Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
madguy30  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, March 7, 2018 4:02:08 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Wrapping black thread around a #18 hook a bunch has also worked in the past for me if I wanted to fish midges.

I fish with a short leader so strike was indicated by the end of the fly line moving like usual.
OTC_MN  
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 8, 2018 2:00:37 AM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I tie some of my Griffith's Gnats with a wing of orange MyFlylon right in the middle of it. Makes it at least a little easier to see. (Credit where it's due: I didn't come up with that. Learned about it in a book by Pat Dorsey).

Still, even with an orange post, size 20 is still size 20 and I can hardly see them at the end of my rod tip. I have a mental image of a circle around where I think my fly is that's about the size of a hula hoop. If I see a rise anywhere in the circle, I set the hook. If it's a fish it's game on, if not it's a false cast. Sometimes I just put a bigger dry on and tie the midge off the bend on a 12" dropper so the big dry is an indicator. Surprising number of fish will smack the bigger dry too. I've caught fish on hippy stompers in April. Laugh

One of my favorite Midge patterns is the Morgan's Midge: Morgan's Midge Actually not a bad BWO either frankly.

I do think people get too hung up on tiny flies in late winter though. When I Euro nymph (which is most of the time these days) I'll usually try something big and ugly like a Pat's Rubber Legs, bead head Kinni Stone or a #10 or #12 Tung Teaser as my point fly at some point in the day. Sometimes they outfish the little midges and BWO nymphs I have on a dropper.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
patzelt  
#13 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2018 3:50:43 PM(UTC)
patzelt

How do you post pictures on these threads?
William Schlafer  
#14 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2018 7:50:19 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Originally Posted by: patzelt Go to Quoted Post
How do you post pictures on these threads?

DTA doesn't have the bandwidth to support images. To post your photos you need to first upload them to a image hosting website, such as Imgur, or PostImage, and then add links to those images in your DTA posts. Make certain that whatever site you use has a option for creating hotlinks for forums. You copy this hotlink and paste it as text into your post.

UserPostedImage

Use the Preview button at the bottom to check that your photos uploaded correctly before posting. You may need to edit the hotlink to remove unwanted text or url links created by the hosting site. A typical link will look something like this:

[img]https://somewebsitelink/imagename.jpg[img]

Good luck,
-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
patzelt  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2018 7:33:01 PM(UTC)
patzelt

Thanks all, what size on the stones do typically tie? Size 14?