Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
OTC_MN  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 24, 2017 9:10:51 AM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 15 post(s)
When it comes to fly tying materials, I have a thing for dubbing. I like experimenting with different types, and I'm pretty picky about what kind I use for different purposes. This has led to the acquisition of lots of dubbing over time. LOTS of dubbing.

The problem is, I positively loathe the little plastic baggies most dubbing comes in.

It's frequently hard to get the right amount picked out, and for me at least there's no practical way to store them where they're both organized AND accessible. I've tried all sorts of stuff. Peg hooks - great, until you need the color that's at the back, and have to take all the ones in front of it off the peg. Small boxes...same problem, especially when something gets put back in the wrong box and you end up pawing through multiple boxes to find the one that has the package you need. Worse yet if the package is simply floating around the tying desk somewhere because I got lazy about putting it back where it belongs. Even on a good day my tying desk looks like someone took a shotgun to a parakeet at close range, and a bag of dubbing gets swallowed by the chaos pretty easily.

So when I saw the Hends slotted dubbing dispensers, I thought "Hmmm. Worth a try."

Turns out, these little things are pretty awesome.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Basically, you load these up by cramming the dubbing into the slots with the end of a bodkin, a pencil - whatever. Each slot can hold about half a bag of dubbing or so, and I store the remainder in a box and reload the slots as necessary. I use small stickers to label the slots, and multiple dispensers fit in a small box that sits next to my hook storage on my desk. When I'm looking for dubbing, I can just leaf through the dispensers in the box and grab the one I need. They're slender enough to store easily (5 3/8" x 3 1/8", 3/8" Depth), but not so small they get lost on my desk.

Actually using the things, they're great in part because it's easy to pick out small amounts of dubbing at a time, and with coarse dubbing like Ice Dub or Arizona synthetic, small amounts work a lot better than big bunches.

The dispensers come in two sizes - 12 and 24 slot. I've got both, but prefer the 12 slot. (Some of the first ones I got were actually 10 slot, before they started making 12 and 24.)

Best of all they'll set you back a whopping $3.25 each at Tactical Fly Fisher.

I'm a big fan of simple, practical things that just make life easier. If they're cheap - so much the better.

Hends slotted dubbing dispensers definitely fit into that category.

Edited by user Thursday, August 24, 2017 9:14:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 24, 2017 10:43:28 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 81 post(s)
That's slick! I hate those little zip lock bags too.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
vmthtr in Green Bay  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:05:51 PM(UTC)
vmthtr in Green Bay

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I put mine into a dispenser box. UserPostedImage