Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rschmidt  
#21 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2018 5:19:19 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 19 post(s)
To each their own, but I would not wear those beyond hiking, anything that can catch on anything is a hazard. If you use regular zip screws, get 3/8", grind the tip some and you'll be fine. Oh get steel, not aluminum or they be ground down in one walk. R
William Schlafer  
#22 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2018 3:28:07 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 56 post(s)
A bit off topic... but very time I think about wet wading, I remember when this happened:

UserPostedImage

And this was underneath a sock, tucked in pants, stocking foot waders and a high ankle wading boot! Something got in there and chewed me up pretty good. Never found out what it was: chigger, poison oak, who knows. Itched like a mother for 48 hours and finally healed up completely after a couple weeks. I always clean and thoroughly rinse out my waders and boots after every outing now.

Makes me itchy now just looking at that photo.

-Bill

Edited by user Friday, January 19, 2018 3:29:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added text

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 1 user thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
rschmidt on 1/20/2018(UTC)
AKinMN  
#23 Posted : Saturday, January 20, 2018 12:26:04 AM(UTC)
AKinMN

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I don't understand this at all. This is exactly why there are wading boots and what they are designed for. Why the aversion to them? Oversized hiking shoes would get completely water logged and be heavier than actual wading boots, and have horse bleep traction. That is not what they are designed for, they're designed for hiking.

Secondly, a guy quickly ends up spending more money on cheap gear that falls apart fast than buying one good pair. Think of the old board member who bought a new pair of Cabelas waders for $170 each season. Two and a half seasons in he could have had a pair of good waders that would last 5-7 seasons.

Edited by user Saturday, January 20, 2018 1:06:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked AKinMN for this useful post.
wibirdhunter on 1/20/2018(UTC)
NBrevitz  
#24 Posted : Saturday, January 20, 2018 1:08:19 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Sandals are sooooo nice for sand bottomed spring creeks though, and it’s less weight, which adds up over 4-5 miles.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
madguy30  
#25 Posted : Saturday, January 20, 2018 3:50:27 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AKinMN Go to Quoted Post
I don't understand this at all. This is exactly why there are wading boots and what they are designed for. Why the aversion to them? Oversized hiking shoes would get completely water logged and be heavier than actual wading boots, and have horse bleep traction. That is not what they are designed for, they're designed for hiking.

Secondly, a guy quickly ends up spending more money on cheap gear that falls apart fast than buying one good pair. Think of the old board member who bought a new pair of Cabelas waders for $170 each season. Two and a half seasons in he could have had a pair of good waders that would last 5-7 seasons.

My $80 waders (not from Cabela's) are going on season 4 right now. Any expensive pair of waders I've bought could easily die out within a season or two and did.

Same with wading boots. Any I've had were pricey and eventually gave in and were a pain in the ass to lug around in all day over probably 5 miles that I hike/wade/walk, especially the way typical driftless stream banks are. No thanks.

Also going on my 3rd season of Merrill hiking shoes. They work just fine and have been just like anything else that needs to air out for a bit.

Sandals I've bought were something like $20 at Kohls and were actually more comfortable than Keens. A bit of wear here and there but not too bad overall...just need to figure out how to improve the traction which is certainly possible.