Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
billybigbilly  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 9:51:42 PM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Good Afternoon Everyone.
I was hoping some of you would have some advice on how to approach a landowner to see if I could fish on his land. The stream will remain unnamed because, well you know. BigGrin

So since it is off season I have been researching streams around my stomping grounds. During my search I discovered a small stream and upon looking at the GIS data for the county I found that around 80% of the stream is owned by 1 person. Looking at the tax info I found the owner name and a quick Facebook search and I found him. I know asking in person is usually the best way to get permission, but most streams around me are an hour away and I do not want to waste 2 hours of driving just to get turned down. So then my options would be to message him on Facebook or drive to him when i have time one of these weekends and ask him for it, and then when the season opens up ill know i have an option to go fishing there.

So does anyone have any advice on how to approach this? If any of you are landowners how would you liked to be approached?
so any advice would be great! Thank you!

Edited by user Wednesday, January 17, 2018 9:52:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
weiliwen  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 12:05:27 AM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I asked permission to fish a farmer's land for the first time this fall. I saw a great stretch of river with a farm nearby, and girded my loins and knocked on the door. The farmer's wife answered and when I asked, immediately gave permission. It was easy - the tough part was knocking on the door.

I know that you have a distance to go to the river, but I really feel that you need to do this eyeball to eyeball; I don't think doing it by Facebook or in some other way remotely will do the trick.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
thanks 2 users thanked weiliwen for this useful post.
EddieRivard on 1/18/2018(UTC), NBrevitz on 1/19/2018(UTC)
shebs  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 12:10:40 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Honestly I don't think you can beat the face-to-face approach...a facebook message would probably be my last resort, unless the landowner is one of us 'millennial' types LOL - if they are, that might be your BEST chance!

If you really don't want to make the drive, I might try to look up a phone number, and then call at not pain-in-the-ass time - i.e. not dinner time, not during the vikings game, etc. daytime during the week, maybe you can get the wife and butter her up...I've found a brief chat with a sweet old lady is your best chance. or a saturday afternoon when you are less likely to annoy them.

But let's be honest, nothing works better than a face to face meeting - have a six pack in the trunk, just to sweeten the deal! or maybe offer to give them a trout or two if you have any success. I now have "don't need to ask except during deer season" level access on one of my favorite stream reaches in Wisconsin after providing a nice brook trout to a landowner the first time I got permission.

Worst case, they say no - have a backup plan in mind just so you don't waste a whole day.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
mbchilton  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 12:15:34 AM(UTC)
mbchilton

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Yeah, I wouldn’t do it via Facebook. I’ve had decent luck getting permission on the phone. I did that when I lived in Des Moines and wanted access to streams that were out of the way, or when I was unable to catch the property owner at home. If I were you though, I’d try to visit in person.
billybigbilly  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 12:19:44 AM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Thanks for the advice guys! i guess i will just bite the bullet and drive over there!
stan b  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 12:44:16 PM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Back in the old days we went up and knocked on the door, introduced ourselves, engaged in conversation and asked permission.

Times have changed............

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
rschmidt  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 12:59:04 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Agree with Shebs' advice here, in-person is best. I have even watched his charm work with psycho MN land owners. Hahaha! R
EddieRivard  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 2:20:32 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I have used the phone method with success myself. The other thing to remember when asking in person is to look presentable but not overly done. I keep a Green Bay Packers hat on my car all summer long too. It really helps negate the MInnesota license plates. I just tell them that I grew up in Wisconsin but had to move to Minnesota to escape the Walker Regime
Gurth  
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 2:22:06 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 58 post(s)
I've only ever asked twice that I can remember although a third time a guy that was out in his field told me to go ahead that it was fine even though my boots had never left the water in the little stream that I was fishing.

Did engage him and he was a nice guy and then asked if I could traverse his land to go back to my van instead of walking back down the stream and he said of course I could.

The two times I asked, one nice lady thanked me for asking and told me I could park right over there by the barn whenever I fished there and the other gentleman told me fish stories and offered to mow a path to the stream for me. Laugh
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
draik11  
#10 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 2:48:59 PM(UTC)
draik11

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
If you do get access, I'd recommend having a thank you note with a $20 gas card or something like that to give them after you fish. I've heard from multiple people that little things like that go a long way. Leave them your phone number on the note and they may give you a call and tell you to come back and fish anytime.