Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Guillermo  
#11 Posted : Monday, January 22, 2018 12:45:58 PM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 20 post(s)
I have two goals every year that pretty much go hand in hand. One is to catch a 20 inch inland Wisconsin Brookie. Two is to not die trying. Never have accomplished the first. Manage to accomplish the second every year, but I've put it put it to the test a few times, probably a little more than I would have cared to. Drowning and/or getting permanently stuck in the northern quicksand are legitimate concerns in the search for the mythical beast and the places he/she undoubtedly resides. On to 2018...the odds are long...but I like them anyway. Picture to follow in the coming year. Or maybe you'll never hear from me again. In that case, you can probably figure out what happened.

Edited by user Monday, January 22, 2018 12:48:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Guillermo for this useful post.
EddieRivard on 1/22/2018(UTC)
catbag  
#12 Posted : Monday, January 22, 2018 1:13:07 PM(UTC)
catbag

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Did a half way decent job at the 2017 goals

1) Go out twice a month at least - I made this happen until August, when my first kiddo was born.
2) Night fish once - Nope
3) Spend at least one outing streamer fishing only - yup; zero fish to show for it though. Still lost when it comes to this one.
4) Spend at least one outing fishing dries only - I couldn't go a full outing strictly using them but I did use them more than normal, so I am counting it
5) Catch a steelhead - Kamloop caught, smoked and ate. Not a steelhead but it was still a success.
6) Catch a muskie or have a follow - caught my first ever muskie and it was on the fly. Only problem is that it was maybe18" haha!
7) Up my personal best for brown trout - Didn't happen
thanks 1 user thanked catbag for this useful post.
NBrevitz  
#13 Posted : Monday, January 22, 2018 5:11:28 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Guillermo Go to Quoted Post
I have two goals every year that pretty much go hand in hand. One is to catch a 20 inch inland Wisconsin Brookie. Two is to not die trying. Never have accomplished the first. Manage to accomplish the second every year, but I've put it put it to the test a few times, probably a little more than I would have cared to. Drowning and/or getting permanently stuck in the northern quicksand are legitimate concerns in the search for the mythical beast and the places he/she undoubtedly resides. On to 2018...the odds are long...but I like them anyway. Picture to follow in the coming year. Or maybe you'll never hear from me again. In that case, you can probably figure out what happened.

I think you’re crazy but I encourage you in your pursuit. Sounds Ahab-esque, but I’m sure I’ll have the same goal in a few years. I’ll explore the NE more this season.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
s.t.fanatic  
#14 Posted : Monday, January 22, 2018 6:00:21 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I dont set goals like i use to but I think if I did I would keep them in reality. I came close to catching a brookie over 16" last season but not quite there yet, 15.5". I think that If i made it a goal I would almost always be disappointed because I dont make the effort to target them. I love the pursuit of big browns and big migratory brows in the driftless is a reality if you know where and when to look.
mmalyuk  
#15 Posted : Monday, January 22, 2018 6:01:53 PM(UTC)
mmalyuk

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Didn't meet my 2017 goals but they are basically the same for this year.

- Catch 30 browns over 20".
- 18" brookie.
- 1 tiger.
- Fish a minimum of 10 new streams.
Hoggies  
#16 Posted : Monday, January 22, 2018 9:29:40 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
☑ Clear 20" on a brown (did it on a mepps)
❌ Fish 50 days overall, 20 for trout (work really jammed me up on this, I worked a lot of midweek OT and Saturdays. I think I ended up at like 30 overall and 10 troutin').
☑ Catch a brookie (it ended up being a BWCA stocker since I sent so little time on the streams).
❌ Land a lake trout (I had a few on in the BWCA, but they weren't having it).

'18
-Get my daughter (age 6) out fishing at least 15 times over the summer.
-20"+ brown or rainbow on a fly.
-Catch every species (bluegill, perch, crappie, LMB, Northern) in my local reservoir on a fly.
thanks 1 user thanked Hoggies for this useful post.
Gurth  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, January 23, 2018 2:06:11 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I don't have fish related goals anymore as I've pretty much caught everything that's in the waters that I hit. Sure, I hope to better personal bests, but that will happen organically over the years due to time on the water, not by me "targeting" big fish. I'm always looking for/hoping for/targeting big fish.

That said, I'm not willing to spend time on the lower parts of streams where they may be more likely to hang out. They'll have to be in the areas I like to go or I simply won't catch them. And I'm okay with that.

The real issue will be whether I can land one if/when I get it on.

Anyway… my "goals" for 2018 are these…

Don't let results be the main thing that colors my perception of a day.

-Too often at the end of a slow day, I'm thinking that it was a complete waste of time and thinking about the opportunity cost – all the other things I could have gotten done instead. I'm downright pissy.

-It's a nice sentiment to think that just being on a stream is reward enough and catching fish is a bonus and I agree on an overarching basis. That said… you can't convince me of that after a day of sweating, stumbling, getting snagged, getting gnatted and having not much in the catching department to show for it.

-I'd like to improve my attitude in this area. It's already a struggle this year.

Slow down and stop chasing that next fish.

-I'm aware of the beauty that surrounds me on a stream but I'm usually not seeing it or experiencing it as I'm too focused on reading the stream and making that next cast.

-I'm a photographer and am taking my camera with me every day this season and hope that this will encourage me to slow down and "see" the things that surround me. In addition, I will capture some of the interesting things that I see with more than an iPhone quality photo.

-I'm also hoping to bring the GoPro along and get some underwater footage.

-If I do these things, it will force me to slow down.

Fish the Driftless Area less. Yep.

-Want to spend more time in different parts of the state and tackle new environments. There are waters up around the Baraboo Ridge that I haven't been to and a few that I want to revisit.

-I also want to spend more time on Sand County streams even if they will most likely be very frustrating. Who knows though – maybe I'll figure them out.

Do at least a couple of overnighters up Nort and maybe even into the U.P.

-I'd like to check out more northern locations and they're just a bit too far for a day trip, so I'm hoping to camp and fish. Possibly (likely) solo.

Trout fish less.

-I have kayaks and we're looking to get a canoe so we can take my younger son and the dog out on the water. Need to tear myself away from streams and spend more time floating.

-Also… I catch a lot of trout. I'm decent at it. I'm very average at catching everything else and would like to get better. Northern and bass especially. A few walleyes for the fryer would be nice too.

And if that seemed long, that's the edited version. Flapper
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
rschmidt  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, January 23, 2018 10:18:59 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Hahaha Nick. I have 8 tigers lifetime. The good thing is it always seems Shebs is around to see em and not catch em. I too have caught brook trout fever! A goal is to land a 20" driftless brookie. I know of 3 probable places, but I am sure there are more. Finding one in the 99.5 percentile is a lifetime achievement. It will go free after some video close up. If I fail for more than 5 years I guess I'll have to canoe the Sutton River and fork over cash to see one that grand. Let's plan to fish after you get out of the ice shacks. Peace. R
thanks 1 user thanked rschmidt for this useful post.
EddieRivard on 1/23/2018(UTC)
NBrevitz  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, January 24, 2018 12:07:09 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rschmidt Go to Quoted Post
Hahaha Nick. I have 8 tigers lifetime. The good thing is it always seems Shebs is around to see em and not catch em. I too have caught brook trout fever! A goal is to land a 20" driftless brookie. I know of 3 probable places, but I am sure there are more. Finding one in the 99.5 percentile is a lifetime achievement. It will go free after some video close up. If I fail for more than 5 years I guess I'll have to canoe the Sutton River and fork over cash to see one that grand. Let's plan to fish after you get out of the ice shacks. Peace. R

That’s 4 four than I have. And yes, absolutely, we’ll get out soon👍
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
William Schlafer  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, January 24, 2018 2:06:32 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 65 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
Don't let results be the main thing that colors my perception of a day.

That's a big one that I learned about five years ago. Stop chasing that next fish, or fixating on numbers as the measuring stick for how good your day was., Learn to enjoy the scenery, the weather, the wildlife, the solitude and the simple act of fishing. Ironically, once you get to that point, the fishing becomes easier and you'll end up catching more and appreciate it more.

As Warren Zevon once said: "Enjoy every sandwich." Words to the wise.

-Bill

Edited by user Wednesday, January 24, 2018 2:07:47 AM(UTC)  | Reason: damned typos!

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 1 user thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
tenkara_guy on 1/24/2018(UTC)