Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
madguy30  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 10:22:06 PM(UTC)
madguy30
Rank: May Fly

Joined: 2/24/2013(UTC)
Posts: 266

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hoggies Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: madguy30 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mbchilton Go to Quoted Post
I have the closed side version of that Simms shoe and ran them hard last summer. I traveled quite a bit, and they allowed me to wade fish Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and Alberta without having to pack waders and boots on plane trips. I neglected my waders, even at home, once I picked up those shoes. I will tell you it takes a bit for your feet to get used to them. The back strap can rub. My first trip I hiked a bunch of the Yakima. Before my flight out of Seattle I was going to hit the Sound for sea run cutts. I started to wade out in the salt, and busted open a big blister on my foot that ended thoughts of fishing. It was a painful, shoeless walk on pavement back to the car. I didn’t put studs on them, but should have. I got super frustrated trying to stay upright on the Bow River.


I found some closed-toed sandals at Kohl's of all places last summer that have an elastic back strap that was WAY more comfortable on my feet, problem being they're pretty cheap otherwise, especially the outsole.

I'm surprised Keen or other high-end/quality sandals don't have elastic on the back.


These ones have an "adaptive upper"

https://www.keenfootwear...&cgid=activity_water


Nice, thanks. That's quite a price tag though.
big_river_bum  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 5:52:06 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum
Rank: Dragon Fly

Joined: 6/18/2012(UTC)
Posts: 530
Location: Genoa

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I'm a stud no matter my footwear
pgdean  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 11:45:54 AM(UTC)
pgdean
Rank: Midge

Joined: 1/6/2018(UTC)
Posts: 1
United States
Location: MN

These work well as studs in boots and are priced much nicer than Simms, etc.: https://www.ebay.com/i/222643997426?chn=ps

(not my auction BTW)
Hoggies  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 3:30:37 PM(UTC)
Hoggies
Rank: Midge

Joined: 3/7/2017(UTC)
Posts: 123
Man
United States
Location: SE MN

Thanks: 5 times
Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: madguy30 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Hoggies Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: madguy30 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mbchilton Go to Quoted Post
I have the closed side version of that Simms shoe and ran them hard last summer. I traveled quite a bit, and they allowed me to wade fish Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and Alberta without having to pack waders and boots on plane trips. I neglected my waders, even at home, once I picked up those shoes. I will tell you it takes a bit for your feet to get used to them. The back strap can rub. My first trip I hiked a bunch of the Yakima. Before my flight out of Seattle I was going to hit the Sound for sea run cutts. I started to wade out in the salt, and busted open a big blister on my foot that ended thoughts of fishing. It was a painful, shoeless walk on pavement back to the car. I didn’t put studs on them, but should have. I got super frustrated trying to stay upright on the Bow River.


I found some closed-toed sandals at Kohl's of all places last summer that have an elastic back strap that was WAY more comfortable on my feet, problem being they're pretty cheap otherwise, especially the outsole.

I'm surprised Keen or other high-end/quality sandals don't have elastic on the back.


These ones have an "adaptive upper"

https://www.keenfootwear...&cgid=activity_water


Nice, thanks. That's quite a price tag though.


Eh they're new. Give it some time and the 2/3 that are ninja turtle colors will probably go on sale for like $65.
madguy30  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 4:02:02 PM(UTC)
madguy30
Rank: May Fly

Joined: 2/24/2013(UTC)
Posts: 266

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: pgdean Go to Quoted Post
These work well as studs in boots and are priced much nicer than Simms, etc.: https://www.ebay.com/i/222643997426?chn=ps

(not my auction BTW)



Thanks, that's actually what I've used before! The traction is generally good but I think they stick out a little long and come out much easier. I've considered trying to really drill them in really deep but then the pointed end may stick out to my feet.

I have Korkers that are basically shoes, but they've fallen apart pretty easily. Great idea, not great product.

The studs in them don't have as much length out of the bottom, so need to find some more like that.

madguy30  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 4:11:09 PM(UTC)
madguy30
Rank: May Fly

Joined: 2/24/2013(UTC)
Posts: 266

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hoggies Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: madguy30 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Hoggies Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: madguy30 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mbchilton Go to Quoted Post
I have the closed side version of that Simms shoe and ran them hard last summer. I traveled quite a bit, and they allowed me to wade fish Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and Alberta without having to pack waders and boots on plane trips. I neglected my waders, even at home, once I picked up those shoes. I will tell you it takes a bit for your feet to get used to them. The back strap can rub. My first trip I hiked a bunch of the Yakima. Before my flight out of Seattle I was going to hit the Sound for sea run cutts. I started to wade out in the salt, and busted open a big blister on my foot that ended thoughts of fishing. It was a painful, shoeless walk on pavement back to the car. I didn’t put studs on them, but should have. I got super frustrated trying to stay upright on the Bow River.


I found some closed-toed sandals at Kohl's of all places last summer that have an elastic back strap that was WAY more comfortable on my feet, problem being they're pretty cheap otherwise, especially the outsole.

I'm surprised Keen or other high-end/quality sandals don't have elastic on the back.


These ones have an "adaptive upper"

https://www.keenfootwear...&cgid=activity_water


Nice, thanks. That's quite a price tag though.


Eh they're new. Give it some time and the 2/3 that are ninja turtle colors will probably go on sale for like $65.


Thought about that...may wait to see if they sprout up on backcountry.com or something.

I took a look at some older Keens and my Kohl's sandals last night and the bottoms/outsoles weren't all that different. I think it's more about the depth of the stud that makes the difference.

Luckily most streams in the D.A. aren't all that slick but if I want to fish the Flambeau area or similar, grip is really important.
EddieRivard  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 6:58:21 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard
Rank: Dragon Fly

Joined: 7/26/2012(UTC)
Posts: 1,173
Location: New Brighton MN

Thanks: 59 times
Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Did someone say something about a stud in sandals? I thought this was a trout fishing forum.

UserPostedImage

LOL
big_river_bum  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 7:44:40 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum
Rank: Dragon Fly

Joined: 6/18/2012(UTC)
Posts: 530
Location: Genoa

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: EddieRivard Go to Quoted Post
Did someone say something about a stud in sandals? I thought this was a trout fishing forum.

UserPostedImage

LOL


lol! I've worn less on a stream Razz
NDFlatlander  
#19 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 3:01:23 AM(UTC)
NDFlatlander
Rank: Midge

Joined: 11/28/2016(UTC)
Posts: 19
Man
Location: Dodgeville, WI

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Maybe these over some water shoes/boat shoes with drainage ports.

https://www.hillsound.co...eesteps6-traction-device
madguy30  
#20 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 1:49:48 PM(UTC)
madguy30
Rank: May Fly

Joined: 2/24/2013(UTC)
Posts: 266

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NDFlatlander Go to Quoted Post
Maybe these over some water shoes/boat shoes with drainage ports.

https://www.hillsound.co...eesteps6-traction-device


I've looked at something similar....enticing.

Might just get some regular steel screws and see if that makes a difference.

This can be a fun topic but it's similar to finding the best pair of waders--it's really hard to beat physics.

Users browsing this topic
3 Pages<123>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2018, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 1.337 seconds.