Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Aboudreau25  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 10, 2017 1:20:16 AM(UTC)
Aboudreau25

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
With the 2017 trout season coming to a close in Minnesota and Wisconsin, I always enjoy seeing how other people did.
Instagram: @boudreau25
Sponsor
snbrd4evr  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 10, 2017 2:20:12 AM(UTC)
snbrd4evr

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I like this idea. Sooooo... I think the fish needs a story and a picture.

This is my best fish of the year by far. I caught others that were just as big but this one is special to me for one big reason, it was in creek that I had heard about but was somewhat skeptical. I guess you could say it was my Diamond in the Rough (my kid is 2, I watch a lot of Aladdin).

So first time down to this creek and it looks promising. I notice that there are no foot prints in the mud anywhere, there were no signs of anyone that has fished here in the past two years, this made me somewhat skeptical. I see this primo undercut bank. I think to myself, if a fish isn't under that thing, there aren't any fish in this creek. I make my cast, a pink squirrel I had tied with an indicator about 2 ft up the leader. It's a perfect cast, the fly drifts casually under the bank and my indicator goes under. I think to myself... no way. I snagged something. I set the hook anyway and this fish goes nuts. It comes out from the bank to make itself known, I swear it stared me down to show it's dominance. I started crapping my pants and realized I was outmatched. My beat up 5x could maybe stand a chance in open water, but this thing had a deep undercut bank to dive under. And like any big fish, it did. And snapped me off. I was defeated yet exhilarated. There are fish in this little creek and they're BIG.

In the 4-5 years I've been trout fishing, I rarely went to new spots. I had an area I liked, I understood, and I knew I'd catch fish. But this little creek had opened me up to a new type of excitement. The excitement of finding that Diamond in the Rough.

I didn't go back to that stream for 2 weeks so I could let that fish settle down and get back in her spot. I went on a rainy day, with a pink squirrel and an indicator 2ft up my leader. I made my exact same first cast and hooked it again. This time I was ready. And with some strong solid tippet, I took two big steps back and didn't let her get back in that hole. I had caught my Diamond in the Rough, and she was beautiful.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
weiliwen  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 10, 2017 2:28:47 AM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I rarely take pictures of fish, as I usually fish alone and can't work the iPhone with a single hand. I only got over to Vernon County 5 times this season, but was more successful each visit.

I've been fishing in the Driftless for 3 years now, and only this year learned that I do need to get the nymph down to the bottom of the stream - I'm stupid that way. As soon as I did, my fishing immediately improved; my fish, only 17" but for me a nice one, was a product of that education. I had a small Muddler with a Pink Squirrel about 12" behind it. About 3" in front of the Muddler, I had a split shot. That combo worked very well for me all autumn. My best fish was 17" - not huge by the standards of a lot of folks here, but good for me. I pulled 3 fish from the same run, a relatively featureless piece of stream about 15 yards across. I think the stream was about 2-3' deep there, and pretty even for about 50 yards. I fished down river and caught 2 more in the same place on my way back up. It was dreary and raining a bit, and the river was higher than usual and a bit stained, so i think the fish were put at ease, and not so spooky.

That run starts with a left turn with a small island in the middle of the turn. I always start that area by putting a fly on the outside bend side of the island, always get a couple strikes from a good fish, and always miss him. Next spring I am bound and determined to get him.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Aboudreau25  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 10, 2017 2:32:35 AM(UTC)
Aboudreau25

Originally Posted by: snbrd4evr Go to Quoted Post
I like this idea. Sooooo... I think the fish needs a story and a picture.

This is my best fish of the year by far. I caught others that were just as big but this one is special to me for one big reason, it was in creek that I had heard about but was somewhat skeptical. I guess you could say it was my Diamond in the Rough (my kid is 2, I watch a lot of Aladdin).

So first time down to this creek and it looks promising. I notice that there are no foot prints in the mud anywhere, there were no signs of anyone that has fished here in the past two years, this made me somewhat skeptical. I see this primo undercut bank. I think to myself, if a fish isn't under that thing, there aren't any fish in this creek. I make my cast, a pink squirrel I had tied with an indicator about 2 ft up the leader. It's a perfect cast, the fly drifts casually under the bank and my indicator goes under. I think to myself... no way. I snagged something. I set the hook anyway and this fish goes nuts. It comes out from the bank to make itself known, I swear it stared me down to show it's dominance. I started crapping my pants and realized I was outmatched. My beat up 5x could maybe stand a chance in open water, but this thing had a deep undercut bank to dive under. And like any big fish, it did. And snapped me off. I was defeated yet exhilarated. There are fish in this little creek and they're BIG.

In the 4-5 years I've been trout fishing, I rarely went to new spots. I had an area I liked, I understood, and I knew I'd catch fish. But this little creek had opened me up to a new type of excitement. The excitement of finding that Diamond in the Rough.

I didn't go back to that stream for 2 weeks so I could let that fish settle down and get back in her spot. I went on a rainy day, with a pink squirrel and an indicator 2ft up my leader. I made my exact same first cast and hooked it again. This time I was ready. And with some strong solid tippet, I took two big steps back and didn't let her get back in that hole. I had caught my Diamond in the Rough, and she was beautiful.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Awesome fish! super fat and outstanding colors!
Aboudreau25  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 10, 2017 2:35:12 AM(UTC)
Aboudreau25

Originally Posted by: weiliwen Go to Quoted Post
I rarely take pictures of fish, as I usually fish alone and can't work the iPhone with a single hand. I only got over to Vernon County 5 times this season, but was more successful each visit.

I've been fishing in the Driftless for 3 years now, and only this year learned that I do need to get the nymph down to the bottom of the stream - I'm stupid that way. As soon as I did, my fishing immediately improved; my fish, only 17" but for me a nice one, was a product of that education. I had a small Muddler with a Pink Squirrel about 12" behind it. About 3" in front of the Muddler, I had a split shot. That combo worked very well for me all autumn. My best fish was 17" - not huge by the standards of a lot of folks here, but good for me. I pulled 3 fish from the same run, a relatively featureless piece of stream about 15 yards across. I think the stream was about 2-3' deep there, and pretty even for about 50 yards. I fished down river and caught 2 more in the same place on my way back up. It was dreary and raining a bit, and the river was higher than usual and a bit stained, so i think the fish were put at ease, and not so spooky.

That run starts with a left turn with a small island in the middle of the turn. I always start that area by putting a fly on the outside bend side of the island, always get a couple strikes from a good fish, and always miss him. Next spring I am bound and determined to get him.

17 inches is a good start! keep at it and before you know it you will be breaking that 20 inch mark. I have found that getting down deep is crucial when it comes to catching larger fish in big pools. Those warm, dreary days are my favorite!
Gurth  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 10, 2017 2:39:35 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 41 post(s)
A 17" trout is a very nice fish and really not all that common on the vast majority of trout water in Wisconsin.

Be happy with that one!

You'll catch more big fish, but you'll always remember your first. Wink

Laugh
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Mark Dahlquist  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 10, 2017 2:49:52 AM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Best brown was this 26" bobber fishing with a live chub.

UserPostedImage
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
Aboudreau25  
#8 Posted : Friday, November 10, 2017 2:50:14 AM(UTC)
Aboudreau25

This year was by far my best year for big trout. I explored more this year in 1 week than i did all of last year, and broke my previous personal best trout of 24 inches, twice. My biggest goals for the season were to figure out this night fishing thing, and catch a monster fish i had seen in recent years. I accomplished both of those, and some...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Sorry for the awful picture, but that last one was a lengthy 28 inch female that I had been hunting for about 2 years that I FINALLY got my hands on
Aboudreau25  
#9 Posted : Friday, November 10, 2017 2:53:22 AM(UTC)
Aboudreau25

Originally Posted by: Mark Dahlquist Go to Quoted Post
Best brown was this 26" bobber fishing with a live chub.

UserPostedImage

Huge fish, mark! Ive never tried that live chub fishing thing, but have always wanted to!
Mark Dahlquist  
#10 Posted : Friday, November 10, 2017 3:01:16 AM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
You're the trout king 👑. Great to see a young guy hitting home runs. Chub fishing is hilariously easy.

Edited by user Friday, November 10, 2017 3:01:55 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage