Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GreatPyrs  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 3:13:48 PM(UTC)
GreatPyrs

Hi Folks,

Heading out this Friday , after the deep freeze, and hoping to at least enjoy a day streamside, with perhaps a trout or two. I have a buddy who fishes the lakes around Boulder Juction up in Wisconsin quite often, but he is going to purchase something a bit lighter for Trout Bumming around the smaller spring creeks.Wanted to hear any recommendations, as I plan to carry some type of ultralight spinning gear beginning this year. Thanx, and heres to the weather warming up a bit, and 25 degrees being balmySmile

Philip
I enjoy trout.They are never disappointing company. They like the things I like - clean mountain streams , swift moving water, wildness. - Henry Middleton
Sponsor
shebs  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 3:36:10 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Nothing beats an ugly stik in my book. I use a 6' light action, and it works for everything I fish. Ron swears by his 5' UL, and there doesn't seem to be an appreciable difference in our catch rates.
Pair with a decent reel (I use a mid range 50 dollar Daiwa Legalis). I recommend a size or two larger than what you'd normally use on a small rod, it helps keep the line from looping....and I can't say enough good things about 10lb power pro line. Doesn't spook the fish, and allows you to save your expensive hardware from the inevitable snags.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Hoggies  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 3:47:13 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Cabela's Fish Eagle line are pretty nice for the money (~$50 on sale). I have the 6'6" MLF 2 piece that I run with a size 2000 Daiwa Freams with 6lb spiderwire and I really like it (I have a serious thing for heavy spoons / spinners, so I like being able to go up to 5/8 and still cast long distances). They have a 5'6" and a 6' in UL.

Edited by user Tuesday, January 16, 2018 3:53:13 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Specs!

Gurth  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 3:49:00 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 35 post(s)
I have several Ugly Stiks including two 5' UL GX2s and a 5'6" L GX2. Love em and for the price, can't be beat imo.

I also have an older Ugly 4'8" UL and an older Ugly 5'9" ML – neither are GX2s, but the 4'8" may be my favorite rod.

The 5'6" and 9" rods would be more versatile and I use those for bass fishing and kayak fishing and in the boat, but the 5' may be better for your buddy if he's gonna do streams in the Great North Woods which are often alder infested and have tight casing windows.

I much prefer the feel of my shorter rods and only use my bigger (light) tackle when I'm on big water AND there is a decent chance of getting into a big fish.

That said, have landed up to 19+ inch browns with the 5 footer with no problems.

Edited by user Friday, January 26, 2018 4:23:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
WI-fly  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 3:57:12 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 14 post(s)
My son loves his 4'8" UL Ugly Stik. The short rod is good for casting in tight areas, but it does impede his flipping abilities a little bit. I just bought a 5'6" GX2 youth combo for my 12 year old daughter. Haven't put it to use yet, but looks like it will be a good rig for her. We are running PowerPro on both rods. Has good wear and tear in terms of abrasion, and also makes it easier to yank spinners out of tree and weeds.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
Gurth  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 4:02:53 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 35 post(s)
A quick word of caution on the Power Pro.

This time of year it will freeze and gum up your reel as it absorbs water.

I use 6' mono on my shorter rods and 8' on the two longer ones right now.

I use the 10' Power Pro on the longer rods when it warms up, but stick with the 6' mono on the shorter rods in general. Sometimes I'll set up one with PP if I'm going to a snag infested, deeper or mud bottomed stream where I can't go get my lure.

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
stan b on 2/4/2018(UTC)
s.t.fanatic  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 5:13:12 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
IMO For the money you cant beet the Fenwick HMG line. I would never fish anything shorter than 6' or lighter than a medium light but thats just me.
NBrevitz  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 5:19:16 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Ugly Sticks can absolutely work as pointed out above, but I like a little stiffer tip (insert sex joke here). I love my St. Croix Avid setups, they’re fantastic, and with a great warranty as well. St Croix’s Triumph Line are nice as well. Fenwick also makes great rods. If you really want to class it up, G Loomis has a Trout Series that have gotten awesome reviews, I just haven’t gotten approved on my loan yet to buy one!
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
WI-fly  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 5:56:11 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
A quick word of caution on the Power Pro.

This time of year it will freeze and gum up your reel as it absorbs water.

I use 6' mono on my shorter rods and 8' on the two longer ones right now.

I use the 10' Power Pro on the longer rods when it warms up, but stick with the 6' mono on the shorter rods in general. Sometimes I'll set up one with PP if I'm going to a snag infested, deeper or mud bottomed stream where I can't go get my lure.

Thanks Gurth. Have never even tried the PP in cold weather. Typically we don't get serious until it has warmed up toward the end of Feb.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
HookJaw  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 12:22:55 AM(UTC)
HookJaw

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: shebs Go to Quoted Post
Nothing beats an ugly stik in my book. I use a 6' light action, and it works for everything I fish. Ron swears by his 5' UL, and there doesn't seem to be an appreciable difference in our catch rates.
Pair with a decent reel (I use a mid range 50 dollar Daiwa Legalis). I recommend a size or two larger than what you'd normally use on a small rod, it helps keep the line from looping....and I can't say enough good things about 10lb power pro line. Doesn't spook the fish, and allows you to save your expensive hardware from the inevitable snags.

I endorse that. Love my Ugly Stik 6-footer. Oldest pole I own, but my 1st choice. Used to be 6' but tip replacements have knocked it down to 5'10" and it is perfect.
Usually, I buy cheap spinning set-ups, cuz I break shit left and right. My Shimano reels have held up well over the years, though.
Also, I hated braided line until I used Power Pro Line, also use the 10lb., now prefer it over mono

...cruisin the 'Poo in my Gum Tree Canoe