Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages«<23456>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gurth  
#31 Posted : Friday, January 5, 2018 5:31:57 PM(UTC)
Gurth
Rank: Stone Fly

Joined: 11/7/2016(UTC)
Posts: 757
Man
Location: Madison

Thanks: 34 times
Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Originally Posted by: shebs Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: rschmidt Go to Quoted Post
For the limited time I had to fish last year, I did get to quite a few new to me streams. A few places that I wouldn't be surprised if Shebs and I were the only ones to ever fish it in the history of the world. R


Limited my ass! You must have fished 100 days or more last year!




Limited is a relative term.

I was around 100 times and would have been more comfortable around 150.

Flapper
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
thanks 2 users thanked Gurth for this useful post.
stan b on 1/5/2018(UTC), rschmidt on 1/6/2018(UTC)
shebs  
#32 Posted : Friday, January 5, 2018 7:19:37 PM(UTC)
shebs
Rank: Stone Fly

Joined: 5/12/2014(UTC)
Posts: 876
Location: Mpls

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: shebs Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: rschmidt Go to Quoted Post
For the limited time I had to fish last year, I did get to quite a few new to me streams. A few places that I wouldn't be surprised if Shebs and I were the only ones to ever fish it in the history of the world. R


Limited my ass! You must have fished 100 days or more last year!




Limited is a relative term.

I was around 100 times and would have been more comfortable around 150.

Flapper


Oh for sure, but ron was definitely closer to 150 LOL
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
WI-fly  
#33 Posted : Friday, January 5, 2018 7:26:36 PM(UTC)
WI-fly
Rank: May Fly

Joined: 9/19/2015(UTC)
Posts: 450
Man
Location: La Crosse, WI

Thanks: 5 times
Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post
Monroe, Jackson and Trempeleau County are all criminally underfished


Bob Micheel (Monroe Co conservation guy) and John Noble (fisheries biologist from Ft. McCoy) were our presenters at a fall CRTU meeting. They talked a lot about all there is to fish in Monroe County. Plenty of great water that doesn't see a lot of pressure. I've never been on Fort McCoy, but there is a good variety of fish and water there. https://ftmccoy.isportsman.net/fishing.aspx

I haven't fished it in a while, but I have had a few good trips to the section below the Angelo Dam (La Crosse River). Plenty of fat rainbows in there. Head farther down the La Crosse and you'll have a good shot at muskies on the fly. Catching a feisty muskie would certainly be a rut buster.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
Pete  
#34 Posted : Saturday, January 6, 2018 12:59:36 AM(UTC)
Pete
Rank: Dragon Fly

Joined: 6/30/2011(UTC)
Posts: 525
Location: Far west suburbs of Chicago

Thanks: 3 times
Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post
Monroe, Jackson and Trempeleau County are all criminally underfished


Fishing Jackson County would be a waste of anyone's time-no fish there, so don't bother.

You are correct about it being under fished: I was walking along the shoulder of a county road one morning about to take a deer trail down to the stream; a local farmer pulled up and stopped and when he saw the rod in my hand said, "You are fishing. I didn't believe my eyes because nobody fishes for trout around here." I guess with the Black River being right there-and it is a beautiful body of water-and a lot of good still water opportunities all around, brook trout don't get bothered much. Oh well, more for us.
big_river_bum  
#35 Posted : Saturday, January 6, 2018 11:50:14 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum
Rank: Dragon Fly

Joined: 6/18/2012(UTC)
Posts: 529
Location: Genoa

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Pete Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post
Monroe, Jackson and Trempeleau County are all criminally underfished


Fishing Jackson County would be a waste of anyone's time-no fish there, so don't bother.

You are correct about it being under fished: I was walking along the shoulder of a county road one morning about to take a deer trail down to the stream; a local farmer pulled up and stopped and when he saw the rod in my hand said, "You are fishing. I didn't believe my eyes because nobody fishes for trout around here." I guess with the Black River being right there-and it is a beautiful body of water-and a lot of good still water opportunities all around, brook trout don't get bothered much. Oh well, more for us.



an ol' farmer pulled up and was so excited I was trout fishing he offered me a ride back to my truck. only place that's ever happened for me
rschmidt  
#36 Posted : Saturday, January 6, 2018 1:53:42 PM(UTC)
rschmidt
Rank: May Fly

Joined: 1/16/2015(UTC)
Posts: 440
Location: West WI

Thanks: 13 times
Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Muhahahaha! Opener is here...Let's get ready to ruuummmbllllle!!!
rschmidt  
#37 Posted : Saturday, January 6, 2018 1:57:40 PM(UTC)
rschmidt
Rank: May Fly

Joined: 1/16/2015(UTC)
Posts: 440
Location: West WI

Thanks: 13 times
Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
I agree, do not waste your time on Jackson County...it sucks! Flapper R
chiflyguy  
#38 Posted : Saturday, January 6, 2018 9:34:15 PM(UTC)
chiflyguy
Rank: Midge

Joined: 12/7/2017(UTC)
Posts: 5
United States
Location: Brookfield Illinois

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I’m studying this today.....
Map Guide to Improved Trout Waters of Wisconsin, Expanded Second Edition https://www.amazon.com/d...w_r_cp_api_PcuuAbF5BFHSB

s.t.fanatic  
#39 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 3:46:02 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic
Rank: Dragon Fly

Joined: 3/24/2010(UTC)
Posts: 667
Location: Altura

Thanks: 32 times
Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
This topic is the exact reason I dont fish "improved" water all that much. On traditional non-improved streams with every spring snow melt and heavy rains they are constantly changing. I always love fishing some of my go to streams after the water clears from a flood event to get out and see the new holes. Sure some of the great holes over the years fill in but often times new holes are created in other spots to find. Always an adventure. Not so much on "improved" streams.
Gurth  
#40 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 8:55:26 PM(UTC)
Gurth
Rank: Stone Fly

Joined: 11/7/2016(UTC)
Posts: 757
Man
Location: Madison

Thanks: 34 times
Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Originally Posted by: s.t.fanatic Go to Quoted Post
This topic is the exact reason I dont fish "improved" water all that much. On traditional non-improved streams with every spring snow melt and heavy rains they are constantly changing. I always love fishing some of my go to streams after the water clears from a flood event to get out and see the new holes. Sure some of the great holes over the years fill in but often times new holes are created in other spots to find. Always an adventure. Not so much on "improved" streams.



I appreciate where you're coming from and feel much the same in a general way (in regards to wanting unpredictability) although I fish improved streams probably as much as anywhere else. Or… I don't avoid them anyway.

I like a balance amongst easy fishing (as a buddy says - you gotta treat yourself sometimes) and jungle bushwhacking... honey holes and tough little shithole creeks. Can't do any of them all the time.

I scratch my itch by going to new places as much as possible. Often really tough places that just end up ticking me off in the end or… are quite rewarding every once in a while.

A few years ago, when I was fishing far less, I would go to the same places over and over and over.

One day, my wife's like "again?" Aren't there hundreds of streams?

I thought about it.

But… but… but… I only get out every so often and I don't want to get shutout.

She's like… "I thought you're good at this."

Ouch.


Started going to new places and went in the complete opposite direction where I would avoid my old favorites and hunger for new challenges. I'd actually get pissy with my buddies when they'd want to meet at the "home" streams and I'd only grudgingly go.

This wandering not only made trouting more satisfying and interesting and gave me exponentially more spots, but it also made me a much better trout fisherman.

I now balance old favorites and seldom visited places with new streams and spots.

But man do I have the wanderlust bad.


Gotta decide on that for this weekend. Really itchin' to try a couple of new places that I've scoped/scouted, but hate to do it when the weather may shut everything down. Want to hit the new spot(s) when they can be given a fair shot.

At least if I go to an old favorite and get nothing, I'll know that there are actually fish there and maybe the weather was the issue.

There's that voice again… "I thought you're good at this."

Oh… I am. Wink

We'll see what the weekend brings.


Regarding improved sections though… they do change or at least the fish do. My "best" holes often fail to deliver while some featureless shallow little stretch that's never produced will all of a sudden have fish in it.




.

Edited by user Thursday, January 11, 2018 8:57:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Users browsing this topic
6 Pages«<23456>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2018, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.636 seconds.