Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mbchilton  
#11 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2018 1:51:57 AM(UTC)
mbchilton

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I think anyone who wants to get serious about birds should think seriously about dogs, but I don’t think it should scare the guy wanting to get started.

I don’t have a dog, but I’ve got access to 3 dogs between 2 brothers. It’s a pretty good setup.
big_river_bum  
#12 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2018 1:56:19 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I harvested 85 ducks this year without a dog. lost one bufflehead that got into open water and disappeared underwater after a 5 minute boat chase

that said, I've got a pup in training and can't wait to sit my ass in the boat while someone else sinks into the mud

stan b  
#13 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2018 2:10:03 AM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 12 post(s)
To me, I'd rather watch the dog work a pheasant or dig a duck out of the bullrushes than shoot a bird.

Good dog work is a thing of beauty, like a well presented olive bugger taken by a 24" rainbow.
"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
thanks 2 users thanked stan b for this useful post.
tenkara_guy on 1/19/2018(UTC), MNTrout68 on 3/20/2018(UTC)
wibirdhunter  
#14 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2018 2:52:17 AM(UTC)
wibirdhunter

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: big_river_bum Go to Quoted Post
I harvested 85 ducks this year without a dog. lost one bufflehead that got into open water and disappeared underwater after a 5 minute boat chase

that said, I've got a pup in training and can't wait to sit my ass in the boat while someone else sinks into the mud

In my head bird hunting and duck hunting are 2 different things so I was referring to upland bird hunting.

I agree for a lot of waterfowl hunting in open water or picked fields dogs aren't going to make a lot of difference.

I can't imagine jump shooting wood ducks in some of the places I do without my drahthaar or a good lab. I doubt you'd find half the duck you drop.

To the OP what part of Wisconsin do live in?
mbchilton  
#15 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2018 3:32:10 AM(UTC)
mbchilton

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: stan b Go to Quoted Post
To me, I'd rather watch the dog work a pheasant or dig a duck out of the bullrushes than shoot a bird.

Good dog work is a thing of beauty, like a well presented olive bugger taken by a 24" rainbow.

I don’t think anyone is disagreeing. You said a dog was NEEDED to bird hunt, and that’s just not true otherwise people wouldn’t hunt, kill, and recover birds without one.
wibirdhunter  
#16 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2018 3:38:43 AM(UTC)
wibirdhunter

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mbchilton Go to Quoted Post

I don’t think anyone is disagreeing. You said a dog was NEEDED to bird hunt, and that’s just not true otherwise people wouldn’t hunt, kill, and recover birds without one.

Is it responsible sportsmanship to hunt wild birds knowing you're going to lose more?
stan b  
#17 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2018 6:27:52 AM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Originally Posted by: mbchilton Go to Quoted Post

I meant it figuratively not literally.
Due to my love for dogs.

There must be something to it, since so many hunt with a dog.
"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
jfinn  
#18 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2018 11:14:09 AM(UTC)
jfinn

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: wibirdhunter Go to Quoted Post

In my head bird hunting and duck hunting are 2 different things so I was referring to upland bird hunting.

I agree for a lot of waterfowl hunting in open water or picked fields dogs aren't going to make a lot of difference.

I can't imagine jump shooting wood ducks in some of the places I do without my drahthaar or a good lab. I doubt you'd find half the duck you drop.

Southeastern Wisconsin
stan b  
#19 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2018 11:25:32 AM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Originally Posted by: jfinn Go to Quoted Post

Southeastern Wisconsin

Next fall me and Elvis would be proud to take you pheasant hunting at Bong.
It's a pretty neat place.
We are both pretty old, but can still find a bird or 2.

It's operated by the WIDNR and is put and take, but it is a good time.

As far as the dog portion, in the summer we train at Bong usually once a week.
You would be welcome to join in and see if that bug bites.
Dogs and training them is a pretty big hobby/sport/game today.

Stan b

Edited by user Friday, January 19, 2018 11:27:52 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

jfinn  
#20 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2018 2:24:53 PM(UTC)
jfinn

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jfinn Go to Quoted Post

Southeastern Wisconsin

Next fall me and Elvis would be proud to take you pheasant hunting at Bong.
It's a pretty neat place.
We are both pretty old, but can still find a bird or 2.

It's operated by the WIDNR and is put and take, but it is a good time.

As far as the dog portion, in the summer we train at Bong usually once a week.
You would be welcome to join in and see if that bug bites.
Dogs and training them is a pretty big hobby/sport/game today.

Stan b

That would be awesome if you were willing to teach a newbie. I'm not that far away from Bong.