Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Guillermo  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 21, 2018 6:56:48 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 20 post(s)
The latest installment of Outdoor News provided the list of questions that will be asked of the public at the Conservation Congress spring hearings on Monday April 9th.
One question will read:

"Do you support the opening of the Wisconsin inland trout regular harvest season statewide on the first Saturday in April with existing bag limits, size limits and gear restrictions?"

I do not. This is a similar issue to the 2 week harvest extension and 2 month C&R extension in terms of a "one size fits all" type of regulation. Maybe I'd consider supporting it, only if a boundary is drawn, say Highway 29. South of that it would open early, north of that no way, which is in my opinion how the last regulation overhaul should have been applied. I love the Driftless. I love northern freestone country. But they both deserve more respect than to be managed as identical resources.
Sponsor
shebs  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 21, 2018 7:25:40 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I could get behind that suggestion. They're just keeping up with the joneses over on mn, as our harvest opener is second weekend in April. I agree with the geographic restrictions too - our harvest on the north shore ends Sept 30, so MN dnr agrees that the driftless should be managed differently than the north woods.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
rschmidt  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 21, 2018 12:46:49 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I wouldn't be opposed either under same bag restrictions. A lot folks do not harvest anyway. One draw back would be that opening would be moved to April and that is a great month to fish, too bad it will be a crowd zone in a few places for a few weeks in April. R
William Schlafer  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 21, 2018 2:35:45 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 64 post(s)
I would agree that the eco-systems between the northern and southern parts of the state are different and should be managed in a way that recognizes the differences of those environments. It would be good to hear what our DNR scientists have to say on the matter.

Oh, wait... Walker replaced them all with real estate salesmen.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Pete  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 21, 2018 3:31:16 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
If I've read it correctly, ""with existing gear restrictions" would mean that harvest in the prospective April opening would apply only to those using artificials, e.g., fly and gear fishermen; bait anglers could not participate in harvest or C&R? Biologically speaking, I doubt that allowing some harvest for an additional month (south of U.S. 10 only or something like that) would damage the resource, but additional segregation will cause its own set of problems. As if those of us who fly fish don't have enough privileges already.
Gurth  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 21, 2018 3:41:03 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 41 post(s)
I don't know... whatevs...

It's so rare that I even see anyone keeping any and if they have to use artificials.... well at least they can't just sit over a hole like the asshat who high holed me last year with his 4 rods and worms.

It seems as though the DNR would like more of the fish kept.

I've heard the stories of old timers who don't fish anymore coz the regs are too confusing or whatever their excuse is. If true, is this a bone for them?

I don't fish up by Viroqua much, so where I usually go, there is a surge for the first couple of weeks in May and then things go back to almost every spot I want to go to being free most of the time. This might just push that up a couple of weeks.

Don't see how it would hurt the fishery. I mean if they harvest April 28th or May 7th, what's the difference?

I do agree with different management for different zones within the state based upon ecosystem.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Guillermo  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 21, 2018 3:59:03 PM(UTC)
Guillermo

I think the intention is that with moving the opener up a month, everything that is currently allowed as of the 1st Saturday in May would be allowed as of the 1st Saturday in April. I doubt they’d open the harvest up only to fly and spinner guys. All the meat fisherman I’ve met fish worms. And up here 90 % of trout anglers are meat anglers. Whereas in the Driftless it’s the polar opposite. The rivers here aren’t nearly as fertile and don’t support the mega populations of the spring creeks. These last two points just further lend credence to a cutoff boundary.
NBrevitz  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 21, 2018 4:01:46 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 28 post(s)
I doubt it would hurt the southern stuff a bit, and I do think its ridiculous that MN opens for harvest 3 weeks before WI.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Guillermo  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 21, 2018 4:08:36 PM(UTC)
Guillermo

Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post
I doubt it would hurt the southern stuff a bit, and I do think its ridiculous that MN opens for harvest 3 weeks before WI.

Agree, but as the question is currently written it warrants a strong “No” vote until it’s amended with a boundary line.
NBrevitz  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 21, 2018 5:29:55 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Guillermo Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post

Agree, but as the question is currently written it warrants a strong “No” vote until it’s amended with a boundary line.

We can agree on that. That said, would C&R from mid April until Opener really hurt anything? I wouldn’t think so?
It’s too bad that priorities are at times backwards in both areas. I understand if you don’t like to eat fish, but there are a ton of people who wouldn’t dare eat a 10 inch Brown from the Kinni or Timber Coulee shearly due to conservation. If only they knew they were actually helping the stream if anything...
On the contrary, I wouldn’t mind seeing the NE Freestoners managed as trophy fisheries with a bag of 2 fish under 12 inches, or something like that.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."