Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stan b  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 23, 2017 7:59:49 PM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Which do you like better.

An Echo Ion reel
A Battenkill reel

Size 8

Stan b
"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
Sponsor
BTJ  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 23, 2017 9:57:28 PM(UTC)
BTJ

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have used a battenkill for a few years now. Can’t speak to the other reel but the battenkill is very well made and a solid reel. Looks nice too. Even so, I wouldn’t buy again simply because it isn’t a large arbor. My previous reel was large arbor and the difference in line twisting and trouble is noticeable. I didn’t think when I got it that the difference would be so big but it is. I am getting a new rod for the holidays from my wife and I’m looking at the Reddington zero. Seems pretty nice for pretty cheap.

Edited by user Saturday, December 23, 2017 9:59:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked BTJ for this useful post.
stan b on 12/23/2017(UTC), EddieRivard on 12/26/2017(UTC)
Pete  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 23, 2017 11:02:30 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I can't comment on the Battenkill-never used one-but like my Echo Ions. They perform well and didn't break the bank. I haven't really put them under duress-no extreme cold steelheading, no salt water fishing-but they've done everything I've needed them to do and done it well. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.
thanks 3 users thanked Pete for this useful post.
stan b on 12/23/2017(UTC), trapper on 12/24/2017(UTC), EddieRivard on 12/26/2017(UTC)
OTC_MN  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 26, 2017 3:59:33 AM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I'll concur with BTJ on their being some very tangible advantages to a large arbor reel. I've come to prefer them. Have a Battenkill and some other standard arbor reels on my 2 and 3W glass rods, but I don't think I'd go that route again. For Orvis reels, take a look at the Clearwaters. They're nothing fancy, but they're solid and reliable - and large arbor. Have a couple of them.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
thanks 2 users thanked OTC_MN for this useful post.
stan b on 12/26/2017(UTC), EddieRivard on 12/26/2017(UTC)
EddieRivard  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 26, 2017 4:22:19 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 11 post(s)
One of the nice things about having a blog is that from time to time companies will send me free gear in hopes that I will post favorable reviews of their product on my blog. A while back I recieved a Piscifun Sword Fly Reel and after conducting a battery of tests it has performed flawlessly. The only thing I haven't done with it is hook into a huge fish that has went on a long run with it. I was waiting for that to happen before I made a blog post recommending the reel to my legions of fans. I highly recommend the Piscifun line of reels to anyone hoping to get some bang for their buck.

https://www.piscifun.com...zJ0_4lMV1OMaAtcXEALw_wcB

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked EddieRivard for this useful post.
stan b on 12/26/2017(UTC)
Trouts  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 26, 2017 6:24:14 PM(UTC)
Trouts

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Both reels you are looking at should serve you well. I much prefer a click pawl, but realize I’m in the minority here. Another option is some of the Cabela’s mid priced reels. http://www.cabelas.com/p...IER/2429715.uts?slotId=2
I have 3 of these from the older model they discontinued and they served me well so far. These look the same except for a few cosmetic changes. They are made by Lamson and are a decent reel when Cabela’s put them on sale at 50% off every month or so. I picked them up on clearance for something less than $30 each. The finish is cheap and flakes off easy but make good streamer reels that are going to get beat up anyway. With Cabela’s lifetime warranty if you have any issues just return them. As with most things you get what you pay for but most of the reels in the $75-100 range are very serviceable these days.
“If the trout are lost, smash the state. More than any other fish, trout are dependent upon the ambience in which they are caught… At the first signs of deterioration, this otherwise vigorous fish just politely quits, as if to say, ‘If that’s how you want it…’”
thanks 1 user thanked Trouts for this useful post.
stan b on 12/26/2017(UTC)
stan b  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 26, 2017 8:20:25 PM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: EddieRivard Go to Quoted Post
One of the nice things about having a blog is that from time to time companies will send me free gear in hopes that I will post favorable reviews of their product on my blog. A while back I recieved a Piscifun Sword Fly Reel and after conducting a battery of tests it has performed flawlessly. The only thing I haven't done with it is hook into a huge fish that has went on a long run with it. I was waiting for that to happen before I made a blog post recommending the reel to my legions of fans. I highly recommend the Piscifun line of reels to anyone hoping to get some bang for their buck.

UserPostedImage

Pretty amazing pricing!

Thanks ER!
"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
OTC_MN  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 27, 2017 3:06:49 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: EddieRivard Go to Quoted Post
One of the nice things about having a blog is that from time to time companies will send me free gear in hopes that I will post favorable reviews of their product on my blog.

Perks of being an outdoor writer. It's like getting Christmas presents at random, from people you don't know. Back when I was a fishing magazine editor, stuff used to show up at my door all the time. Came home from work one day to a box with an entire series of rods. Blink

I know someone who's had good luck with the Piscifun fly reels. Can't beat the pricing that's for sure. I'm thinking about getting a couple cheap 4W rods to leave at our cabin for kids to knock around with, and those might be the reels that go on them.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
Troutfishingggg  
#9 Posted : Thursday, December 28, 2017 2:55:43 AM(UTC)
Troutfishingggg

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Discount code (15% Off) for all DTAers who want to have a try on fly fishing products from Piscifun

Discount code: DTA
Apply it at the checkout to save 15%
More Details >> https://www.piscifun.com/collections/fly-fishing

Happy New Year & Tight Lines

Edited by user Thursday, December 28, 2017 2:58:19 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Troutfishingggg for this useful post.
EddieRivard on 12/28/2017(UTC)
EddieRivard  
#10 Posted : Thursday, December 28, 2017 3:10:24 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Troutfishingggg Go to Quoted Post
Discount code (15% Off) for all DTAers who want to have a try on fly fishing products from Piscifun

Discount code: DTA
Apply it at the checkout to save 15%
More Details >> https://www.piscifun.com/collections/fly-fishing

Happy New Year & Tight Lines

I was able to leverage the considerable clout I have in the fly fishing industry to negotiate this awesome discount with the Piscifun brand.
Piscifun-the official fly reel of DTA. :)
-Eddie

Edited by user Thursday, December 28, 2017 3:11:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified