Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HuggyBear  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 14, 2017 5:26:14 PM(UTC)
HuggyBear

Hello fellow DTA ding-dongs.

Its been awhile since I've posted anything, but when you have a baby, it kinda puts a damper on fishing for that first year.....

Any-who.....

I bought myself a Winston Nexus 8'6" 4wt. this past season, and I was using one of my Lamson 1.5 sized reels with it. Of course, the reel is too small, so now I find myself in the market for a new reel for this rod.

So, what have you been using? Do you like it? What don't you like about it? Do you prefer click/paw or sealed drag? What about price point?

Mind you, even though I understand that the reel is nothing more than a line holder 85% of the time here in the Driftless, I do have a appreciation for well made reels and have no qualms spending some dough on a nice reel.

WI-fly  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 14, 2017 7:23:04 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I tend to be cheap when it comes to a reel, because like you said most of the fish fighting/landing in the Driftless is not on a reel. Therefore I like the Orvis Battenkill reel. I also have a cheapie Ross that works just fine. I think there is plenty of quality out there in that $75-$150 range.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
wibirdhunter  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 14, 2017 9:18:44 PM(UTC)
wibirdhunter

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Sierra trading post may have a lamson at a good price in the size you need.
trapper  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 14, 2017 11:43:28 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Been enjoying my Echo Ion reel a lot.
Much better drag selection than reels costing twice as much
Retails at $80
The reel does much more than just holding line. Your reel should help control the fly line when removing fly line from it
Get Reel
Guillermo  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 15, 2017 2:23:08 PM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I'm partial to old english click pawls, so for the rod configuration you're using I think a Hardy Princess would be ideal. Mint used ones will cost you upwards of 300-400, but you'd probably be able to find a slightly beat-up but very fishable one for under 150. I got my hands on a LRH lightweight, which is the next size down from the princess for just over 100 bucks used. LRH might work too but it also might be a tad bit light for the rod length you're talking about.
William Schlafer  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 20, 2017 12:48:25 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I've been eyeing this Cheeky Tyro 300 reel for awhile now:

UserPostedImage

$129 - $149 depending upon line weight/size. A nice solid reel.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
OTC_MN  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 20, 2017 3:00:59 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Orvis Clearwaters and Battenkills are both great reels. I have a couple Clearwaters that have been great.

I've gotten to be a Lamson-Waterworks fanboy lately though. Got a Remix to go with the 4w Scott G2 I got on clearance last summer and love it. Ended up replacing the reel I had on my Euro nymphing rod with another Remix, and got a Liquid to put on another rod besides. When I got the second Remix, I bought the 3-pack, which comes with two spare spools, and the spools work with both the Liquid and Remix. So I can kind of mix and match with other lines if I choose to. Been great reels so far.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
William Schlafer  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 20, 2017 7:21:11 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
And, if you're looking for ultra cheap, there's this Kaydeross Fly Reel from The Fly Shack for only $23. I don't have any experience with this one, but for the price you can't go too wrong.

Made from fiberglass impregnated nylon - which is interesting. Can't be any worse than some of those flimsy stamped steel ones out of China.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Hoggies  
#9 Posted : Saturday, December 30, 2017 10:14:32 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I got handed down a 6w rod with a non-switchable right-hand retrieve reel recently, so I bought a Cabela's Wind River this week for $40. I also picked up their bottom end backer/line/leader pack (the bargain stars aligned and the 6w pack was $15).
madguy30  
#10 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 1:50:13 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
This time of year I won't be using any reel...found out Tenkara is the way to go last year. :)

My reels are cheapish but durable and do the job.