Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<345
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rschmidt  
#41 Posted : Thursday, May 3, 2018 7:25:36 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 19 post(s)
This season I switched from 5ft UL Ugly Sticks to 5ft 6in light GX2 Ugly Sticks. I was no slouch with casting the UL and caught many large inland trout on the setup. I prefer the new longer, heavier setup, but casting accuracy was better with the UL even when overloaded with a 1/2 oz. Spinner. The light set up gives a nice long cast and handles any size inland trout I could encounter. For early season when using very light tackle the UL was better for me.
Buckman  
#42 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2018 12:20:09 PM(UTC)
Buckman

United States

I tend to like to do the "jungle crawl" type trout fishing and hike in to the lesser traveled places, so over the years I have tried several combos out. For small water and tough environment I really like the 5'0" ugly stick ultralight that I have paired up with a Pflueger president reel. It's simple, small, and tough and has been beat a good bit but keeps ticking. My son bought me a 4'6 Ugly Stick elite ultralight this past Christmas, but I have yet to try that one out. My favorite combo is a compromise between my tendency to jungle crawl vs slightly bigger water for bigger trout and that is a G Loomis trout series spin rod. I have the 5'8" 2 piece light action that I paired with a Shimano stradic. Smooth action and casts very effortlessly. The rod is small enough to navigate the undergrowth and when necessary can be broken down into 2 pieces. It is also tough enough to bring in some bigger trout as I just recently put it to the test in the hills of central PA. My bang for the buck pick would be for an Ugly Stick, you really can't go wrong, but if budget is not a concern, I'd give the G Loomis a look.