Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
joshw  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 23, 2017 6:16:29 AM(UTC)
joshw

Man

I recently ordered and tried two fly lines from Barrio Fly Lines over in the UK. I had read good reviews on them and the price was very good at around 36$ for a line. The two lines I ordered were the Small Stream and the GT90. The Small Stream was a short head compact taper line designed for loading rods at close casting distances. It reminded me of the old Scientific Anglers XPS weight forward line (discontinued) in that it takes very little line outside the rod tip to load and produce a reasonable cast. It was excellent for the small pasture stream I was fishing and presented a small dry and dropper with ease. I did try and air out some line to see if it performed well at distance if needed and it did well but not as good as a longer belly line. The other line I tried was a GT90. This line seemed to match perfectly on my Scott Radian and would probably do really well on any other med/fast to fast rods. I fished this line on a larger spring creek and really enjoyed the castability of this line. It loaded well in close, was a really good roll casting line and allowed for very accurate soft presentations at normal fishing distances. I never did air it out at all on longer throws but that's not needed in the driftless anyway. If I had to compare this line to a US line I would say its like a Rio Gold with a little more power to turn over a longer leader/bigger fly. I was throwing a hopper and tungsten beadhead dropped and it performed really well. If durability ends up being good on these lines, they will be my new go to lines. I tried them out after having many durability issues with Rio lines and so far they are excellent. I almost forgot, shipping from the UK is free on the lines and took about 8 business days to receive.
Sponsor