Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
weiliwen  
#21 Posted : Saturday, December 9, 2017 5:48:24 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: EddieRivard Go to Quoted Post

It's unfortunate that no one said hello but it's also unfortunate that you allowed that to "crush" you. How do you know that they weren't shy or also new to the group and waiting for you to say hello to them and introduce yourself.

Your scored a D in this exercise for failing to take initiative after showing up.

I am giving you an assignment to go back to the meeting and introduce yourself to at least five people.

You can't always expect others to do the right thing. Sometimes you have to do it yourself.

I guess that's one way to look at it. Unsure Not mine.

I feel that leadership of any club - be it fishing, sports cars, amateur radio should be responsible to search out new attendees and introduce themselves. I belong to, or have belonged to, several in all three categories, and the best of them did exactly that. One of my FF clubs, at my first meeting, not only had a "buddy" assigned to me for the duration of the meeting, but he brought me around introducing me to other long-time members, many who offered to buy me a drink. This was a regular occurrence at this club, and no surprise, it had a strong membership each year.

My amateur (ham) radio club does the same, and I can confirm that it results in return visits and increased membership. At my first meeting, was asked to stand up and introduce myself and tell the group a little about me. I mentioned that I was new to the hobby, and what radio I had. By the end of the meeting, I had folks coming up to me to offer to help me set up my antenna and get it tuned for the frequencies I use on my radio, knowing I was a newbie.

I went to a sports car meeting where the folks did the opposite, and sat there eyeballing any new member, and literally criticizing their car ("Did you see that POS Alfa Spider in the parking lot?" stated loudly). I never went back.

I have never had a response from the several messages I've sent to the local TU chapter leadership. I'll go to a meeting next week, and we'll see what happens.

Edited by user Saturday, December 9, 2017 5:49:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
thanks 1 user thanked weiliwen for this useful post.
stan b on 12/9/2017(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#22 Posted : Saturday, December 9, 2017 5:55:42 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: trapper Go to Quoted Post
I was totally impressed when I seen new hardwood trees being planted at new work site on Tbelle River!
Continued brush cutting is the best way to keep the water rodents under control by taking away their food sourse.
Yes, I see good things happening.

I can second Trappers comments.

A former DTA member used to complain about "golf course" HR work done on streams. I could see some of his arguments. But I also saw some streams that went from nearly unfishable, to sustainable Trout water opened up for wider public recreation. Most of the HR work I've seen recently falls more in the category of erosion control and water quality improvement - rather than creating short term fish structure that will soon be wiped out by floods. These streams hold up better to the high water events and remain productive Trout fisheries year after year.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
EddieRivard  
#23 Posted : Sunday, December 10, 2017 1:33:22 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: weiliwen Go to Quoted Post

It's unfortunate that no one said hello but it's also unfortunate that you allowed that to "crush" you. How do you know that they weren't shy or also new to the group and waiting for you to say hello to them and introduce yourself.

Your scored a D in this exercise for failing to take initiative after showing up.

I am giving you an assignment to go back to the meeting and introduce yourself to at least five people.

You can't always expect others to do the right thing. Sometimes you have to do it yourself.

I guess that's one way to look at it. Unsure Not mine.

I feel that leadership of any club - be it fishing, sports cars, amateur radio should be responsible to search out new attendees and introduce themselves. I belong to, or have belonged to, several in all three categories, and the best of them did exactly that. One of my FF clubs, at my first meeting, not only had a "buddy" assigned to me for the duration of the meeting, but he brought me around introducing me to other long-time members, many who offered to buy me a drink. This was a regular occurrence at this club, and no surprise, it had a strong membership each year.

My amateur (ham) radio club does the same, and I can confirm that it results in return visits and increased membership. At my first meeting, was asked to stand up and introduce myself and tell the group a little about me. I mentioned that I was new to the hobby, and what radio I had. By the end of the meeting, I had folks coming up to me to offer to help me set up my antenna and get it tuned for the frequencies I use on my radio, knowing I was a newbie.

I went to a sports car meeting where the folks did the opposite, and sat there eyeballing any new member, and literally criticizing their car ("Did you see that POS Alfa Spider in the parking lot?" stated loudly). I never went back.

I have never had a response from the several messages I've sent to the local TU chapter leadership. I'll go to a meeting next week, and we'll see what happens.

Your way is the right way Weiliwen and is the way everyone should strive to be in group setting. I just think that when it doesn't happen that way it doesn't have to be the end of the world. Sometimes you have to work a little harder in life and it's not always fair.

Edited by user Sunday, December 10, 2017 5:55:12 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

mbchilton  
#24 Posted : Sunday, December 10, 2017 2:33:48 AM(UTC)
mbchilton

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hey Stan, sorry about your experience. TU leaders are volunteers, and they’re not all out going people. It’s unfortunate that no one greeted you. That shouldn’t happen, but I’ll agree with Eddie that a little effort on your part could go a long way and be to your own benefit. You might meet some great people. And if you think there’s an issue, get involved and make the organization better. I think you’re shortchanging yourself if you give up.
thanks 2 users thanked mbchilton for this useful post.
WI-fly on 12/11/2017(UTC), stan b on 12/11/2017(UTC)
NBrevitz  
#25 Posted : Sunday, December 10, 2017 3:15:20 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I’ve never been a huge fan of the golf course looking stuff, but at the end of the day, I know it can improve the rest of a stream. I wish they’d spread the funding out to different streams, as opposed to dropping thousands and thousands of dollars into one already solid watershed when another two valleys over is hanging on by its fingernails.
That said, if they start trying that stuff on the northwoods, non spring fed Brookie streams I’ll get very frustrated.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
thanks 1 user thanked NBrevitz for this useful post.
stan b on 12/11/2017(UTC)
Guillermo  
#26 Posted : Sunday, December 10, 2017 8:33:31 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post
I’ve never been a huge fan of the golf course looking stuff, but at the end of the day, I know it can improve the rest of a stream. I wish they’d spread the funding out to different streams, as opposed to dropping thousands and thousands of dollars into one already solid watershed when another two valleys over is hanging on by its fingernails.
That said, if they start trying that stuff on the northwoods, non spring fed Brookie streams I’ll get very frustrated.

I'd be pissed too if they tried it up north. Highly doubt it'd happen though because it would be completely destructive. The main thing we need up north is thick canopies to shade the streams come summer and keeping an eye on beaver dams. Also narrowing the streams. Most of the streams that are now choked with tag alders were not originally. Logging allowed them to infiltrate stream banks that were once lined with old growth forest which kept the water cooler and shadier. They also eroded the banks and made the water shallower. TU an DNR are doing a good job right now with alder removal and subsequently using them once cut up to stabilize/narrow the stream channel.
thanks 1 user thanked Guillermo for this useful post.
stan b on 12/11/2017(UTC)
stan b  
#27 Posted : Sunday, December 10, 2017 1:58:12 PM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: stan b Go to Quoted Post

I went to a chapter meeting all full of enthusiasm and big ideas.
I left crushed as not 1 person even said hello.

Taken under advisement.
However, it appears you put the honus on the new member because the elected leadership of a social organization might be shy and lack basic social skills.
Perhaps not.

My solution?

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen.
Before we get started tonight, do we have any new members or visitors?"

See, if 1 as simple as I can think of this, perhaps elected leadership could and should as well.

Just sayin'.......

So, I have volunteered for work days in the field.
Especially on the Menomonee/Milwaukee River cleanup projects as I fish them a lot.
I have talked to those project leaders, the people that do the work in the field.
They are far more welcoming.
Can't wait to fulfill my Izaak Walton legacy left by my ancestors!

I will leave the monthly meetings as they are.

Thanks everyone for the input, it helped me decide how to proceed from other perspectives!

Please read my tag line below.

Stan b

Edited by user Sunday, December 10, 2017 3:53:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
thanks 1 user thanked stan b for this useful post.
weiliwen on 12/10/2017(UTC)
weiliwen  
#28 Posted : Sunday, December 10, 2017 3:30:49 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Guillermo, I totally agree on the canopy. I'm from Oregon, and east of the Cascades, it's basically all high desert. In cooperation with farmers (mostly cattle operations over there), stream rehabilitates have blocked off access to the streams for cows except certain places, and have planted trees (not willows and cottonwood, which will suck a stream dry in sufficient numbers) to add canopy over the streams. Water temperatures have gone down significantly, water levels have gone up, and trout populations up as well, as a result.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
thanks 1 user thanked weiliwen for this useful post.
Guillermo on 12/10/2017(UTC)
WI-fly  
#29 Posted : Monday, December 11, 2017 2:05:47 AM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 7 post(s)
As a TU chapter president, this is an interesting thread to read. Stan and I have had several back channel conversations about this, and I get where he is coming from with some of his frustration. I've been in the president role for 3 years and got an email critique from a guy (not Stan) after one of my first meetings as the lead. The complaint, politely stated, was that as a new member this person wasn't welcomed and didn't have an opportunity to meet others. My response to him was that I don't even know everyone in the room (about 30-50 people each meeting), so I have no idea who knows who. Some of these people have been in the chapter a long time and know one another for 30+ years. My only easy solution to his critique was to start each meeting by going around the room and having each person introduce themselves and where they are from. After that it is up to people to make their own connections (as Eddie suggested). I think it has worked pretty well to start conversations among attendees/members.

We do build in networking/chitchat time during our meetings. 6-7 p.m. is an optional social hour with dinner, drinks, and fish talk. We then do a quick chapter business talk for 15 minutes and then have our guest presenter for about the next hour.

It's a lot of work being a chapter leader, but it is work I mostly enjoy. I like meeting new people, especially those who like to fish, and I'm constantly connecting with new folks. I will often hear from out of state TU folks who come to town to fish and want to meet and need a little help with strategy, and figure out where to stay, eat, and drink. Last summer I connected with couple guys from South Carolina who came here to fish. Same for the summer before, when I was able to fish with a nice group of guys from Ohio. I showed them few places to fish, did some quick lessons on WI water access rules, pointed out the DA fly shop, and then they took me to dinner at the Driftless Cafe. Very nice of them to do that.

My name and phone number are featured on our website so I get a lot of emails and phone calls about different topics. Most of it is positive. A year ago a woman called me to say that they would like to make a donation to our chapter after her father had passed away. He was originally from the area and the whole family enjoyed many days and weeks on Driftless streams each summer. They gave us $5000 and we will use that toward a project that will happen on Warner Creek next summer. I love phone calls like that.

I'll get a lot of phone calls after a big rain event and streams banks have fallen in or there is some other issue due to flooding. "Please come fix my stream!" People are actually surprised to learn that we don't have an army of excavating equipment ready to deploy instantly the day after a flood. I educate them about where our funding and work force comes from - careful grant applications and coordinating with other volunteer organizations like rod and gun clubs. We also work closely with county conservation offices and the DNR to pull together projects. These "help me" phone calls are also a time to talk about easements on private property. Yes, we can help with stream work, but only if we are able to get an easement for public access.

I also get phone calls from landowners who are mad that careless anglers are misusing easement rights by parking where they aren't supposed to and blocking access that the farmer needs to tend to their property. I also hear about anglers taking a crap where they shouldn't! (The smart aleck in my wants to ask if the landowner can tell if the crap came from a TU member or non-member. Readying myself for you smart alecks to comment here about how you CAN tell the difference in the crap. Maybe something like it contains lots of arugula and smells like $65 cigars.)

Other good stuff about being in TU leadership - Helping out at kid fishing events, working with veterans and cancer survivors to catch fish, spending time with scout groups who are working on their fly fishing badges, teaching fly tying to a rambunctious 14 year old. It's also fantastic to get to meet other anglers (not all are TU members) who also like to support these projects. This is how I got to know Trapper. He is a constant volunteer at my TU events and other non-TU outdoor shindigs.

My biggest frustration about the TU leadership work is hearing from many members that they want to be involved with projects and then volunteer turnout is embarrassingly low when the event happens. That isn't all the time, but it drives me crazy. A lot of volunteer work ($0 pay for my TU pres job) goes into coordinating these volunteer work days.

Long story short: It's a lot of work, and often hard to balance with the rest of life (job, wife, 2 active kids, church, etc.). However, you get what you put into it as a leader or as "just" a member. Keep showing up, put yourself out there to help, and there will be plenty of opportunities to be involved.

P.S. Lots of volunteers will be needed for the March 31 Driftless 1Fly contest. More details coming in January, but put the date on your calendar.

Edited by user Monday, December 11, 2017 2:15:56 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
thanks 2 users thanked WI-fly for this useful post.
stan b on 12/11/2017(UTC), HookJaw on 12/12/2017(UTC)
stan b  
#30 Posted : Monday, December 11, 2017 11:47:53 AM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Curt,
I appreciate our talks and your guidance, I respect you and your approach.
So much so I would be proud to volunteer for your fly contest in March.

My simple solution remains;
"Before we start tonight's program, do we have any new members or visitors?"

BTW-This past weekend at an event put on by a club I am a member of I made sure each new face was welcomed and engaged.
I tried to "walk my talk" if you will!
Seemed to work out pretty well.ThumpUp

Stan b

Edited by user Monday, December 11, 2017 12:40:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
thanks 1 user thanked stan b for this useful post.
weiliwen on 12/11/2017(UTC)