Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gurth  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 22, 2017 4:23:52 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Didn't want to do another trip report so soon after my last one, but started to post these in the Pics thread and realized there are just too many.

On Sunday, planned on hitting a stream near Richland Center for a couple hours and then going to an impoundment lake in my kayak. A mixed fishing day.

The trout were so active that it felt like springtime fishing and I never did leave to go lake fishing. Conditions were perfect btw… overcast and slightly humid. Many of my best days historically have had similar conditions.

The first section I hit had high crumbling banks and some trees. There were occasional riffles and runs and several nice pools...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Worked my way back to the bridge where I had started and went upstream which became more wooded...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Headed back to the car and went upstream to an open pasture section with bluffs that met the stream in several spots...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

This was my favorite fish of the day…

UserPostedImage

Probably around 13 inches and I couldn't believe how beautiful it was…

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Photos don't do it justice as it looked like it was on fire with that flame pattern on it's belly. A lot of them have that flame pattern this time of year, but these were almost orange and he was light on top, so they really popped.

I think brownies can be the prettiest of Wisconsin trout, but this one was the most striking that I can remember.

Was so excited for this fish.

Worked my way back to the car and the bite seemed to be dying down but found this structure that was likely left by the flooding a few weeks ago…

UserPostedImage

And got a fish from it…

UserPostedImage

Structure is structure.

Had a few visitors check me out…

UserPostedImage

Managed to get one last fish at the bridge pool and it was the largest of the day. A sleek 17 incher with a giant rudder that gave him a lot of propulsion. Was a good fight and a great way to end the day.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Hadn't had a fish count sort of day since May, so this was a whole lot of fun in a simply gorgeous setting. Really should take my DSLR out to some of these places so I can capture them better.

All told, 21 browns to hand and maybe lost 4 along the way. Nothing too huge, but 3 around 15 inches and a couple 13 inchers to go with that last one. The rest were 10-12 inches and all fought well - seemed to have a lot of spunk that day.

Oh yeah, and according to my log (keeping one for trout this year for the first time), I passed 400 trout on the year with number 8 on Sunday.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Sponsor
snbrd4evr  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 22, 2017 6:31:05 PM(UTC)
snbrd4evr

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Daaang... 400 trout.

I'd estimate I'm around 150 and I thought I was throwing down.

That is a real beauty of a trout. I'm going out again for some 'bows and possibly a monster brown. But I really don't expect much with the current temp drop and sunny skies Sad
William Schlafer  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 22, 2017 7:38:59 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 64 post(s)
Nice outing Gurth! Love those golden Brown Trout.

Horse pastures. I've always done when when horses area around. Don't have a clue why, but it always works out well for me when they are.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
West Branch  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 23, 2017 6:46:43 AM(UTC)
West Branch

Nice bunch of fish! Sunday was a good day on the Iowa side, too. Two of us picked up around 70 fish right across the river from Prairie du Chien. A few days earlier my partner had a 75 fish day on the same stream, so he thought the bite was off a bit. I'm usually pretty pleased when my daily total passes the 30 fish mark.

Keeping a journal is a good idea. Things you think you're sure to remember fade into the blend of many streams and fishing days. A couple of weeks ago, for example, I managed to land an espcially fat 18" brown. I can't even recall which stream that fish came out of, much less the exact spot. I've gotta start writing some of this stuff down.

Keep posting those trout photos. I never get tired of looking at nice fish.

Edited by user Thursday, August 24, 2017 7:04:50 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gurth  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 24, 2017 4:57:45 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

snbrd4evr wrote:
Daaang... 400 trout.

I'd estimate I'm around 150 and I thought I was throwing down.

That is a real beauty of a trout. I'm going out again for some 'bows and possibly a monster brown. But I really don't expect much with the current temp drop and sunny skies Sad

400 seems like a lot till you hear the seemingly common stories of 50+ fish days.

I've never gotten much more than 30 and that's a huge day for me.

Good luck with that urban Minny fishing. Do you ever go after smallies?

There was an Orvis podcast about the upper Miss towards St. Cloud being great for them.

Actually, I would think you'd have almost limitless opportunities for green fish up there.
Gurth  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 24, 2017 5:11:16 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

West Branch wrote:
Nice bunch of fish! Sunday was a good day on the Iowa side, too. Two of us picked up around 70 fish right acroos the river from Prairie du Chien. A few days earlier my partner had a 75 fish day on the same stream, so he thought the bite was off a bit. I'm usually pretty pleased when my daily total passes the 30 fish mark.

Keeping a journal is a good idea. Things you think you're sure to remember fade into the blend of many streams and fishing days. A couple of weeks ago, for example, I managed to land an espcially fat 18" brown. I can't even recall which stream that fish came out of, much less the exact spot. I've gotta start writing some of this stuff down.

Keep posting those trout photos. I never get tired of looking at nice fish.

Thinking about a weekday November jaunt to Iowa this fall. Maybe that would be a place to try as it looks like a public wilderness area and I've heard access in Iowa is a bit trickier than over here.