Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZP6  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 8, 2018 5:36:14 PM(UTC)
ZP6

Man

Hi guys,
My brother in law is getting his MBA this summer and I wanted to give him a gift and thought a guided trip chasing some bass or musky would be fun. Anyone have a recommendation for me? Would prefer someone in the Western or Northwestern part of the state. Also he would be spin fishing and I would be fly fishing. Thanks in advance
trapper  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 8, 2018 11:19:11 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Any preferences to the age of the guide?
Get Reel
EddieRivard  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 9, 2018 12:04:30 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: trapper Go to Quoted Post

Good thing you brought this up Trapper as a lot of people can be really picky about how old their fishing guide is.

Some want a strapping young guide full of spunk who can row that drift boat from dawn to dusk without breaking a sweat.

Others want an older gentlemen who knows every bend and every rock in every river. He may be old and frail but will reliably put who on fish in any conditions.

A few guys would prefer a middle aged guide. Some would say the best of both worlds but others would stay away from a middle aged guide. His wife and kids put too much stress on him and he has little energy left to row or tell you where to cast.

A few select men who prefer a woman to be their guide. They are used to taking their marching orders from women so having a woman as their guide would simply be maintaining the status quo.

I've put a lot of thought into this the last few months which is why I have developed a site called

Guide Selector-The worlds ultimate guide selection website

There are 32 variables that will help you select the guide that is right for you.

Age, Sex, Race, Hair Color, Type of Watercraft, General Appearance, Grooming Habits, Species of Specialty, Lunch Menu Items and Weight are just a few of the variables that you can choose from. ThumpUp

Edited by user Friday, February 9, 2018 12:20:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

stan b  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 9, 2018 12:31:26 AM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: EddieRivard Go to Quoted Post

Good thing you brought this up Trapper as a lot of people can be really picky about how old their fishing guide is.

Some want a strapping young guide full of spunk who can row that drift boat from dawn to dusk without breaking a sweat.

Others want an older gentlemen who knows every bend and every rock in every river. He may be old and frail but will reliably put who on fish in any conditions.

A few guys would prefer a middle aged guide. Some would say the best of both worlds but others would stay away from a middle aged guide. His wife and kids put too much stress on him and he has little energy left to row or tell you where to cast.

A few select men who prefer a woman to be their guide. They are used to taking their marching orders from women so having a woman as their guide would simply be maintaining the status quo.

I've put a lot of thought into this the last few months which is why I have developed a site called

Guide Selector-The worlds ultimate guide selection website

There are 32 variables that will help you select the guide that is right for you.

Age, Sex, Race, Hair Color, Type of Watercraft, General Appearance, Grooming Habits, Species of Specialty, Lunch Menu Items and Weight are just a few of the variables that you can choose from. ThumpUp

Very good Eddie, well played.

Yet there is so much to be said and so little time and space to say it.

Back to watching "Moonshiners."

Stan b
"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
ZP6  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 2:38:48 PM(UTC)
ZP6

Man

Age doesn’t matter to me. Just someone that will put us on some fish and show us a good time.
NBrevitz  
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 4:06:16 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I know a guy who could guide you in the MN Metro or possibly a bit into Wisconsin for Bass, he knows his stuff.

Edited by user Monday, February 12, 2018 1:16:19 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Confluence  
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 5:52:06 PM(UTC)
Confluence

There are many options for musky guides in the Northwoods. I would just be sure to check that they can accommodate both fly and spin anglers.

One that I would highly recommend is Wisconsin Fly Fishing Company out of Eau Claire (http://www.wisconsinflyfishingcompany.com). I have taken river float trips with Hunter on several occasions with excellent success for smallmouth and musky. His enthusiasm and knowledge would be hard to match! I know that he does take on spin-fishing clients as well.

If catching fish is the priority, nothing beats the fun of River Smallmouth. I hope this helps!
JGF  
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 8:47:33 PM(UTC)
JGF

Man
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Confluence Go to Quoted Post
There are many options for musky guides in the Northwoods. I would just be sure to check that they can accommodate both fly and spin anglers.

That'll be the challenge, depending upon how experienced the anglers are. You're unlikely to find a guide that specializes in both. Probably easier to find a FF guide that can help both ways. Anyone can accommodate both, few will be able do help both as effectively as the guy that specializes in one method.

Guides are certainly experienced teaching people who are not experienced FF'ers. Your bro-in-law might want to try it out without having to buy any equipment.

ZP6  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2018 2:59:59 AM(UTC)
ZP6

Man

Originally Posted by: Confluence Go to Quoted Post

One that I would highly recommend is Wisconsin Fly Fishing Company out of Eau Claire (http://www.wisconsinflyfishingcompany.com). I have taken river float trips with Hunter on several occasions with excellent success for smallmouth and musky. His enthusiasm and knowledge would be hard to match! I know that he does take on spin-fishing clients as well.

If catching fish is the priority, nothing beats the fun of River Smallmouth. I hope this helps!

Awesome! I’ll take a look this week. Thanks for the recommendation.