Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
big_river_bum  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 15, 2018 3:20:48 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
cabela's has the glass cgr rods onsale for $40. $120 rods that's I've always paid about 70 bucks for and they were a steal at that price. now they're just giving them away.

4wt is a perfect rod for the driftless. I have the 2,3,4,and 5/6. I like the 2wt best. COLLECT THEM ALL!!!Flapper
thanks 1 user thanked big_river_bum for this useful post.
SquareEgg on 2/15/2018(UTC)
Sponsor
SquareEgg  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 15, 2018 3:01:31 PM(UTC)
SquareEgg

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Awesome. I bought two of the 3wt last year for myself and my father with creek fishing brookies in mind. Super fun rod
big_river_bum  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 11:11:11 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Originally Posted by: SquareEgg Go to Quoted Post
Awesome. I bought two of the 3wt last year for myself and my father with creek fishing brookies in mind. Super fun rod

I landed a 16" brown on the 3wt a few years ago. talk about a challenge Woot

sadly I don't see the cgr reel anywhere on cabelas site to match with the rod. I'm guessing they're phasing them both out since the bass pro shops merger. I'm going to buy back ups for the 2 and 4 wt

I don't know how they compare to top end glass rods, but for someone looking to dip their toe in the waters of glass you can't find a better rod to try it out. if you don't like it you're out 40 bucks. no biggie
WI-fly  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 18, 2018 3:28:13 AM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Just ordered a 6'6" 4wt. Have never tried a glass fly rod, but look forward to putting this one in my arsenal.

$39 for a fly rod?!? Do it!!
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
kinni  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 21, 2018 5:20:00 PM(UTC)
kinni

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I just picked up a 2wt yesterday. I've also never owned a fiberglass rod, so I'm really looking forward to putting this one to use. I already have a Lamson 1 reel spooled up with 2wt line, so I'm all set. Should be a blast fighting fish of any size. Hopefully not too much of a challenge to cast. I've also never tried casting a rod this short or slow, so I'm suspecting it will take a bit to get used to, but I'm definitely looking forward to giving it a go!

By the way, I picked up mine in Woodbury. They have several still on display, including 2wts. The price on the tags didn't show the sale price and it wasn't advertised anyplace I could see, but they rang up at the correct $39.99 price at the register. Make sure to ask for the case that also comes along with the rod at this discounted price.
big_river_bum  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 21, 2018 6:09:28 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Originally Posted by: kinni Go to Quoted Post
I just picked up a 2wt yesterday. I've also never owned a fiberglass rod, so I'm really looking forward to putting this one to use. I already have a Lamson 1 reel spooled up with 2wt line, so I'm all set. Should be a blast fighting fish of any size. Hopefully not too much of a challenge to cast. I've also never tried casting a rod this short or slow, so I'm suspecting it will take a bit to get used to, but I'm definitely looking forward to giving it a go!

By the way, I picked up mine in Woodbury. They have several still on display, including 2wts. The price on the tags didn't show the sale price and it wasn't advertised anyplace I could see, but they rang up at the correct $39.99 price at the register. Make sure to ask for the case that also comes along with the rod at this discounted price.

the rod cases are nice

I like the 2wt better cuz it's like 6" longer than the 3 wt. I save the 3 wt for tight casting on small headwaters. the 2wt gets used in most active hatch situations and is fun for panfish
Alex_Lifeson  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 21, 2018 7:50:06 PM(UTC)
Alex_Lifeson

Man

I got my 3wt in the mail yesterday and was able to get out for a bit today to take her for a test drive. The half dozen or so brookies were definitely a blast to catch. This is my first glass rod and it took a bit to adjust from my go to rod which is a 7' 6" 3 wt. I plan on using it during close quarter combat on the smaller streams around me.

For $40 you can't really go wrong with the CGR.
Matt
~Aspiring Trout Bum~
paul worsterberg of the deplacements  
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 22, 2018 7:57:31 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
one piece of advice...I bought two of these rods via the cabela's website and i had to send both back due to poor QC.

both rods had the same problem--the pieces didn't fit together correctly. cabela's said all the rod are like that and ended up sending me a $41.and change refund check.

maybe third time is a charm? or buy from a store to physically handle the rod. either way, with these prices, this is one fly rod my wife can't yell at me for bringing home (at least i look at it that way)
snbrd4evr  
#9 Posted : Thursday, February 22, 2018 8:05:45 PM(UTC)
snbrd4evr

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: paul worsterberg of the deplacements Go to Quoted Post
one piece of advice...I bought two of these rods via the cabela's website and i had to send both back due to poor QC.

both rods had the same problem--the pieces didn't fit together correctly. cabela's said all the rod are like that and ended up sending me a $41.and change refund check.

maybe third time is a charm? or buy from a store to physically handle the rod. either way, with these prices, this is one fly rod my wife can't yell at me for bringing home (at least i look at it that way)

Just out of curiosity, was this your problem?

UserPostedImage

http://fiberglassflyrodd...mp;t=15602&start=200

Quote:
The Cabela's CGR rods have spigot ferrules, not tip over butt ferrules.

Jake, Spigot ferrules are supposed to leave a gap between the two rod sections. The spigot section itself acts as a connector for the the rod sections being joined together. The gap leaves room for wear over time. Trying to force the sections together will only damage the rod. I use ferrule wax on my CGR rods to make assembling and disassembling them easier
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 22, 2018 8:29:28 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
@snbrd4evr

YES! the pic you attached is exactly what my rod looked like. i thought it was a defect. silly ignorant me. ignorant cabela's too. they told me there was a "defect" and all rods were like this...looks like i might try again...