Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HookJaw  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 30, 2017 2:17:01 PM(UTC)
HookJaw

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)

Anyone who fishes the South Fork of the Bad Axe River has seen the damage done by recent floods.
Downstream from Purdy, this valley gets absolutely ripped to shreds every few years.

Amazingly, trout are extremely abundant in the S. Fork of the Bad Axe: just check the Regs for this section!

And this is no Timber Coulee -- there are numbers AND size.
Just ask Fishery Supervisor Jordan Weeks about the S. Fork sometime...

I think the health of the trout population is largely due to the work done upstream.
Norwegian/Hornby/Sidie Hollows... and in the last few years, the upper S. Fork. Here's the latest:

http://lacrossetribune.c...a-ad80-de09d835dade.html

...cruisin the 'Poo in my Gum Tree Canoe
thanks 1 user thanked HookJaw for this useful post.
stan b on 12/30/2017(UTC)
weiliwen  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 30, 2017 2:44:44 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Thanks, very interesting article. I'm fond of fishing this stream, and the tributaries you mentioned.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
William Schlafer  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 3:44:35 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Sure wish there was some stream easements on the upper portion of the South Fork (south and east of Sidie Hollow). There's a three mile long section of that valley that's completely land locked and looks inviting on the sat photos. I drove past the only bridge crossing at Ellefson Road a few years back, but it was heavily overgrown along the creek and lots of No Trespassing signs around.

I've fished the North Branch a number of times, but it's usually very busy. The Springfield Branch is fun, but really turns into a jungle by mid-summer. Watched a guy land a 22" Brown right by the bridge at Eagle Eye last spring.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Guillermo  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 2, 2018 2:04:10 PM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
Sure wish there was some stream easements on the upper portion of the South Fork (south and east of Sidie Hollow). There's a three mile long section of that valley that's completely land locked and looks inviting on the sat photos. I drove past the only bridge crossing at Ellefson Road a few years back, but it was heavily overgrown along the creek and lots of No Trespassing signs around.

I've fished the North Branch a number of times, but it's usually very busy. The Springfield Branch is fun, but really turns into a jungle by mid-summer. Watched a guy land a 22" Brown right by the bridge at Eagle Eye last spring.

-Bill

Maybe I'm wrong, and I have been many times before, but it would seem to me that the earthen dam on the South Fork just above its confluence with the outlet of Sidie Hollow Lake would be considered an "obstruction" per Wisconsin water law and allow a wading angler to traverse around it and re-enter above the dam at the nearest possible point, assuming the area around the dam is in fact private property. It'd make for a hell of a hike up to that bridge on Ellefson road, but I bet it'd be worth it.
William Schlafer  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 2, 2018 3:33:40 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Guillermo Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post

-Bill

Maybe I'm wrong, and I have been many times before, but it would seem to me that the earthen dam on the South Fork just above its confluence with the outlet of Sidie Hollow Lake would be considered an "obstruction" per Wisconsin water law and allow a wading angler to traverse around it and re-enter above the dam at the nearest possible point, assuming the area around the dam is in fact private property. It'd make for a hell of a hike up to that bridge on Ellefson road, but I bet it'd be worth it.

I think you're correct.

The land immediately below the Sidie Hollow Park dam, including the spillway and the resulting creek that feeds into the South Fork, is part of the park and open to the public. However, further down, around the corner and back up the South Fork valley (and the second impoundment) is private land. I have a hard and fast rule that no matter what the situation I never cross a fence or field unless I know I'm welcome there.

Most of the valley appears to be cattle pasture and there are several springs feeding the creek along the valley. There are some dirt roads and paths leading down to the valley from the farms up on the ridge, but I never got up the nerve to knock on their doors to see if they would let me make the long hike down through the woods into the valley. Further up the valley the creek looks even more like prime Trout water. However, there are a number of vacation/hunting cabins there with a single dirt road leading in. Getting permission to use that path would be tricky and would likely require a 4wd vehicle.

Figuring out stream access is a big part of this game. Having friends in the area that you can name drop is an advantage and can open a few doors. But being one of those "big city outsiders" certainly limits where I'm likely to get permission. This might just be one of those streams that the locals have been trying to keep on the down-low to keep others out. Most of the area land owners I've met are more concerned about deer poachers, than they are about someone walking along a stream bank on their property.

Maybe someday I'll get a Kayak and float my way down the valley to see what lives there.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
big_river_bum  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2018 1:37:41 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
last time I was below sidie hollow dam the beaver dams have about taken out the fence line at the lower end of the property. told Jordan about it

eh, it's all chub water anyway