Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
OTC_MN  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, January 30, 2018 2:23:37 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Originally Posted by: shebs Go to Quoted Post
So excuse my spin fisher ignorance if this is a stupid question, but what's the difference between a streamer and a soft hackle wet fly? Seems awfully similar to my admittedly untrained eye.

Size mainly - and the absence of a wing. Soft hackles are usually size 12 to 18 or so, so fairly small compared to streamers. They are also fished differently as they're swing across and down stream (although you can do that with streamers too obviously).

A purist version of a soft hackle has three materials - silk thread which is used for both the tying thread and body, some kind of thorax material, either dubbing or peacock herl, and the hackle, which is usually partridge or starling.

"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
madguy30  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, January 30, 2018 3:14:39 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: OTC_MN Go to Quoted Post
So excuse my spin fisher ignorance if this is a stupid question, but what's the difference between a streamer and a soft hackle wet fly? Seems awfully similar to my admittedly untrained eye.

Size mainly - and the absence of a wing. Soft hackles are usually size 12 to 18 or so, so fairly small compared to streamers. They are also fished differently as they're swing across and down stream (although you can do that with streamers too obviously).

A purist version of a soft hackle has three materials - silk thread which is used for both the tying thread and body, some kind of thorax material, either dubbing or peacock herl, and the hackle, which is usually partridge or starling.

Streamers are also supposed to be more of minnow/crayfish imitation while soft hackle tend to be more nymph/young bugs.

I fish them both up stream and drifting...seems to work. I think when I read through these threads I've realized I'm kind of a lazy fly fisherman, haha. :)
William Schlafer  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, January 30, 2018 7:38:43 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 85 post(s)
Thanks for the input guys!

Heading to the fly shop tomorrow to pick up supplies for a weekend on the tying bench. I love that burnt orange color thread. Gotta find some of that too.

I'm a horrible top water dry fly fisherman and I do very little of it. So swinging these soft hackle patterns could be a nice transition from the streamers and nymphs I usually stick with. I've talked to several highly experienced fly fishermen recently and they said soft hackles should definitely be in my fly box. Plus, for a small fly they seem relatively easy to tie, which is good for my fat fingers and weak eyes.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
William Schlafer  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, January 30, 2018 9:29:41 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Here's a version of a streamer built with soft hackle.

I might give this one a try too.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
tenkara_guy  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 3:12:29 AM(UTC)
tenkara_guy

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Shebs, others have answered your question before I got back to the forum. Sorry to be slow!

OTC_MN, those look great! Thanks for the pictures, ideas, and hints. I've been using Pearsalls in olive and yellow, and a Japanese silk for orange. I'll get some jasper.

Bill, the soft hackle wingless wets are pretty easy and even fun to tie. I'm totally going down the rabbit hole. Loving every minute of it. Don't be afraid to fish them upstream, too.
"I will explain to him as an acceptable realpolitik: if the trout are lost, smash the state." -- Thomas McGuane
WI-fly  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 6:43:08 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 16 post(s)

I don't fish a lot of soft hackle, but I see the difference between them and streamers as how they are fished. Soft hackles are fished more on the swing (cast upstream, keep the line tight as it swings below you, give it a twitch or two at the end of the cast), whereas streamers are stripped as soon as they hit the water. You can swing a streamer, but I have always found the best action when they are constantly on the move. My $.02.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
moosekid  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 10:48:41 PM(UTC)
moosekid

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
If you guys are getting into soft hackles and wets -- this blog has some excellent info.

http://smallstreamreflections.blogspot.com/

In addition to being a great tier/photographer/writer -- this dude is very knowledgeable about the history of all the patterns and usually gets me excited to try tying new things.

Millions of posts up here, the archives go on for years...
thanks 2 users thanked moosekid for this useful post.
tenkara_guy on 2/1/2018(UTC), OTC_MN on 2/1/2018(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#18 Posted : Thursday, February 1, 2018 2:01:53 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Originally Posted by: moosekid Go to Quoted Post
If you guys are getting into soft hackles and wets -- this blog has some excellent info.

In addition to being a great tier/photographer/writer -- this dude is very knowledgeable about the history of all the patterns and usually gets me excited to try tying new things.

Great link. Thanks!

-Bill
weiliwen  
#19 Posted : Thursday, February 1, 2018 3:38:00 AM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)

I love reading about the North County flies, and the traditional flies of the British Isles in general.

Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
OTC_MN  
#20 Posted : Thursday, February 1, 2018 4:13:17 AM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 19 post(s)

Thanks for sharing the link. Looks like some great stuff.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown