and they happily splashed all around me. Knew what they were and didn't bother chasing those phantoms. One fun part though was spooking them on the shallow flats as they'd take off like a torpedo and leave a wake. Must have been some pretty big ones.

Stopped at a dam on my way out and while catching a few little smallies, was thinking I had my best one ever as the fish on the end of the line was not wanting to be reeled in and was down current from me and felt HEAVY.

And then I saw it…

UserPostedImage

Lol.

Still… a damn fine channel cat that was probably 5-6 pounds. Destroyed the PM that I hooked it on. Also… a new personal best and made the night. Was both laughing and pleased. At least it wasn't a carp or sucker.

I like catfish, but not this big of one from this silty/dirty water. Let it go.

It really has been a pretty fun and diverse season so far.

Edited by user Thursday, July 26, 2018 1:29:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

madguy30  
#34 Posted : Friday, July 27, 2018 10:50:46 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
My year of personal bests keeps going…

So far, I have bested my brownie, brookie, largemouth and musky.

On the wall of shame, I have bested my sucker, carp and brood bow.

Got out in the yak and explored some of the lower portion – just below trout water - of the Sug last night.

Ddin't find anything other than carp where I was and they happily splashed all around me. Knew what they were and didn't bother chasing those phantoms. One fun part though was spooking them on the shallow flats as they'd take off like a torpedo and leave a wake. Must have been some pretty big ones.

Stopped at a dam on my way out and while catching a few little smallies, was thinking I had my best one ever as the fish on the end of the line was not wanting to be reeled in and was down current from me and felt HEAVY.

And then I saw it…

UserPostedImage

Lol.

Still… a damn fine channel cat that was probably 5-6 pounds. Destroyed the PM that I hooked it on. Also… a new personal best and made the night. Was both laughing and pleased. At least it wasn't a carp or sucker.

I like catfish, but not this big of one from this silty/dirty water. Let it go.

It really has been a pretty fun and diverse season so far.

When I first started using the fly rod for warmwater stuff I got about a 5 pound channel cat. Took a while on my 5 weight.

That river can be so hit or miss.
Gurth  
#35 Posted : Saturday, August 18, 2018 7:30:10 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Company in town, so no time to get to a stream this weekend.

Snuck out at dawn for a couple hours on a nearby pond in the yak.

Nothing doing sub-surface or with a jitterbug.

Tried a hula popper for the first time ever and suddenly, it was on!

They were smashing it (and getting securely hooked) much harder than they ever have on a jitterbug. Don't know if it was just the day or if the hula popper is a better top water lure. Certainly requires further study.

Got several nice ones which was cool as it's been a bit since my last big bass.

This guy went on several rod bending runs under the yak and pulled me into a surface bed before I landed him.

UserPostedImage

Pretty fun on a light action rod.

It's getting to be trout time though and I'm really starting to itch for a stream.

Still... fun morning and a new lure added to the arsenal.

Edited by user Saturday, August 18, 2018 7:31:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 8/18/2018(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#36 Posted : Saturday, August 18, 2018 7:54:55 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Nice looking large mouth Gurth!

I always loved using a Hula Popper. Plop it down into a hole in the weed bed, let it settle, and then give it a couple of sharp jerks to produce some nice pops. The strikes were always splashy and violent. Kinda like hopper fishing for Trout.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 1 user thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
Gurth on 8/18/2018(UTC)
Gurth  
#37 Posted : Saturday, August 18, 2018 8:20:43 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Yeah the way you describe hopper fishing for trout makes me think that I’d love it.

Gotta get to those fly rods one of these years!
William Schlafer  
#38 Posted : Sunday, August 19, 2018 11:42:11 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
Yeah the way you describe hopper fishing for trout makes me think that I’d love it.

This video pretty much sums up the hopper fishing experience. Including the advanced technique of falling head first into the stream (one of my specialties).

I wonder what would happen if you tossed a Hula Popper on a stream like this?

-Bill

Edited by user Sunday, August 19, 2018 11:44:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added text

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#39 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2018 3:32:17 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

That's about what the Hula Popper hits look like.

I tried a jitterbug at dusk the other day on a large pool on a trout stream. Not surprisingly, nothing happened.

Got out tonight at dusk and got a few more nice largies on the hula popper and also a couple sub-surface.

People slag on largies, but they're a hoot when they have some depth to work with and when you are in a yak with light gear.

Lots of towing around and runs/dives under the yak with my rod bending to a closed loop.

Of course they're boring on a heavy rod with 30 pound test from a 16 foot boat. Everything is.

Best part of tonight though was right a dusk when a landing phalanx of geese suddenly saw me.

They were about 30 yards on the aft side and about 20 feet up and coming in hot.

Once they saw me, they broke into two groups and wheeled away with one of the groups passing right over me as they turned and struggled to gain altitude.

Could see them release their payloads before they got to me just as the started their turn. Luckily, the bombs peppered the water to the starboard side about 10 feet from me.

Was honestly like a scene out of a WWII movie with Japanese planes on a bombing run and narrowly missing the Yorktown.

I laughed.

A lot. Laugh

Son wondered if they were intentionally trying to crap on me.

If I was the goose, the answer would be yes.

Edited by user Monday, August 20, 2018 3:36:15 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

WI-fly  
#40 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2018 7:34:26 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Bill - That hopper video was a good one. Thanks for the share. Skinny water with high grass - so much fun. He really did take a tumble there at the end. Likely too busy looking at the water instead of the ground.

Hopper question for you all - How much movement do you give your hopper (if any) when it's on the water? Do you give it a twitch or skate it at all?

=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram