Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages«<3456>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#41 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2018 7:56:09 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 87 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WI-fly Go to Quoted Post
Hopper question for you all - How much movement do you give your hopper (if any) when it's on the water? Do you give it a twitch or skate it at all?

I've read that a twitch sometimes is essential to getting a strike. But in small stream, short cast conditions like this the take will come within moments of the fly hitting the water. You can see that pretty clearly in the video. Sometimes I swear the Trout are actually tracking the hopper while it's in the air. If you're fishing bigger water with lots of open space they will have longer to look at the fly, so then a little enticement might be needed.

Another tip for small stream hopper pounding: use a short, heavy leader. No need for finesse here. In fact, making the bug splat when it hits the water will often draw the attention of the bigger Trout. And also, be prepared to steer the fish away from undercut banks and protected holding spots. It's a knife fight in a phone booth, and a heavy leader comes in handy for dragging them out of cover.

Also, a tactic that's paid good dividends for me is to back fish the best spots on the creek during the walk back to the car. Drift the hopper downstream to the hole, and then tug it underwater and start stripping fast. This will often lure a spooky Trout out from cover, as they can't resist what looks like fleeing food.

UserPostedImage

-Bill

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
WI-fly  
#42 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2018 8:23:17 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Great tips. Thanks Bill!

I'm out of town the next two weekends, but hopefully I can find time during the week to get out there and sling hoppers.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
Gurth  
#43 Posted : Monday, September 3, 2018 4:30:38 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 60 post(s)
Another one that got away...

First a big brown on Friday and now a big largie this morning. Right up by shore in an open space amongst the weed beds. Big wake to the right... big wake to the left and then I no longer have the fish or my lure.

Felt quite heavy and strong.

Managed to land this one though...

UserPostedImage

At least I have this photo to remember my lost Popper by. Sad

Flapper

Did get a few other largies including some nice ones but the big one got away.

Still... cobbled together a fine weekend of fishing in spite of the rain.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
madguy30  
#44 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 5:34:45 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I need to get out and see what's around in impoundments. Rivers are all screwed up and the Madison chain, while on no-wake, is still the Madison chain.
Gurth  
#45 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 6:12:06 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Yeah I wanted to get out in the yak this past weekend but the front and high pressure and cooler air made me think that the fish wouldn't play.

Think I'll go somewhere this weekend. Maybe my last full day outing of the year before I go full trout till the season closes.

Will be a tough call though as Fall trouting has already kicked in and it's been really good.

Gurth  
#46 Posted : Sunday, September 16, 2018 11:33:21 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

More than a little bummed that my yak season may be at an end. Have other plans the next two weekends and then it will be October and I can’t imagine that I’ll spend fishing time anywhere other than trout streams till the 15th.

Travelled with a buddy about an hour north of Madison to an area that has a number of lakes suitable for kayak fishing. Been going to these little lakes a bunch this summer.

Fish weren’t really on and couldn’t buy a top water hit all day but did manage a to catch some fish… mostly micro northerns and small largies.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

First lake was a 50ish acre body with a max depth of 25 feet and lily pads and submerged weed fields galore.

UserPostedImage

Gonna miss this kind of water if I don’t get back out this year.

As I said, could not buy a top water hit but got 6 snakes, 3 small largies and a few keeper perch. Have never caught perch this large and wish I had planned for keeper fish as they would be packed and stacked in my freezer right now.

UserPostedImage

Mental note to go back to this lake with a basket and target panfish.

Couldn’t find any decent largies (or anything else) though and went to a different lake at 10:00.

Second lake was about a half mile to the east and also around 50 acres but had a max depth of 60 feet. and clear water.

Still couldn’t buy a top water hit, but found some takers with a football jig and squid tail in 10-15 feet of water. Got a few solid to big largies, but the bite wasn’t really on compared to other times I’ve fished the area.

The big one of the day got away when he was smart enough to come to the surface and start jumping. Could feel him ascending from the depths and swimming towards me and was thinking… maybe even wailing out loud, “NO!” OhMyGod Laugh

Tried to apply side pressure, but he spit the hook on his third jump. Ugh.

Judging by the width of his white belly, he was a fatty.

I always seem to fixate on the one that got away.

Gorgeous day for a float and already looking forward to the next time I can get to those lakes. Who knows, maybe that first weekend in October…

William Schlafer  
#47 Posted : Sunday, September 16, 2018 2:44:25 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 87 post(s)
Something with teeth took a chunk out of that Small Mouth. Love that lily pad water shot. Classic Hula Popper or plastic frog water for bass.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#48 Posted : Sunday, September 16, 2018 6:33:24 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
Something with teeth took a chunk out of that Small Mouth. Love that lily pad water shot. Classic Hula Popper or plastic frog water for bass.

-Bill

Yeah that's why I took a photo of it.

Was hoping to get the northern (presumably) that did that instead of the snakes.

The friend that was with me had somehow never caught a northern before and got a few of the snakes.

Told him he'd get real sick of the little ones real soon.

madguy30  
#49 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2018 2:53:34 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I'll be kayak fishing in little lakes until mid-November or as long as it's warm enough too.

Northern like it and the lakes clear up typically so if nothing else it's fun to see fish.
Pete  
#50 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2018 3:45:42 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I haven't seen a perch that size since the glory days on Lake Michigan. Good to know they still exist somewhere.