Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MNTrout68  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 1, 2018 5:57:16 PM(UTC)
MNTrout68

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Looking over my gear in preparation for getting back out there, I noticed that some of my tippet spools are getting a bit old. What is the useful life of tippet on a spool, assuming it has been stored in a dark, climate controlled closet. If it's five years old, should I worry about performance?

Related question - does anybody have strong opinions about brands? You can get a three-pack of Scientific Angler tippet on Amazon for $14, which seems to be a little better than the typical $5/spool I see elsewhere.
Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 1, 2018 6:41:10 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 87 post(s)
I recently have gone with using leaders with a tippet ring and a length of tippet to match whatever I'm casting. This works quite well as the leader can last many outings, and tippet is cheap(er) than replacing expensive leaders all the time. I highly recommend it.

The expensive fluorocarbon stuff might be worth it if you cast primarily dry flies and are looking for good casting performance. But I've found the (much) cheaper nylon tippet works just fine for everything else. Rio and Scientific Angler is about the same in terms of abrasion resistance and overall quality. Umpqua seems a step up in all categories. I picked up some Orvis brand tippet on sale last year and was very happy with it. I've been told Maxima also works well.

I have no idea about shelf life of tippet. But as cheap as it is, you might as well chuck the old stuff and buy some fresh.

Tires, condoms and fishing line are three things you should never skimp on!

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 2 users thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
HuggyBear on 3/1/2018(UTC), MNTrout68 on 3/2/2018(UTC)
HuggyBear  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 1, 2018 9:30:52 PM(UTC)
HuggyBear

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Tippet rings are awesome.

So are tying blood and double surgeon knots.

But tying on more tippet to a tippet ring takes a lot less time.

Thats why I use tippet rings.
thanks 1 user thanked HuggyBear for this useful post.
MNTrout68 on 3/2/2018(UTC)
OTC_MN  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 1, 2018 9:55:06 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Amen to tippet rings. Love the things. I think I had the same leader on my Euro rig for about 5 months because I never had to cut it back to tie on more tippet. If you need to float one to fish dries, Payette paste works.

Old tippet material: As long as it's stored well and not exposed to heat or UV, it'll last a long time.

As for brands, I do like Rio. I use a lot of Fluoro tippet nymphing, and have used Rio exclusively - until I tried the new Cortland tippet. That stuff is awesome. Handles more like mono, seems really tough. It's good stuff. Not cheap tho.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
Guillermo  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 2, 2018 10:50:31 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I usually buy Rio Powerflex. Gets the job done. One thing I would not recommend is to buy flourocarbon tippet. It's more than double the price of monofilament and in my opinion its effectiveness does not warrant that kind of price jump.
weiliwen  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 2, 2018 3:46:40 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Originally Posted by: OTC_MN Go to Quoted Post
Amen to tippet rings. Love the things. I think I had the same leader on my Euro rig for about 5 months because I never had to cut it back to tie on more tippet. If you need to float one to fish dries, Payette paste works.

Yesterday I had an issue with lines breaking off on fish, several times at the tippet ring. I hope those rings don't have a sharp edge that caused this, but I've now made a double clinch knot on there to avoid problems today. It might be the tippet material, or it might be, ahem, user error. We'll see today.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
thanks 1 user thanked weiliwen for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 3/2/2018(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 2, 2018 5:59:35 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 87 post(s)
Originally Posted by: weiliwen Go to Quoted Post
Yesterday I had an issue with lines breaking off on fish, several times at the tippet ring. I hope those rings don't have a sharp edge that caused this, but I've now made a double clinch knot on there to avoid problems today. It might be the tippet material, or it might be, ahem, user error. We'll see today.

I had that issue too with some cheap Amazon bought tippet rings I bought. A firm tug and the line would snap right at the ring. I put them under the microscope at work and sure enough there was a jagged edge of material around the inside of the rings. I chucked them in the trash and bought some nicer RIO tippet rings at my local fly shop. The bright shiny ones are the best and smoothest and least likely to have this problem.

I pre-rig my leaders with rings at my fly tying bench, because it's much easier to do it there and the lighting is better. It's overkill, but I've also been applying a tiny drop of Superglue on the leader knot at the ring.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 1 user thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
Hoggies  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 2, 2018 6:20:18 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I have a mix of Cabela's and Cortland. I don't use the Cortland very often because it's 5x and I'm not careful with my things. The Cabela's seems to work fine.
thanks 1 user thanked Hoggies for this useful post.
moosekid  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2018 8:24:44 PM(UTC)
moosekid

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Fluorocarbon sinks and is slightly stiffer than nylon. You pretty much never want to use it for dry-fly fishing...I only keep it in 5x - 7x. Because it's stiffer, I find that I get less tangles when fishing tandem nymph rigs with lighter tippets. If you fish alot of dry-dropper setups you might find you get less tangles and a faster sinking dropper when you use 5x fluoro (between the bend and the dropper fly...)

I replace my mono every year, but that's probably not necessary. I break off alot of fish and am constantly paranoid about my knots, so it's worth it to me to spend the 25$ a year to have more confidence in my knots...

Edited by user Monday, March 5, 2018 8:25:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked moosekid for this useful post.
MNTrout68 on 3/12/2018(UTC)