Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
OTC_MN  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 28, 2017 3:23:36 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
So I was sitting at my bench cranking out some bugs last night and got to thinking (when all you're doing is prepping hooks with beads and lead wire, the mind can wander)...

Is there any interest here in some step by step how to tutorials? I know there's lots of places to get that kind of info so it might be redundant, but also might be nice to see some patterns that produce well locally or that people have adapted to their preferences.

As I've said several times in the past, I'm a big fan of what I call 'three minute flies' - as in, flies that take about three minutes to tie. I don't have a ton of patience for flies that take 17 steps, a dozen different materials, and 45 minutes hunched over a vice to crank one fly out... I tie them, but they're not my first choice. I'm much more likely to tie, and use, flies that are simple and effective and quick to crank out. If they're durable besides, so much the better.

To be honest - part of my affection for quick ties is the astonishingly high probability that it'll end up in a tree somewhere.

I have my favorites that fit that description, and I'm sure all of you do to. So I thought it'd be kind of cool to share some of them here, especially now that we're getting into 'tying season.'

If there's interest, and I can figure out a camera setup that's manageable, I can get the ball rolling with something or other. I know there are some good tiers in this group, so be cool to see some of the bugs you all are creating.

"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
moosekid  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 28, 2017 11:44:03 PM(UTC)
moosekid

so quick. so effective. top five fly. best producing caddis pattern hands down. you can swing it, dunk it, fish it dry -- it just catches more fish than any caddis pattern i've ever fished. looks ugly in the vice, looks even uglier when it's wet -- but give it a try.
OTC_MN  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 30, 2017 2:24:24 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Like that caddis. Lot of similarities to one of my favorites - Charlie Craven's Mugly Caddis. In later versions of the fly recipe he replaced the CDC underwing with Snowshoe rabbit's foot, and it does work better, plus you can use paste or gel floatant on it, which you can't with CDC.

Craven's Mugly Caddis

Mugly Caddis, X Caddis, and Kelly Galloup's Butch Caddis are about the only caddis dries I carry. The Butch Caddis is a great one for fast water. About impossible to sink the thing.

"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
draik11  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 30, 2017 2:36:53 PM(UTC)
draik11

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
If you posted some tutorials on local flies that work for you I'd definitely watch the videos. I'm new to tying and have only tackled midges, frenchies, pink squirrels and generic caddis flies. I like the idea of seeing peoples flair that they add to existing patterns. Especially like the quick ties OTC! ThumpUp
madguy30  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 5, 2017 12:54:46 AM(UTC)
madguy30

No pics, but 'tutorial':
1. Wrap thread around #14 gold-beaded scud hook bend.
2. Tie in burlap, wrap threat to eye/bead.
3. 'Flatten' burlap by rolling it out, wrap around hook to the bead.
4. Tie in, cement.

Takes roughly 1-2 minutes.

Same thing for dog or cat hair except dubbing the hair on.

Final step is catch fish in pretty much any D.A. stream. :)

I'm repeating but really wish I would have known this when I first started tying so I didn't spend so much time/money on prince nymph, etc. materials.
catbag  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 5, 2017 1:14:07 PM(UTC)
catbag

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: OTC_MN Go to Quoted Post
So I was sitting at my bench cranking out some bugs last night and got to thinking (when all you're doing is prepping hooks with beads and lead wire, the mind can wander)...

Is there any interest here in some step by step how to tutorials? I know there's lots of places to get that kind of info so it might be redundant, but also might be nice to see some patterns that produce well locally or that people have adapted to their preferences.

As I've said several times in the past, I'm a big fan of what I call 'three minute flies' - as in, flies that take about three minutes to tie. I don't have a ton of patience for flies that take 17 steps, a dozen different materials, and 45 minutes hunched over a vice to crank one fly out... I tie them, but they're not my first choice. I'm much more likely to tie, and use, flies that are simple and effective and quick to crank out. If they're durable besides, so much the better.

To be honest - part of my affection for quick ties is the astonishingly high probability that it'll end up in a tree somewhere.

I have my favorites that fit that description, and I'm sure all of you do to. So I thought it'd be kind of cool to share some of them here, especially now that we're getting into 'tying season.'

If there's interest, and I can figure out a camera setup that's manageable, I can get the ball rolling with something or other. I know there are some good tiers in this group, so be cool to see some of the bugs you all are creating.

There is a lot of step by step tutorials like you said but I haven't seen anything that is area specific - so I would be interested.