Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<12345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WI-fly  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2018 3:22:09 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: big_river_bum Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: WI-fly Go to Quoted Post
I find myself doing the same thing, fishing the same spots. Mainly this is due to proximity to these streams and trying to be efficient with my time while balancing rec time with work and family. I think I should pull out a map of La Crosse County and try to fish as many of those sections as I can this spring and summer. I've never fished Bostwick and that is about a 10 minute drive for me. I know it isn't blue ribbon water, but there are fish there.

will you be at trapfest on Saturday night? I can share my experience on botswick. used to fish it multiple times a week

Shoot, I won't be there. My wife and daughter both have birthdays this week and we are going out to dinner to celebrate on Saturday.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
mmalyuk  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2018 8:22:09 PM(UTC)
mmalyuk

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have about 10 spots I hit frequently. After that I use the Wisconsin Atlas & Gazetteer, the trout maps, and combine that with several phone maps apps to come up with new spots. This also helps tremendously to get off the beaten track...more and bigger fish. Got dozen plus new spots already picked out for this year. Wisconsin trout options are endless and exploring pays off!
thanks 2 users thanked mmalyuk for this useful post.
stan b on 1/3/2018(UTC), EddieRivard on 1/3/2018(UTC)
shebs  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2018 10:29:07 PM(UTC)
shebs

Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
I've never fished Bostwick and that is about a 10 minute drive for me. I know it isn't blue ribbon water, but there are fish there.

Yup, I've been eyeing that stream up too for a couple seasons now, mostly due to it's proximity to the Timber Coulee. According to the DNR, a good chunk of it is Class I water, but that doesn't always indicate if it's fishable or not. I've also been meaning to try the Little La Crosse River.

-Bill

Little La Crosse is interesting water - not your typical driftless stream. Tannin/brown stain to the water - more similar to the water to the north than the stuff to the south. It's big, though, and surprisingly swift. The section I fished (the public land just south of Fort McCoy) was certainly not long rod friendly - the banks are very brushy, so bank fishing is practically impossible except on a handful of corner pools - and you'd still have to wade to get to them, as the undergrowth is that dense down there. You'll find yourself tits deep, or worse, if you don't wade carefully. It was a workout wading upstream - the current was pretty stiff and the water fairly deep - but maybe it slows down as you get further downstream? Ron and I didn't have much luck (maybe a dozen for each of us, nothing particularly notable, in ~4 hours) the one time we tried to fish it, but I think it warrants further exploration. Maybe the problem was that it was a warm and bluebird sky day at last fall's trapfest?
Snuck up on a couple of huge swamp bucks down there, tho.

Definitely an experience with the artillery practice in the background and the low banking C-130s, though ThumpUp

Edited by user Wednesday, January 3, 2018 10:32:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
shebs  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2018 10:35:05 PM(UTC)
shebs

Originally Posted by: mmalyuk Go to Quoted Post
I have about 10 spots I hit frequently. After that I use the Wisconsin Atlas & Gazetteer, the trout maps, and combine that with several phone maps apps to come up with new spots. This also helps tremendously to get off the beaten track...more and bigger fish. Got dozen plus new spots already picked out for this year. Wisconsin trout options are endless and exploring pays off!

Ahhh...internet fishing! Gotta do something in the winter! combine with a plat map, knock on some doors, and when you find that one awesome stream that is only accessible via a friendly landowner, bring them a fish or two (or share your beer), and you're set!
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
thanks 2 users thanked shebs for this useful post.
EddieRivard on 1/3/2018(UTC), NBrevitz on 1/4/2018(UTC)
big_river_bum  
#25 Posted : Friday, January 5, 2018 2:18:32 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Originally Posted by: shebs Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
I've never fished Bostwick and that is about a 10 minute drive for me. I know it isn't blue ribbon water, but there are fish there.

Yup, I've been eyeing that stream up too for a couple seasons now, mostly due to it's proximity to the Timber Coulee. According to the DNR, a good chunk of it is Class I water, but that doesn't always indicate if it's fishable or not. I've also been meaning to try the Little La Crosse River.

-Bill

Little La Crosse is interesting water - not your typical driftless stream. Tannin/brown stain to the water - more similar to the water to the north than the stuff to the south. It's big, though, and surprisingly swift. The section I fished (the public land just south of Fort McCoy) was certainly not long rod friendly - the banks are very brushy, so bank fishing is practically impossible except on a handful of corner pools - and you'd still have to wade to get to them, as the undergrowth is that dense down there. You'll find yourself tits deep, or worse, if you don't wade carefully. It was a workout wading upstream - the current was pretty stiff and the water fairly deep - but maybe it slows down as you get further downstream? Ron and I didn't have much luck (maybe a dozen for each of us, nothing particularly notable, in ~4 hours) the one time we tried to fish it, but I think it warrants further exploration. Maybe the problem was that it was a warm and bluebird sky day at last fall's trapfest?
Snuck up on a couple of huge swamp bucks down there, tho.

Definitely an experience with the artillery practice in the background and the low banking C-130s, though ThumpUp

i think you're thinking of just the regular "lacrosse river". you're right about that section below fort McCoy. as I remember it all of the holes were sandbar drop-offs. the little lax runs from the cashton area north towards sparta
big_river_bum  
#26 Posted : Friday, January 5, 2018 2:23:28 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

it's amazing how quickly the landscape changes around the interstate there once you get east of like bangor. huge hills to flat flat flat marshland
shebs  
#27 Posted : Friday, January 5, 2018 2:42:57 AM(UTC)
shebs

i think you're thinking of just the regular "lacrosse river". you're right about that section below fort McCoy. as I remember it all of the holes were sandbar drop-offs. the little lax runs from the cashton area north towards sparta

You are totally correct. My mistake.

I did fish the little la Crosse river, at the previous year's fall trapfest though LOL
Nice little crick, beautiful looking HI section by melvina...mostly dinks tho, but it only got a couple hours of effort before sundown from me. Another "worth further exploration" stream for me.

it's amazing how quickly the landscape changes around the interstate there once you get east of like bangor. huge hills to flat flat flat marshland

Those pine barrens to the east and north are awesome...some seriously under-appreciated water imho
Some really nice streams in monroe/jackson/trempealeau counties, and I never see anyone fishing them.

Edited by user Friday, January 5, 2018 3:23:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rschmidt  
#28 Posted : Friday, January 5, 2018 5:14:46 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 5 post(s)
For the limited time I had to fish last year, I did get to quite a few new to me streams. A few places that I wouldn't be surprised if Shebs and I were the only ones to ever fish it in the history of the world. R
NBrevitz  
#29 Posted : Friday, January 5, 2018 7:28:43 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Monroe, Jackson and Trempeleau County are all criminally underfished
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
shebs  
#30 Posted : Friday, January 5, 2018 5:13:37 PM(UTC)
shebs

Originally Posted by: rschmidt Go to Quoted Post
For the limited time I had to fish last year, I did get to quite a few new to me streams. A few places that I wouldn't be surprised if Shebs and I were the only ones to ever fish it in the history of the world. R

Limited my ass! You must have fished 100 days or more last year!