Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bowl_of_mush  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 29, 2017 1:19:21 AM(UTC)
bowl_of_mush

Man
United States

Had my line hanging from a hook, giving it a rest. Vacuum grabbed a bit of tippet that was dangling, and it got destroyed right quick.
Not too happy because it was some SA GPX shark-wave i got for 40$ at Sierra Trading post.
I really liked the feel for the line, and I felt it was always my ability/Cabela's ThreeForks combo being the lacking aspects of my cast.

I need some new WF 4wt line before Trapfest in Jan.
I also know everyone has an opinion so help me with some suggestions please!RollEyes

Here's a picture, warning- its gruesome!

UserPostedImage
Guillermo  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 29, 2017 1:44:38 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bowl_of_mush Go to Quoted Post
Had my line hanging from a hook, giving it a rest. Vacuum grabbed a bit of tippet that was dangling, and it got destroyed right quick.
Not too happy because it was some SA GPX shark-wave i got for 40$ at Sierra Trading post.
I really liked the feel for the line, and I felt it was always my ability/Cabela's ThreeForks combo being the lacking aspects of my cast.

I need some new WF 4wt line before Trapfest in Jan.
I also know everyone has an opinion so help me with some suggestions please!RollEyes

Here's a picture, warning- its gruesome!

UserPostedImage

I'd recommend Cortland 444 Peach. I fish it exclusively, mostly double tapers, but the WF is very nice as well. Don't think you'd be disappointed.
Pete  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 29, 2017 3:20:34 AM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I like the GPX series, especially for Winter fishing, because it's hydrophobic properties lead to less ice in the guides and warmer fingers. If you liked it the first time around, nothing wrong with sticking with it.

How much roll casting do you do? If you rely on it a lot, I'd consider the Wulff Triangle taper. It roll casts beautifully and I've found that overhead casting isn't compromised at all either.
bowl_of_mush  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 29, 2017 1:05:16 PM(UTC)
bowl_of_mush

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Pete Go to Quoted Post
I like the GPX series, especially for Winter fishing, because it's hydrophobic properties lead to less ice in the guides and warmer fingers. If you liked it the first time around, nothing wrong with sticking with it.

How much roll casting do you do? If you rely on it a lot, I'd consider the Wulff Triangle taper. It roll casts beautifully and I've found that overhead casting isn't compromised at all either.

I've found myself not doing a ton of roll-casting in the tiny streams I tend to frequent, more so picking it up and laying it down. But thanks I'll take a look at that Wulff.

Originally Posted by: Guillermo Go to Quoted Post

I'd recommend Cortland 444 Peach. I fish it exclusively, mostly double tapers, but the WF is very nice as well. Don't think you'd be disappointed.

I'll check it out, Thanks!

weiliwen  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 29, 2017 1:48:04 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
A good equivalent to the Triangle Taper is Airflo's River and Stream - it has the continuous taper like the TT, an is a good DT line. I got this one for my Winston GVX 3 weight.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"