Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NBrevitz  
#11 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2017 3:10:34 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I like a lot of what TU does, but some chapters get a bit snobby for me. In Northern Michigan, the best stretches of the Manistee and Au Sable Rivers are fly only. The local TU Chapters did nothing to stall this, when they’re supposed to support accessible fishing for all Trout fishermen... I find any fly fishing only regulation for public water to be rediculous, let alone when harvest is still allowed. I can fully understand a bait ban, but I can’t throw a single hook Panther? I’ve seen fish take nymphs deep and streamers rip up gills, what the hell is the difference?
I know I’ve brought this up here before, but damn does it chap my ass. The DNR didn’t lobby for the regs one bit, it was done by request...
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
thanks 1 user thanked NBrevitz for this useful post.
stan b on 12/8/2017(UTC)
stan b  
#12 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2017 1:32:21 PM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Thanks for the input.
I'll wait for a few more.

Would anyone be interested in my interactions with TU?

Stan b
"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
Pete  
#13 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2017 1:46:22 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: stan b Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the input.
I'll wait for a few more.

Would anyone be interested in my interactions with TU?

Stan b

Yes. You must've sought out everyone else's thoughts for a reason. I'm curious why you asked.
thanks 1 user thanked Pete for this useful post.
stan b on 12/8/2017(UTC)
Guillermo  
#14 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2017 1:59:38 PM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Not a member but do support them financially when I’m able to. They’re doing good work narrowing Brookie streams up north. Summer water temps are down 3-4 degrees on many blue lines.

Edited by user Friday, December 8, 2017 2:00:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Guillermo for this useful post.
stan b on 12/8/2017(UTC)
stan b  
#15 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2017 2:12:09 PM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Part of my misconception was likely due to my involvement with a couple of organizations that operate quite differently.
I will elaborate later.

I am actively involved in the AKC Retriever Hunt Tests and Field Trial functions.
I am an active 30 point judge in the Hunt Test venue.

Most of my current friends are the result of this activity and the ensuing events.

The training sessions and get togethers are the major portion of my social life.

I am also involved in Pheasants Forever, Whitetails Unlimited, a Jeep enthusiasts group, Senior Softball USA and a couple others.
All include a welcoming membership!

Maybe my expectations were too high..........maybe I just didn't fit their membership profile.

To exacerbate the issue, the national organization got involved, to some degree that was even worse.

My issue was going to a TU chapter meeting and the results of that meeting.

I've actually met more people here and made more friends here and likely have more in common with most here than that chapter.

TU keeps sending me e~mails, I respond and it gets worse.

I don't think I need to go any further, but I will say this, my AKC retriever club is hosting a shed antler test and training this weekend at;

Fox Valley Retriever Club { http://foxvalleyretrieverclub.com/ }, the event will be held @ 8206 7mile road in Franksville WI.

If you attend, I PROMISE you, you will be welcomed and find lots of outgoing friendly people.
It's something to do.

And I am cooking the brats using my secret recipe!BigGrin

All the best,
Stan b

Edited by user Friday, December 8, 2017 3:08:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
stan b  
#16 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2017 2:15:22 PM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Originally Posted by: Guillermo Go to Quoted Post
Not a member but do support them financially when I’m able to. They’re doing good work narrowing Brookie streams up north. Summer water temps are down 3-4 degrees on many blue lines.

I saw a couple up in Florence cty.
They are on some creeks that are tribs to the Pine and Popple rivers.
They are very nicely done!

Stan b

Edited by user Friday, December 8, 2017 2:18:41 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

stan b  
#17 Posted : Saturday, December 9, 2017 12:06:10 PM(UTC)
stan b

Man

So now, the rest of the story;

Your input has been helpful to me, thank You!

I went to a chapter meeting all full of enthusiasm and big ideas.
I left crushed as not 1 person even said hello.

Yep, that bugged me.
There was some interaction about it, mostly lip service.

What I've decided to do because of your comments is remain a paying member of TU national and maybe volunteer some workdays locally.

BTW-I have met and talked to some pretty solid guys in this chapter and a TU guy on this board that is a very nice man.

As far as the reputation of some being snobs?
If you don't like that reputation, don't act like one!

Thanks,

Stan b

Edited by user Saturday, December 9, 2017 1:39:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MN Driftless  
#18 Posted : Saturday, December 9, 2017 1:04:55 PM(UTC)
MN Driftless

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Former member. Former MN State board member.

I left TU a while back because of their habitat improvement "practices" in southeast MN. Right now, TU is embracing the Rosgen/woody debris methodology for stream restoration, which if you have run into it in the southeast, is awful stuff. I believe TU in southeast MN has to actually use this tactic in order to gt a permit from Ecological Services, at least in part of the project design. We have left the era of lunkers and rock as an excellent method of bank stabilization. You can debate away as to what rock/lunkers/skyhooks look like, but the reality is that when done correctly, they hold. In MN, we have sold our sold our trout souls to the Rosgen method, and that is the DNR and TU both.

TU gets pretty huffy when I start asking questions about their work, such as do you have any data to show that the Rosgen system is a good methodology for streamwork. I have been called an a-hole outwardly by my local chapter restoration guy because I question their work. Remember, just because a group does stream work doesn't mean it's good stream work, but I get hammered on because I'm attacking a volunteer group.

Someday, there will be a reckoning for all of the millions of dollars of LSOHC money (that's tax money from teh residents of MN) that was spent on these projects that will have little to show in effectiveness and sustainability. My question is who will take the blame?

Other than that, great group, cleans up highways, puts out trash bins, takes the youngins and the seniors fishing.
thanks 2 users thanked MN Driftless for this useful post.
stan b on 12/9/2017(UTC), EddieRivard on 12/9/2017(UTC)
EddieRivard  
#19 Posted : Saturday, December 9, 2017 3:40:34 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: stan b Go to Quoted Post

I went to a chapter meeting all full of enthusiasm and big ideas.
I left crushed as not 1 person even said hello.

It's unfortunate that no one said hello but it's also unfortunate that you allowed that to "crush" you. How do you know that they weren't shy or also new to the group and waiting for you to say hello to them and introduce yourself.

Your scored a D in this exercise for failing to take initiative after showing up.

I am giving you an assignment to go back to the meeting and introduce yourself to at least five people.

You can't always expect others to do the right thing. Sometimes you have to do it yourself.
thanks 1 user thanked EddieRivard for this useful post.
HookJaw on 12/10/2017(UTC)
trapper  
#20 Posted : Saturday, December 9, 2017 3:43:37 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I was totally impressed when I seen new hardwood trees being planted at new work site on Tbelle River!
Continued brush cutting is the best way to keep the water rodents under control by taking away their food sourse.
Yes, I see good things happening.
Get Reel