Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 21, 2018 2:11:36 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 68 post(s)
The stars finally aligned today to allow me to get out for my first fishing trip of 2018. I decided to return to the same stream I finished on the final day last season, a tradition I've been doing for a few years now.

I was surprised to find the stream a bit silted in places. Some of the deeper holes and runs were now defiantly shallower than it was last fall. I guess the creek needs some spring gully washers to flush some of that sediment out. But the water flow today was good and running pretty clear. There was no wind and with the sun warming things up I could fish with just a sweater and a baseball cap. I even ditched the gloves after awhile.
UserPostedImage

I started with a small leech pattern I tied just last week and immediately starting getting hits. Small streamers were definitely the ticket today, everything else I tried was ignored. I also saw a few risers, but didn't carry any dry flies in my vest this trip.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

And then, A Tiger! I had caught one here last fall on my last day in this same creek, but about 1/2 mile further downstream. It couldn't be the same one, could it???
UserPostedImage

I believe it is the same fish - 99 days apart! Pretty amazing. He looks a little thinner than last fall, but is still sporting those bright colors. He fought furiously, just like he did last fall. I can't wait for him to get bigger and catch him again later this summer.

Here's something you don't see on January 20th very often: a live snake, in the water. He was very stiff in the cold water and moving very slowly. Not sure what he was doing coming out while the ground is still frozen, but I'm betting he will end up as critter food if he doesn't find his way back to his den.
UserPostedImage

About 1PM there was enough snow melt into the stream to drop the water temperature - and the fishing shut down. I spent more hours driving today than actually fishing. But it felt good to feel the tug on my line again. Not a bad first day at all.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Sponsor
mbchilton  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 21, 2018 2:54:16 AM(UTC)
mbchilton

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Same fish. Congrats!
NBrevitz  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 21, 2018 4:12:14 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 29 post(s)
That definitely the same fish, awesome! I had a “pet” Rainbow that I caught 6-7 times over a couple seasons, but I’ve never pinned a Tiger down twice, let alone 99 days apart! Congrats!
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Gurth  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 21, 2018 6:01:05 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 49 post(s)
I was wondering if those were your boot prints.

I started at the larger river that yours empties into and ended at yours.

Didn't stay long coz I figured it was you and knew that if it was, the fish had all been caught already for the day. BigGrin

That and the bite pretty much died out about mid afternoon coz of the melt.

Edited by user Sunday, January 21, 2018 7:15:49 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
William Schlafer  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 21, 2018 7:24:26 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
I was wondering if those were your boot prints.
I started at the larger river that yours empties into and ended at yours.
Didn't stay long coz I figured it was you and knew that if it was, the fish had all been caught already for the day. BigGrin
That and the bite pretty much died out about mid afternoon coz of the melt.

Ah, too bad we didn't run into each other. I could've shown you a few secret spots.

I think I was the first person to fish there this year. Saw no footprints anywhere along the road or the stream. The bite was pretty good until it shut right down at 1:00PM once the snow melt started trickling in. My thermometer showed a 2 degree water temperature drop from the morning. That's all it takes to shut the fish down, so I headed home.

Stopped for a couple beers at Wisconsin Brewery in Verona. Nothing better after a day of fishing!

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 21, 2018 8:53:30 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post

I think I was the first person to fish there this year. Saw no footprints anywhere along the road or the stream.

Which means I could have been the first. Mad

Laugh

My buddy wanted to go where we went in the AM coz he has a cabin on the ridge over it.

He doesn't fish much, so I deferred.

Otherwise we may have been shoulder to shoulder fighting it out. Laugh

Actually, I'd have just gone somewhere else if someone was already there.

I scared up a few fish (caught 2 browns and the small brookie) down below the bridge but barely saw a fish on the stretch you had already plundered and caught nothing up there.

Didn't get there till 2:30 though and as you said, it was shut down well before that.

Edited by user Sunday, January 21, 2018 9:24:10 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

mmalyuk  
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 21, 2018 9:07:21 PM(UTC)
mmalyuk

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Congrats Bill! Crazy stuff.
Gurth  
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 21, 2018 9:23:08 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

A friend went fishing yesterday on a Dane County stream and only got 1 fish and it was a tiger.

Go figure.
WI-fly  
#9 Posted : Monday, January 22, 2018 8:31:55 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Nice report Bill and congrats on that Tiger, again.

I found the same thing with small streamers this weekend. Couldn't get anything else to go. Saw some midge risers on a glass pool, so I tried at tiny midge. Scared every fish in there with one cast.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
Pete  
#10 Posted : Monday, January 22, 2018 10:23:47 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
You should name that brook trout:-) He's practically a pet of yours now.