Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<2345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stan b  
#31 Posted : Monday, February 5, 2018 4:57:58 PM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I bought a 2pce 5' GX2 UL.
The eyelets appear to be a polished 1 pce stainless steel material.
It's sole purpose is to be in the bag for those days when the #5 fly rod isn't suitable.
It will host a Pfluegger President with #6 line.
At the working end of that line will be a #6 Gold PM.

Now, if it will get above 0!

Edited by user Tuesday, February 6, 2018 1:05:09 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
rschmidt  
#32 Posted : Tuesday, February 6, 2018 12:44:12 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
U R ready now Stan. HaHaHa R
thanks 1 user thanked rschmidt for this useful post.
stan b on 2/6/2018(UTC)
stan b  
#33 Posted : Tuesday, February 6, 2018 11:14:33 AM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Originally Posted by: rschmidt Go to Quoted Post
U R ready now Stan. HaHaHa R

Yep!
Probably still won't catch any fish, but at least I'll have the correct gear and look good doing it!😉

Edited by user Tuesday, February 6, 2018 11:35:10 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
shebs  
#34 Posted : Friday, February 9, 2018 1:57:02 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
I'd recommend adding some size 2s and 4s to your box if you're spin fishing in the winter. I'm normally a go big or go home kind of guy, but winter and cold water sometimes demands smaller offerings.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
thanks 1 user thanked shebs for this useful post.
NBrevitz on 2/15/2018(UTC)
stan b  
#35 Posted : Thursday, February 15, 2018 12:24:48 AM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Geez,
So I used the Ugly Stik today.
Took a bit to get the feel.
Cause that bad motor scooter can get some length in a "6 PM.

Thanks for the advice.

Stan b
BlueGrassHammer  
#36 Posted : Tuesday, February 20, 2018 8:26:12 PM(UTC)
BlueGrassHammer

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Haven't read all responses but I'll put another vote in for the Ugly Stick GX2. I go with the Light version at 5'6". I've seen my 12 year old son do things to that rod when walking through the bush that are cringe and butt chewing worthy but it keeps on ticking! I have 4 rods outfitted with it and can't see needing others for quite some time.
Spins with dog  
#37 Posted : Thursday, May 3, 2018 4:53:11 AM(UTC)
Spins with dog

United States

Here's a rod to consider- Oddly enough it's part of the St. Croix Legend Tournament walleye spinning series. It's a light action (the only one in the walleye series), X-fast, 1 piece rod rated for 4-8 lb test and 1/16 to 1/4 oz lures. St Croix set out to make a finesse rig for walleye fishing and stumble upon an amazing trout rod. It weighs in at only 3.3 oz. Its about 6" longer than I traditionally use (6'6" vs 7') but I've found the improved casting accuracy, distance and ability to manipulate my rod tip (useful when on banks) outweighs any minor annoyances of a 7' rod. If you're serious about spinning for trout get to a store that has one in stock and check it out for yourself. I work at Dorn Bait and Tackle in Madison and we have one on the shelf. I've spent the last month or so looking at all the St Croix, Loomis, Shimano, Fenwick rods and was a little frustrated I couldn't find exactly what I wanted and then my boss ordered me one of these on a whim and it was like the light shone down from the heavens lol

Here's a link https://stcroixrods.com/...rnament-walleye-spinning

s.t.fanatic  
#38 Posted : Thursday, May 3, 2018 12:31:41 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I'm trying my hardest to try and like the medium light I bought last fall. I should just take the reel off of it and put it back on my medium and be done with it. It is a sweet rod but I prefer more backbone. I cant for the life of me figure out why anyone would ever want to fish for trout with something lighter than a medium light but maybe it's just me.
thanks 1 user thanked s.t.fanatic for this useful post.
mmalyuk on 5/3/2018(UTC)
Gurth  
#39 Posted : Thursday, May 3, 2018 12:43:09 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 58 post(s)
As you might imagine, it depends upon the water fished and the quarry.

In March, when I was going after big fish on big water, I exclusively used my Light and Medium Light rods.

Tuesday night when I went to a little brookie stream on the Boo Ridge where a 10 incher would be a giant, I took a couple ULs.

On mixed water like where I went over last weekend, I might bring one of each.

I have yet to lose a fish on a UL due to being overmatched in the rod department. Always been my own user error(s).
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
NBrevitz  
#40 Posted : Thursday, May 3, 2018 6:12:26 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: s.t.fanatic Go to Quoted Post
I'm trying my hardest to try and like the medium light I bought last fall. I should just take the reel off of it and put it back on my medium and be done with it. It is a sweet rod but I prefer more backbone. I cant for the life of me figure out why anyone would ever want to fish for trout with something lighter than a medium light but maybe it's just me.

I landed a bunch of Brookies between 14-18 inches last summer on a light action rod from St Croix. A few Rainbows in the upper teens and a fat 20 inch Brown too. Never had any issues. I like my medium light setup, but nothing under 24”, besides a Steelhead at least, has a remote chance of getting away. I like it as a fun size Salmon rod.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."