Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
madguy30  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 2:05:41 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Think I just have spring fever, but always trying to improve my tactics for wet wading for once May gets here.

I've 'studded' some toes-closed sandals with tire studs the past few years but, the studs tend to come out easily...might just be that the sandals had cheaper/bad rubber outsoles.

I hate even 'lightweight' wading boot so not going to go that route--don't even in the winter season (old big hiking shoes over the waders).

Anyone have any know how on what type of outsole is best for DIY studs?

Anyone tried these? There's spots established for studs so that's nice.

https://www.backcountry....-riprap-sandal-mens?rr=t

Thanks.
Sponsor
NE IA Drifter  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 2:14:32 AM(UTC)
NE IA Drifter

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I am curious to try the rock treads form of wading studs. I've used the Simms wading studs and wasn't impressed (plus the cost is crazy) the rock treads have a locking component that the studs screw into that goes in through the top of the sole.

I was planning to pick some up at the fly fishing show in Denver but none of their dealers had any at the show. If I make it to one of the shops soon I'll pick up a set.

I use the keen wading sandals for wet wading in the summer and might use a set of these on them as well if I'm happy with results.
mbchilton  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 3:09:48 AM(UTC)
mbchilton

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I have the closed side version of that Simms shoe and ran them hard last summer. I traveled quite a bit, and they allowed me to wade fish Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and Alberta without having to pack waders and boots on plane trips. I neglected my waders, even at home, once I picked up those shoes. I will tell you it takes a bit for your feet to get used to them. The back strap can rub. My first trip I hiked a bunch of the Yakima. Before my flight out of Seattle I was going to hit the Sound for sea run cutts. I started to wade out in the salt, and busted open a big blister on my foot that ended thoughts of fishing. It was a painful, shoeless walk on pavement back to the car. I didn’t put studs on them, but should have. I got super frustrated trying to stay upright on the Bow River.
madguy30  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 3:48:23 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Originally Posted by: mbchilton Go to Quoted Post
I have the closed side version of that Simms shoe and ran them hard last summer. I traveled quite a bit, and they allowed me to wade fish Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and Alberta without having to pack waders and boots on plane trips. I neglected my waders, even at home, once I picked up those shoes. I will tell you it takes a bit for your feet to get used to them. The back strap can rub. My first trip I hiked a bunch of the Yakima. Before my flight out of Seattle I was going to hit the Sound for sea run cutts. I started to wade out in the salt, and busted open a big blister on my foot that ended thoughts of fishing. It was a painful, shoeless walk on pavement back to the car. I didn’t put studs on them, but should have. I got super frustrated trying to stay upright on the Bow River.

I found some closed-toed sandals at Kohl's of all places last summer that have an elastic back strap that was WAY more comfortable on my feet, problem being they're pretty cheap otherwise, especially the outsole.

I'm surprised Keen or other high-end/quality sandals don't have elastic on the back.
rschmidt  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 5:34:12 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 23 post(s)
While not a fan of wet wading even when warm due to wild parsnip, buck thorn, tics, and other biting animals, I do love the studs on my Reddington lightweight boots. I have a pair of heavy winter lug booted waders without studs and the lack of traction is painfully evident. Get the studs in your sandals and have at it, you'll be glad you did. R
Hoggies  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 2:29:49 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: madguy30 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mbchilton Go to Quoted Post

I found some closed-toed sandals at Kohl's of all places last summer that have an elastic back strap that was WAY more comfortable on my feet, problem being they're pretty cheap otherwise, especially the outsole.

I'm surprised Keen or other high-end/quality sandals don't have elastic on the back.

These ones have an "adaptive upper"

https://www.keenfootwear...&cgid=activity_water
draik11  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 4:21:00 PM(UTC)
draik11

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
madguy, slightly off topic here as it doesn't pertain to studs. But, do you wear neoprene socks while wet wading? If so, can you recommend a pair?
Gurth  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 4:53:36 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Thought the thread title was the theme for the 2018 DTA calendar.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
thanks 4 users thanked Gurth for this useful post.
Hoggies on 1/16/2018(UTC), NBrevitz on 1/16/2018(UTC), madguy30 on 1/17/2018(UTC), draik11 on 1/17/2018(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 5:49:08 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 65 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
Thought the thread title was the theme for the 2018 DTA calendar.

RollEyes

-Bill

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
madguy30  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 10:20:57 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Originally Posted by: draik11 Go to Quoted Post
madguy, slightly off topic here as it doesn't pertain to studs. But, do you wear neoprene socks while wet wading? If so, can you recommend a pair?

I do not. I wear typical wool/thick socks under any sandals though. Provides just a bit of extra protection.

Neoprene socks fill up and are really warm as well.
thanks 1 user thanked madguy30 for this useful post.
draik11 on 1/17/2018(UTC)