Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
patzelt  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2018 3:46:45 PM(UTC)
patzelt

Hi Everyone,

Will be in Viroqua the last week of March and wondering what flies and sizes to make up my box?

Have tied up size 18 in BWO, Adams and also size 18 emergers. Are these too big?

Thanks!
Sponsor
JGF  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2018 4:05:41 PM(UTC)
JGF

Man
United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 11 post(s)
No, not too big, those will work.

Probably a bit early but depending upon weather, some little black caddis could be useful.

Otherwise streamers, small nymphs (#18 to 22's), midges, and scuds are the early season standbys.
weiliwen  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2018 4:10:05 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I caught fish on all six streams I fished on with either a size 12 or 14 Pink Squirrel, fished as deeply as I would dare, with a small split shot in front about 4 inches, if needed. I also caught fish on a Mickey Finn, and a soft hackle streamer Bill Schlafer posted a video of in the Soft Hackle thread on the Fly Fishing section. Lastly, I caught some fish on a size 10 Muddler Minnow, again with a small split shot about 4 inches in front of it.

It's just me, but I rarely have any luck with tiny nymphs.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
madguy30  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2018 5:14:40 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Size 14 or 16 nymphs/scudsish flies and size 18 griffiths gnat will catch plenty of fish in most situations.
JGF  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2018 5:51:55 PM(UTC)
JGF

Man
United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: weiliwen Go to Quoted Post
It's just me, but I rarely have any luck with tiny nymphs.

I rarely fish them alone as I don't really have the confidence in them like I would a larger scud fished under a bobber. But when I fish them as trailers behind a scud (or scud-like fly), I find I usually catch at least half the fish on a tiny nymph.

Same with later in the season and the "dry and dropper season".

William Schlafer  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2018 6:28:01 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 64 post(s)
Unless the air temps consistently get up into the high 40s low 50s you are not likely to see BWOs in any numbers. Midges will hatch in cooler weather, but it's really frustrating to fish with those tiny bastards. As mentioned, a small black Caddis will work if the sun is on the water enough to warm up the stream bed and trigger a hatch. Black Stonefly patterns will also work well in March.

Much easier this time of year to work a small bead head scud or nymph, or a twitch a small streamer. I've had good luck so far this winter with a 3" black or olive rabbit strip streamer, tied to look like a leech or Sculpin. Pink Squirrels were working great for me a week ago. If the sun it out, try bouncing one though the riffle sections around mid-day when the Trout move up into the shallows to feed on nymphs.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
William Schlafer  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2018 11:20:59 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 64 post(s)
This Black Stonefly pattern might just be the trick around the Driftless Area in March. Although I rarely fish dries, I plan on tying some up for my next trip.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
madguy30  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2018 11:43:06 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
This Black Stonefly pattern might just be the trick around the Driftless Area in March. Although I rarely fish dries, I plan on tying some up for my next trip.

-Bill

That kind of pattern is why I just tie on one of my ugly griffiths gnats if there's fish rising. They sometimes look more like that than an actual gnat, haha.
big_river_bum  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 7, 2018 3:20:37 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
if there are midges working, but you don't feel confident in fishing tiny realistic dries, try this

put on a size 16 or 18 griffith's gnat that has some sort of foam post or wing or a midge emerger with white foam, making it easier to see. then tie a sno-cone midge dropper 6"-12" off the hook of that. 75% of your fish will become interested in the dry, but you'll catch'em on thes sno-cone

big_river_bum  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 7, 2018 3:26:40 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
palomino's work great too

UserPostedImage