Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 25, 2018 7:21:09 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Guillermo Go to Quoted Post
So sick of this horseshit. Time for an overhaul.

Indeed.

This map illustrates the depth of the problem in Wisconsin:

UserPostedImage

In Kewaunee County alone, 2/3 of all private wells are said to be contaminated. Bacteria can come from any number of sources, but I'll bet you'll find a CAFO under every one of those dark red pixels. Loosening the rules to allow those operations to pollute even more, and remove any power the DNR or local governments have to mitigate the risks, is insane.

For Trout streams this time of year poses a big danger from manure runoff. Waste is spread or sprayed on frozen fields and is locked onto the surface temporarily by the cold. Should a rapid thaw, or a heavy rain event occur, it can easily run off and into streams instead of dissolving into the soil. We've witnessed this recently in the Driftless Area on the West Fork, Black Earth Creek, Hickory Creek (IA) Willow Creek, Otter Creek, Gorman Creek (MN) and Castle Rock Creek, just to name a few.

As the old saying goes: "Whiskey is for drinking, water is for fighting over." Time to pick a fight with the bullies.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
fish4life  
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 25, 2018 9:56:28 PM(UTC)
fish4life

was thinking of moving to Vernon Co. on a trout stream but I see this happening way to often, and I would have no recourse if it happen on my part of the river so really thinking about relocating somewhere else.
just happened in Crawford on one of my fav creek last year and many more before that......COME ON GUYS GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER.
>>~}}}}}}'>
big_river_bum  
#13 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2018 2:23:01 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I fished from jersey valley up to the bridge yesterday and SAW 2 fish.

it's small enough water where you should be able to see any fish in the stream, whether while approaching a section or just walking by and spooking it

I don't know if fish move upstream from that area this time of year or if they're able to survive at all in the lake
Guillermo  
#14 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2018 6:15:53 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Originally Posted by: big_river_bum Go to Quoted Post

it's small enough water where you should be able to see any fish in the stream, whether while approaching a section or just walking by and spooking it

I don't know if fish move upstream from that area this time of year or if they're able to survive at all in the lake

You're talking about the creek above the lake right? Up to the bridge by the County Park? I fished that last March and caught probably 20 brookies in a couple hours. Your experience makes it sound like the worst-case scenario may have happened.
big_river_bum  
#15 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2018 10:51:39 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

You're talking about the creek above the lake right? Up to the bridge by the County Park? I fished that last March and caught probably 20 brookies in a couple hours. Your experience makes it sound like the worst-case scenario may have happened.

yes

I fished it last September and caught some nice brookies out of that little cliff pool.
Gurth  
#16 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2018 12:13:39 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 58 post(s)
It's entirely possible that the worst case has happened.

What I will say though is that I fished a lot of places this season - places where I've had 20+ fish days - and didn't see a single fish. Not even in the pools. Nothing.

As was stated, you'd at least expect to be spooking them.

I have no idea where they went.

I've experienced a dramatically different winter of fishing this year as compared to last.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Guillermo  
#17 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2018 12:55:03 PM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 23 post(s)

yes

I fished it last September and caught some nice brookies out of that little cliff pool.

I caught a few “tanks” as far as Driftless Brookies are concerned in the deep pool immediately upstream of the lake.

As Gurth said, it’s possible it was only by chance that you didn’t see hardly any fish. But I have a feeling we know the reason...as sad as it may be.
big_river_bum  
#18 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2018 10:27:08 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

yes

I caught a few “tanks” as far as Driftless Brookies are concerned in the deep pool immediately upstream of the lake.

As Gurth said, it’s possible it was only by chance that you didn’t see hardly any fish. But I have a feeling we know the reason...as sad as it may be.

the bottom half of that pool had ice on it. the top half didn't and I was trying to keep an eye out for fish, but didn't see any. although the 6 geese honking at my 8 month old pup and him freaking out did kind of distract me Laugh I don't remember seeing any mud plumes or anything indicating bottom holding fish being spooked