Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages«<234
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
weiliwen  
#31 Posted : Friday, December 15, 2017 4:50:48 AM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I went to my local TU meeting today. I had a great time. First, and foremost, several members introduced themselves to me right off. That was what I was looking for and the group met the challenge, very pleased with that. I also took Eddie's advice and "made myself available," if you will, by walking around the tables before the meetings, looking at some of the magazines, and chatting with folks; I wanted to put my own effort into it. Anyway, really good in that respect.

The meeting featured a guy who guides, mostly for SMB but also northern pike on the Kankakee River. I've never fished for either, so it was pretty interesting. A lot of the streamers he uses are not unlike some of the monstrous articulated things thrown at big ol' browns up in the Driftless Area.

Last, and certainly not least, they had a big lucky draw. I bought five tickets for $20, and with those, won FOUR prizes (no fishing stuff for some reason):

• A Braun electric shaver to replace my 20 year old one that only holds a charge long enough for one shave;

• A bottle of Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum in a gift set with two "oil can cups. "Sailor Jerry" Collins was the king of the old-school tattoo artists;

• A Camillus Titanium Stainless Steel knife set (8" and 3 1/2");

• And a Costco smoked ham!

Oh yeah, the guide gave out TFO caps to everybody, so I got one of those, too.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
thanks 1 user thanked weiliwen for this useful post.
stan b on 12/15/2017(UTC)
Gurth  
#32 Posted : Friday, December 15, 2017 5:38:29 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Hilarious!

You scored big.

But shouldn't it be Carp Unlimited or Bullhead Unlimited down there? Flapper

I kid... I kid... grew up in Joliet and fished the Kankakee with my dad a few times as a kid.

Edited by user Friday, December 15, 2017 5:39:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Your mother had a tongue like a trout!
stan b  
#33 Posted : Friday, December 15, 2017 11:29:39 AM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: weiliwen Go to Quoted Post
I went to my local TU meeting today. I had a great time. First, and foremost, several members introduced themselves to me right off. That was what I was looking for and the group met the challenge, very pleased with that. I also took Eddie's advice and "made myself available," if you will, by walking around the tables before the meetings, looking at some of the magazines, and chatting with folks; I wanted to put my own effort into it. Anyway, really good in that respect.

The meeting featured a guy who guides, mostly for SMB but also northern pike on the Kankakee River. I've never fished for either, so it was pretty interesting. A lot of the streamers he uses are not unlike some of the monstrous articulated things thrown at big ol' browns up in the Driftless Area.

Last, and certainly not least, they had a big lucky draw. I bought five tickets for $20, and with those, won FOUR prizes (no fishing stuff for some reason):

• A Braun electric shaver to replace my 20 year old one that only holds a charge long enough for one shave;

• A bottle of Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum in a gift set with two "oil can cups. "Sailor Jerry" Collins was the king of the old-school tattoo artists;

Sounds like that was a great experience.

A bottle of rum and a ham!
Geez, you are ready for a fishing trip!

The razor is no biggie, I don't shave yet!😆

Edited by user Friday, December 15, 2017 11:33:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
Pete  
#34 Posted : Friday, December 15, 2017 5:00:11 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Just curious: was it Austin Adducci or Will Winans? Our chapter had a talk by Will last year and it made some bad cabin fever even worse. It was a great talk, but with the river iced up, I couldn't do a thing about it for at least a couple of months.
weiliwen  
#35 Posted : Friday, December 15, 2017 7:23:07 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Pete, it was Austin Adducci.

Interestingly, he told me that the second half of March is actually a great time to fish for SMB on the K3, as he calls the KanKaKee, because the water is starting to warm, the fish are hungry, and they don't care about presentation. Streamers are the order of the day, big, rattly, articulated things.

Of course, he might have been marketing us to book guide trips when he's not busy! I did enjoy his presentation, though.

Edited by user Friday, December 15, 2017 7:23:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling error

Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Pete  
#36 Posted : Friday, December 15, 2017 7:52:03 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Pete, it was Austin Adducci.

Interestingly, he told me that the second half of March is actually a great time to fish for SMB on the K3, as he calls the KanKaKee, because the water is starting to warm, the fish are hungry, and they don't care about presentation. Streamers are the order of the day, big, rattly, articulated things.

Of course, he might have been marketing us to book guide trips when he's not busy! I did enjoy his presentation, though.

It really is a beautiful river. If the Fox and its tributaries weren't so close, I'd spend a lot more time on the Kankakee. When you get into the right location, it's easy to forget you're in Illinois.