Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mbchilton  
#21 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2018 2:47:49 PM(UTC)
mbchilton

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: wibirdhunter Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mbchilton Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: stan b Go to Quoted Post
To me, I'd rather watch the dog work a pheasant or dig a duck out of the bullrushes than shoot a bird.

Good dog work is a thing of beauty, like a well presented olive bugger taken by a 24" rainbow.

I don’t think anyone is disagreeing. You said a dog was NEEDED to bird hunt, and that’s just not true otherwise people wouldn’t hunt, kill, and recover birds without one.

Is it responsible sportsmanship to hunt wild birds knowing you're going to lose more?

You’re going down a real slippery slope.
mbchilton  
#22 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2018 2:51:41 PM(UTC)
mbchilton

Man

I meant it figuratively not literally.
Due to my love for dogs.

There must be something to it, since so many hunt with a dog.

Thanks for clarifying because I didn’t read it that way.

There’s absolutely something to it. It’s the best way to hunt, but not everyone has the resources or desire to own a dog. That shouldn’t keep them from bird hunting.
stan b  
#23 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2018 7:34:56 PM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: big_river_bum Go to Quoted Post
I harvested 85 ducks this year without a dog. lost one bufflehead that got into open water and disappeared underwater after a 5 minute boat chase

that said, I've got a pup in training and can't wait to sit my ass in the boat while someone else sinks into the mud

That is sweet, congrats!

What kind of pup are you getting?
Who is training him/her?

Edited by user Friday, January 19, 2018 7:37:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
big_river_bum  
#24 Posted : Sunday, January 21, 2018 11:33:34 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I harvested 85 ducks this year without a dog. lost one bufflehead that got into open water and disappeared underwater after a 5 minute boat chase

that said, I've got a pup in training and can't wait to sit my ass in the boat while someone else sinks into the mud

That is sweet, congrats!

Who is training him/her?

7 month old black lab male. I'm "training" him. most of which consists of him snuggling me on the couch

he was at trapfest and hopefully wasn't too big of a nuisance to everyone. he went fishing with hookjaw and I on that sunday
thanks 1 user thanked big_river_bum for this useful post.
stan b on 1/21/2018(UTC)
stan b  
#25 Posted : Sunday, January 21, 2018 11:50:49 PM(UTC)
stan b

Man

That is sweet, congrats!

Who is training him/her?

7 month old black lab male. I'm "training" him. most of which consists of him snuggling me on the couch

he was at trapfest and hopefully wasn't too big of a nuisance to everyone. he went fishing with hookjaw and I on that sunday

Very cool, enjoy every moment with him.

My dog fishes with me.
If I'm wading he sits on the bank, learned that from waiting when I put out duck decoys.
If I fish from the bank he sits at heel and watches intently.

What did you name him?

Edited by user Sunday, January 21, 2018 11:51:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
big_river_bum  
#26 Posted : Monday, January 22, 2018 6:09:34 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 12 post(s)

That is sweet, congrats!

Who is training him/her?

Very cool, enjoy every moment with him.

My dog fishes with me.
If I'm wading he sits on the bank, learned that from waiting when I put out duck decoys.
If I fish from the bank he sits at heel and watches intently.

What did you name him?

LOUIE

20180107_132806.jpg (1,475kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

thanks 1 user thanked big_river_bum for this useful post.
stan b on 1/22/2018(UTC)
weiliwen  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, January 23, 2018 3:17:26 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 19 post(s)
This is turning from a hunting thread to a hunting dog thread! Seriously, I love either one, so no criticism intended. I want a dog but am still working on getting permission from my wife, who doesn't like any pets.

On a slightly different subject, does anybody on this forum hunt upland game locally to the Driftless? This weekend, as I was driving southwest from I-90 toward Avalanche, I had to stop my car because a pheasant rooster was in the middle of the road, I guess picking up grit. He paid me absolutely no attention, and I only continued on my way after he wandered to the edge the road. I know they plant pheasants around the area, but don't know if anybody hunts them. Also, any other non-waterfowl birds hunted in the area, such as grouse, dove, woodcock?
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Hoggies  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, January 23, 2018 3:24:58 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
In SE Minnesota there are some pheasants and I've run across woodcock twice while pheasant hunting (once 2 days before the end of the season, and once ~6 days after the end of the season), and I don't get out a lot. I've also heard them calling in the summer and flushed a few while I was hiking to a stream in the spring. My in-laws hunt doves, but I've never gone.
mbchilton  
#29 Posted : Tuesday, January 23, 2018 4:11:38 PM(UTC)
mbchilton

Man

I don’t hunt them in the Driftless, but plenty of pheasants on the Iowa side. All wild birds. We don’t stock.
stan b  
#30 Posted : Tuesday, January 23, 2018 4:17:28 PM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Originally Posted by: weiliwen Go to Quoted Post
This is turning from a hunting thread to a hunting dog thread! Seriously, I love either one, so no criticism intended. I want a dog but am still working on getting permission from my wife, who doesn't like any pets.

On a slightly different subject, does anybody on this forum hunt upland game locally to the Driftless? This weekend, as I was driving southwest from I-90 toward Avalanche, I had to stop my car because a pheasant rooster was in the middle of the road, I guess picking up grit. He paid me absolutely no attention, and I only continued on my way after he wandered to the edge the road. I know they plant pheasants around the area, but don't know if anybody hunts them. Also, any other non-waterfowl birds hunted in the area, such as grouse, dove, woodcock?

My apologies on adding hunting dogs to the hunting thread, just something I'm passionate about.

There are some wild birds in sw wi.
Iowa county worked hard for several years.
For reasons I don't know, they just didn't sustain like they did in the 80s and 90s.

Same in Iowa, they still have wild birds, far more than WI, but not at the levels of the 80s and 90s.

Those were the days.

I'm sure it's multiple factors.

Edited by user Wednesday, January 24, 2018 1:42:08 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified