Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GreatPyrs  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 12:26:35 AM(UTC)
GreatPyrs

Copy gentleman, appreciate the reply's - enjoy the weekendThumpUp
I enjoy trout.They are never disappointing company. They like the things I like - clean mountain streams , swift moving water, wildness. - Henry Middleton
rschmidt  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, January 23, 2018 10:33:12 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 30 post(s)
I agree with most opinions here. Ugly Stick 5'6" UL is a great action rod and still has backbone for 20+" fish. You will lose trout more often with a med or stiffer rod. The length comes down to what I can tolerate bushwacking with. If I wanted a 20ft cane pole or a 11 foot flyrod, it would work. On a reel, I really like the Pflueger president at 49 bucks on sale. Smooth and durable. And double down on 10lb power pro for stream trout. I buy the 1500 yard spool. The stuff is magic compared to any other line I have used - mono flouro polymer embroidery thread.
s.t.fanatic  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, January 24, 2018 5:24:56 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rschmidt Go to Quoted Post
I agree with most opinions here. Ugly Stick 5'6" UL is a great action rod and still has backbone for 20+" fish. You will lose trout more often with a med or stiffer rod. The length comes down to what I can tolerate bushwacking with. If I wanted a 20ft cane pole or a 11 foot flyrod, it would work. On a reel, I really like the Pflueger president at 49 bucks on sale. Smooth and durable. And double down on 10lb power pro for stream trout. I buy the 1500 yard spool. The stuff is magic compared to any other line I have used - mono flouro polymer embroidery thread.

I know everyone plays fish differently and that is exactly what it comes down to with rod selection.

I almost never lose fish with my medium action rod. I use 4-8# mono which has a good amount of stretch to it and I actually use the drag on my reels. Also a longer rod will give you a better hook set. I have no problem fishing a 6'6" rod in tight quarters because I often "slingshot" or underhand toss my lures into tight holding places. I am much more accurate using these techniques than sidearm or overhand casting.

Lure weight is another consideration. Can you fish lighter or heavier lures than what the rod says? Absolutely, but it will cast the best with a lure weight somewhere in the middle to a little over halfway up the "scale".

I fish the lightest line I can get away with and use the rod, line, and drag all to absorb the shock of a fighting fish. I use cheep line, check for nicks and abrasions often and re-spool several times a year.
After all, the former world record brown was landed on 4# test.

Another consideration is ethically playing the fish. A large trout will revive and swim away in much better shape if landed quickly. I can only think of one trout that I caught that took me over 30 seconds to land and I've caught my fair share of large trout.

I hate UL rods but am not suggesting they cant be effectively used to catch trout and even large trout they are just not for me.
thanks 1 user thanked s.t.fanatic for this useful post.
NBrevitz on 1/29/2018(UTC)
Greylin  
#14 Posted : Monday, January 29, 2018 3:24:21 AM(UTC)
Greylin

I typically use a 4'6" Ugly stick paired with a Pflueger President reel spooled with 10# Power Pro. I've hauled in large trout with it and never had any problems. My backup up rod is a 6' Pflueger combo that my wife and kids bought me a few years back.

My dad is notorious for breaking the tips off of his rods. This Christmas I picked him up a 4' 6" Cabela's Fish Eagle Ultralight Spinning Rod
I'm hoping they stand behind their "Lifetime Guarantee"
I live in a van down by the river.
s.t.fanatic  
#15 Posted : Monday, January 29, 2018 5:53:44 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Im hard on my equipment and refuse to fish with any rod that doesnt have a lifetime guarantee.
Skimmer  
#16 Posted : Thursday, February 1, 2018 4:23:16 AM(UTC)
Skimmer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Field and Stream Tec-Light in 5'6" or 6' Much more sensitive then an ugly stick, but have enough backbone to haul in a bigger fish thanks to the micro guides. Check one out, I have a few and love them. Brought in a 36" musky a few years ago on one, couldn't believe it.

Edited by user Thursday, February 1, 2018 4:24:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

vmthtr in Green Bay  
#17 Posted : Friday, February 2, 2018 11:46:01 AM(UTC)
vmthtr in Green Bay

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Never really spin fished before and after fishing with Ron, bought a copy of his. Ugly UL 5 foot with a Pfluger and PP10# kine. Couldn't be happier
thanks 1 user thanked vmthtr in Green Bay for this useful post.
rschmidt on 2/2/2018(UTC)
Hoggies  
#18 Posted : Friday, February 2, 2018 2:49:05 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
13 Fishing makes a 4'6" medium action model called the Ambition (tbh I think it's a youth model). My wife has one that she uses to bobber fish, but I've been highly tempted to take it out when I know I'm going to sidewalk water.
shebs  
#19 Posted : Friday, February 2, 2018 3:30:52 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hoggies Go to Quoted Post
13 Fishing makes a 4'6" medium action model called the Ambition (tbh I think it's a youth model). My wife has one that she uses to bobber fish, but I've been highly tempted to take it out when I know I'm going to sidewalk water.

I own that very rod. Used to use it exclusively...works just fine, and held up to two seasons of brutal bushwacking. Even landed my first 3 20+ers with it. Eventually swapped it for a light action ugly, the softer tip really works better for trout in all but the most insane tight quarters fishing. It still comes out occasionally in those tiny over grown brookie creeks in the north woods.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
NBrevitz  
#20 Posted : Friday, February 2, 2018 5:00:39 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Originally Posted by: vmthtr in Green Bay Go to Quoted Post
Never really spin fished before and after fishing with Ron, bought a copy of his. Ugly UL 5 foot with a Pfluger and PP10# kine. Couldn't be happier

You got to learn from the best
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
thanks 2 users thanked NBrevitz for this useful post.
rschmidt on 2/3/2018(UTC), vmthtr in Green Bay on 2/5/2018(UTC)