Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
paul worsterberg of the deplacements  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 21, 2017 1:40:09 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
howdy, all.

i hope everyone is well after the solar eclipse.

there has been some posts (few) about trout fishing in hayward in the past. wondering if there is any new info anyone can share.

i am heading to spider lake in early sept for musky but wanted to have one day of the trouts. intel seems to be that is hard to fish, especially without a watercraft. if anyone has any wade ideas to share, i'm all ears! or in this case of reading, i'm all eyes.

in other news, spider lake is quickly becoming a pike lake. never saw a pike for 15 years and in the last 4, i went from catching one to catching many. bye bye musky.

thanks.
Sponsor
Jimbern  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 21, 2017 2:27:29 PM(UTC)
Jimbern

Man

I have no good news re trouting out of Hayward in mid summer.

I think the best bet would have been the Namekogan River, but my experience is that it's an early season event. The water would be way too warm for trout by mid summer. It is wadeable in many places, however.

The Bois Brule has a few areas through the park (can't remember which park area, of course). I have caught trout out of it and it is mighty pretty. Be prepared for ticks.

Others on this board would be more familiar with these northern rivers, but I'm pretty sure they're going to direct you to warm water species.
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 22, 2017 8:07:03 AM(UTC)

Thanks, Jimbern. your story seems to be the same as the other posts for the past on this topic. not sure why i would have hoped for something different.

i only got trout fishing once this year and was hoping to get some action next month.
shebs  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 22, 2017 9:53:35 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
There is some worthwhile water in the vicinity, but most people won't share their secret spots up there, as they are few and far between. Most of the water around Hayward is small, mosquito infested, and difficult to fish. But if you're willing to drive a little ways, and do some exploring, you may find a hidden gem...
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Jimbern  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 22, 2017 10:05:17 AM(UTC)
Jimbern

Man

Hey, if I happened to be up there, I would probably wet a line anyway. Find some wadeable water, throw some hairy-scary bugger downstream and see what happens. I know there's at least one fly shop in town. Buy something from them and maybe get a tip.
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 22, 2017 12:10:56 PM(UTC)

yep, i figure i can waste some of my working day on the google maps machine looking for water for trout. i have 2 kids under two so it is hard to get away and i hate to waste time driving with no payoff up there. maybe buy a yeti cooler from hayward fly fishing shop for a gold mine of secret spots...ha.