Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
winonaflyfactory  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 28, 2018 7:26:32 PM(UTC)
winonaflyfactory

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I live in Winona County and I'm considering crossing the river to mix it up in Wisconsin this season. After 10 years of fishing in Minnesota I think its time I start exploring into Wisconsin. Anyone have any advice for someone who thinks they know what they are doing in Minnesota and wants to translate that to Wisconsin? Thanks.
Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 28, 2018 7:51:54 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 92 time(s) in 78 post(s)
Although I've never fished (for Trout) on MN streams, I would guess they're pretty much the same as those you'll find in Wisconsin. Once you get to Viroqua you'll pretty much find quality Trout streams in every direction you look.

Just one thing to watch out for. We drive on the right side of the road, not the left like they do in MN.

BigGrin

All kidding aside, I love your website. With your approach, style and attention to detail you will do well wherever you wet your line.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
EddieRivard  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 29, 2018 1:28:14 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
The first year you buy a non resident license you get a pretty good discounted price if you've never bought one before. That's how they get you hooked and then the next year rolls around and it's like 65 bucks when you throw in the trout stamp. I never keep MN trout but if I'm paying 65 bucks for a year of fishing I'm bringing a limit home every time. One thing I've noticed in keeping trout is that the bigger they get the better they taste. The aged meat of a Brown Trout in the 20 inch class is exceedingly delicious. I also like how the meat pulls easier off the bones of large trout once they are smoked. Wisconsin needs to put more money into their stocking programs because I've been noticing a lot less big browns in the waters that I fish a lot. Get it together Wisconsin!
thanks 2 users thanked EddieRivard for this useful post.
mbchilton on 1/29/2018(UTC), NBrevitz on 1/29/2018(UTC)
winonaflyfactory  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 29, 2018 9:17:22 PM(UTC)
winonaflyfactory

Thanks for the info guys, I'll look into the license information a bit more when it gets closer to April I think. I'm curious is there notable differences between WI HI work and MN HI work? I can tell you that IMO MN HI work has it's own feel regardless of if you like it or not the fellas doing the work (and yes I know there are more than one crew, and yes you probably can guess who I'm referring to, and no I don't want to get into any sort of debate about the guys or there work) tend to create projects that feel the same to me and I tend to get bored fast. Wondering if HI work in WI has a similar feel...

Thanks for the comment re:my site Bill. Been at it a while now...interesting how the years pass by.
NBrevitz  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 29, 2018 11:44:37 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Originally Posted by: winonaflyfactory Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the info guys, I'll look into the license information a bit more when it gets closer to April I think. I'm curious is there notable differences between WI HI work and MN HI work? I can tell you that IMO MN HI work has it's own feel regardless of if you like it or not the fellas doing the work (and yes I know there are more than one crew, and yes you probably can guess who I'm referring to, and no I don't want to get into any sort of debate about the guys or there work) tend to create projects that feel the same to me and I tend to get bored fast. Wondering if HI work in WI has a similar feel...

Thanks for the comment re:my site Bill. Been at it a while now...interesting how the years pass by.

A lot of the best stuff over there is pretty natural. Head north or south of La Crosse and explore, tons of water down there.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
shebs  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 29, 2018 11:56:19 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Keep in mind the WI license expires at the end of March, not February like MN - i.e. don't buy until April unless you absolutely need to hop the river sooner.

As a Minnesotan, I find that there isn't much difference across the border aside from the sheer quantity of water in WI compared to MN, and the access laws are a bit more angler friendly.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
madguy30  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 30, 2018 12:59:53 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: shebs Go to Quoted Post
Keep in mind the WI license expires at the end of March, not February like MN - i.e. don't buy until April unless you absolutely need to hop the river sooner.

As a Minnesotan, I find that there isn't much difference across the border aside from the sheer quantity of water in WI compared to MN, and the access laws are a bit more angler friendly.

I could be wrong but I think buying a WI license in March goes through to the next year, kind of a grand-fathered in sort of thing.

I took some friends out a few years ago and I remember this being a concern but the licenses carried over.

If I were to just check out a spot or two I might buy single day licenses until I knew I'd spend more than a few times there.

I used to buy daily licenses when I went back to Iowa but realized I was fishing more and more, so just bought the non-res. annual.
shebs  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 30, 2018 2:42:33 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Originally Posted by: madguy30 Go to Quoted Post

I could be wrong but I think buying a WI license in March goes through to the next year, kind of a grand-fathered in sort of thing.

I took some friends out a few years ago and I remember this being a concern but the licenses carried over.

If I were to just check out a spot or two I might buy single day licenses until I knew I'd spend more than a few times there.

I used to buy daily licenses when I went back to Iowa but realized I was fishing more and more, so just bought the non-res. annual.

That is true. Now that I think about it, somewhere towards the end of the March, licenses are available for the coming year.

Beware the one-days though - in MN, a one day license includes trout validation, in WI it does NOT. effectively doubles the cost of a one-day trout license for WI.

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
winonaflyfactory  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 30, 2018 3:07:59 PM(UTC)
winonaflyfactory

Thank you very much for the additional information regarding the license stuff fellas.
WI-fly  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 6:12:10 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: winonaflyfactory Go to Quoted Post
Thank you very much for the additional information regarding the license stuff fellas.

WFF - Thanks for all you share on your blog and your YouTube channel. That is high quality work. Some of the best I've seen from midwest fly fishers.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram