Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stan b  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 14, 2017 6:10:15 PM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Can i get recommendations for the nicest place to stay near Virocqua?

$$ not an issue, just a neat, clean place near the activities (fishing).

Edited by user Thursday, December 14, 2017 6:10:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
Sponsor
WI-fly  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 14, 2017 7:15:40 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Stan,

I think the Hickory Hill is the name of the place I was trying to think of the other day. I've never stayed there, but have heard it is cheap and easy. The Timber Coulee Cottage is a fun place to rent, but it books up fast for spring dates. I see that it is already reserved around the 1Fly dates.

For food in Viroqua I like Dave's Pizza and the Driftless Cafe. The DC can be swanky, but they do have very good food. Legion has a great beer selection. I also like going to the People's Food Co-op for snacks/supplies. Good beer selection too.

If you find yourself in Coon Valley, I really like the Stockyard Grill and Saloon. Nothing fancy, just good food and drinks typical of small town Wisconsin. It's very close to the Timber system, so good place for lunch or dinner if you are fishing there.

Borgen's in Westby is a good breakfast spot, but they don't open until 7. Not the place to go if you are trying to catch the sunrise fish.

Hopefully we can connect for fishing when you are over here. I promise not to inundate you with my liberal politics chatter!

=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
thanks 1 user thanked WI-fly for this useful post.
stan b on 12/14/2017(UTC)
draik11  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 14, 2017 7:29:24 PM(UTC)
draik11

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I recently looked up AirBnB options around Viroqua and there are some very nice places to stay for under 100 dollars, hop on their website and take a look. A few of them are right next to tribs of the Timber Coulee. If you are looking for a good place to eat during the spring/summer/fall months, I'd highly recommend getting a Chicken BBQ at the Rockton Bar at 1 PM on Sundays. It can't be beat, for under $11 you get half a chicken, beans, potato salad, pasta salad and a roll.

And to build off this, if money isn't an issue, I've found AirBnbs in the $100 to $200 dollar a night range that are basically mansions.

Edited by user Thursday, December 14, 2017 7:30:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked draik11 for this useful post.
stan b on 12/14/2017(UTC)
stan b  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 14, 2017 7:40:24 PM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Originally Posted by: WI-fly Go to Quoted Post
Stan,

I think the Hickory Hill is the name of the place I was trying to think of the other day. I've never stayed there, but have heard it is cheap and easy. The Timber Coulee Cottage is a fun place to rent, but it books up fast for spring dates. I see that it is already reserved around the 1Fly dates.

For food in Viroqua I like Dave's Pizza and the Driftless Cafe. The DC can be swanky, but they do have very good food. Legion has a great beer selection. I also like going to the People's Food Co-op for snacks/supplies. Good beer selection too.

If you find yourself in Coon Valley, I really like the Stockyard Grill and Saloon. Nothing fancy, just good food and drinks typical of small town Wisconsin. It's very close to the Timber system, so good place for lunch or dinner if you are fishing there.

Borgen's in Westby is a good breakfast spot, but they don't open until 7. Not the place to go if you are trying to catch the sunrise fish.

Hopefully we can connect for fishing when you are over here. I promise not to inundate you with my liberal politics chatter!

I was looking for something during those dates of 1 fly.

I don't begrudge anyone's politics, we have all traveled different roads to where we are.
I don't care for bullying and name calling, I know that's not you.

Besides, I'd be picking your brain about the sport, not crap I'm trying to get away from! (;

I will look at some of those BnB things.
Thanks to you and drain.
I think the driftless fly shop lists a couple.

BTW~if I was in the 1fly contest, it would be an olive wooly bigger!

Stan b

Edited by user Thursday, December 14, 2017 7:42:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
WI-fly  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 14, 2017 7:47:17 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: stan b Go to Quoted Post

Besides, I'd be picking your brain about the sport, not crap I'm trying to get away from! (;

Stan b

I agree with you on fishing to get away from the BS of life. We all need more of that down time.

Olive is a great color for the 1Fly and that time of the year. The winning team last year had all olive bugs.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
draik11  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 14, 2017 10:30:28 PM(UTC)
draik11

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)

Stan b

I agree with you on fishing to get away from the BS of life. We all need more of that down time.

Olive is a great color for the 1Fly and that time of the year. The winning team last year had all olive bugs.

Well, now I know what I'm fishing come spring time. Laugh

stan b  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 14, 2017 11:12:36 PM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Originally Posted by: draik11 Go to Quoted Post

Stan b

Well, now I know what I'm fishing come spring time. Laugh

I wouldn't go by what I say, I've only caught 4 trout in my life!Woot
William Schlafer  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 14, 2017 11:40:32 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 81 post(s)
The Driftless Angler Fly Shop has an apartment for rent right above the fly shop right in downtown Viroqua!

$90/night, but you get two bedrooms, a full kitchen, sat TV, laundry and a deck with a grill. Also, anything you need can be found within walking distance. They usually book up fast when the season starts, so call early.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 1 user thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
stan b on 1/1/2018(UTC)
weiliwen  
#9 Posted : Thursday, December 14, 2017 11:44:07 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Dunno about the politics bit, but I agree on AirBnB. I use it exclusively. Always much more comfortable and homey than hotels or motels. There's a couple that lives midway between Viroqua and Westby with whom I've stayed a couple times. They are sweet. The guy has his own album, mostly acoustic, and the first song on the album is "Avalanche," about fly fishing the Kick, which I always play just before I arrive. I've stayed at quite a few places, and have, honestly, never been disappointed.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
thanks 1 user thanked weiliwen for this useful post.
stan b on 12/15/2017(UTC)
stan b  
#10 Posted : Friday, December 15, 2017 11:23:45 AM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Originally Posted by: weiliwen Go to Quoted Post
Dunno about the politics bit, but I agree on AirBnB. I use it exclusively. Always much more comfortable and homey than hotels or motels. There's a couple that lives midway between Viroqua and Westby with whom I've stayed a couple times. They are sweet. The guy has his own album, mostly acoustic, and the first song on the album is "Avalanche," about fly fishing the Kick, which I always play just before I arrive. I've stayed at quite a few places, and have, honestly, never been disappointed.

Do you have 1 you like Best?