Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pete  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 17, 2017 7:28:27 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I've been mostly lurking and not posting much on here the past few months because I've been fishing less than usual. One reason is that I spent much of the Summer getting an introduction to Spey casting. I'm still very much a beginner, nowhere near an expert, but I can get the line out to the point that I can fish. There are some rivers near me-the Fox, Des Plaines, Kankakee and Rock-that are the right size and current to Spey cast. Obviously no salmon or steelhead in them, but Spey rods are getting lighter all the time-3 and 4 weights are now available-so I can go after smallmouths, walleyes, white bass, pike, musky, whatever is available. As far as Wisconsin, I can think of a few similar places: Wolf River during the white bass run, the Black River, the Wisconsin for just about anything that swims. The Milwaukee is the closest for me to go after lake run browns, salmon and steelhead.

Anyone have any recommendations for other waters suitable for Spey? Maybe some of the non-classified lower stretches of the Driftless streams, although none come to mind. As far as Central Sands, I think even the lowest stretches of the Mecan would be too small. It doesn't have to be for resident trout-I'll go after just about anything. Thanks for any suggestions.
NBrevitz  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 17, 2017 9:03:59 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I’ve got a buddy who loves to Spey fish the Brule, that’s certainly wide enough once you get below the meadows. You could Spey the Lower Kickapoo or even the Lower West Fork, some stretches of the Baraboo, etc.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
mbchilton  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 17, 2017 10:56:06 PM(UTC)
mbchilton

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I’ve had my 11’ 5wt on the lower stretch of one MN trout stream.
Pete  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 18, 2017 2:37:59 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Gentlemen,
Thanks for your replies and the helpful information. That gives me a lot of water with which to work.
NDFlatlander  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 23, 2017 4:47:13 AM(UTC)
NDFlatlander

Man

I'm out quite a bit on the Milwaukee with a 13'6" or the Sheboygan with an 11' switch. Love the two handers.