Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rschmidt  
#11 Posted : Friday, March 9, 2018 1:06:12 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 26 post(s)
I forgot, the best crash I saw, I didn't get on video - dam! A certain someone was getting over a log pile, and got bit by a tree limb. The ensuing swansong shaped full ass belly flop in 40 degree rainy October weather was something to see. I did wait for a full health status check before laughing my ass off. Should have been rolling the film. Flapper R

Gurth  
#12 Posted : Friday, March 9, 2018 1:50:18 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rschmidt Go to Quoted Post
The mud is always too slick. The rocks are always less stable, the water always gets deeper. I do fall. I do go the wrong way. I do get stuck. I love it all. If this is the way I go, just like when I was motorcycle riding, I ask that friends and loved ones accept that it was while doing a thing I love.

Exactly. As long as I don't get hurt or worse, it makes for a funny story too.

The key is to slow down.

I know we've all heard that – not just for safety, but also for smarter, more effective fishing.

We are our own worst enemies, myself included.

I still feel like I'm 25 and I'm almost twice that now. That self confidence in my own physical ability can and has gotten me into trouble.

I honestly am getting better though.

I fish alone probably 99% of the time but I also usually tell my wife where they should look for the body.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
weiliwen  
#13 Posted : Friday, March 9, 2018 3:41:40 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 19 post(s)
I feel better this morning, but have an appointment with my doctor. My nurse practitioner sister told me to get a cat scan. We'll see what the doctor says. I am no longer dizzy, and only have a low-grade headache, and the lump on my head is no longer very big or painful, but I have a pain in the neck on the opposite side of the bump.

Thanks to all for your stories, and advice. I have enjoyed them all, and I think that we do need to be more careful. I'm 58, and need to consider that when I'm gallivanting about.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
EddieRivard  
#14 Posted : Friday, March 9, 2018 4:25:32 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Ouch. I can relate.

About a month ago I was walking on an ice shelf on the edge of the Rush River. It seemed pretty stable until it cracked and I fell through into water that was a little over waist deep. My left elbow hit the ice that hadn't broken on the way down. My elbow still hurts when I press it against anything but otherwise feels and works fine.

Let that be a lesson to all. When you are walking on shelf ice you may as well be walking on broken glass. BigGrin

weiliwen  
#15 Posted : Friday, March 9, 2018 6:56:32 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Back from the doctor's office with an "all-clear." I have the barest bit of dizziness left, but no big deal, and the doc says it'll go away over the course of a week. No cat scans needed, etc. I am bummed because I missed:

1 My Trout Unlimited Meeting last night
2 The Midwest Fly Fishing Expo in Warren Michigan tomorrow - 5 hour trip each way, I don't want to push myself.

But better safe than sorry. I will take it easy the next several days, because Monday evening my son and I are leaving for his Spring Break trip - we're going to Boston.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
stan b  
#16 Posted : Friday, March 9, 2018 9:57:00 PM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 12 post(s)
When you get s little older, it gets worse.

Part of the reason I was looking for fishing partners.........I am grateful I found one.

A few years back I got hit in the head with a tournament softball(called "the rock" for a solid reason).
I was concussed.
Took a few weeks to recover to function.
Couldn't use a computer screen, I would lose it.
I don't think I fully recovered everything like balance, agility and stamina.

So, as a result, I have fallen a couple times.
I make light of it, but it worries me a bit sometimes.

Same way with deer hunting, I need to use "OnX" to show my hunting parthers and my wife exactly where I am.

Just in case.

I have fallen twice this year.
Once I was within.inches of a cut sapling going into my arm.

Once on ice, and I went down so fast it was unbelievable.
Had a moment of shock to gather myself.

Enjoy your youth, it's fleeting!

I start everyday with 2 basic measures of success;

#1-I wake up with no dirt over my head
#1-I get out of bead and don't fall down.
If those are good, it's gonna be a good day.

Getting old ain't for pussies.
Father Time is undefeated.

Stan b

Edited by user Saturday, March 10, 2018 12:25:59 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
thanks 2 users thanked stan b for this useful post.
weiliwen on 3/10/2018(UTC), ccb1 on 3/10/2018(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#17 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2018 4:41:00 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 69 post(s)
Had a really humbling moment a few seasons back.

I was in the middle of a multi-day trip to the DA and had a bad case of "just one more stream" syndrome. It was summertime and a couple days before a big thunderstorm came though the area flooding most streams. The upside to this was the stream bank weeds were flattened down making it much easier to get close to the water and cast.

It was late in the afternoon, and I was pretty tired from an already long day of fishing, but I knew of a nice little stream west of Viroqua that has a bar right next to the creek. Long time readers of this forum will know which one I'm referring to. I figured a quick hour or so of fishing and then hop into the bar for a couple beers and a burger at sundown. This stream has some fairly high banks, 4-6 feet in height in places. The flattened weeds made it easier to fish, but they covered up holes and depressions in the ground.

While I worked the stream a couple of the bar patrons came out on the deck to watch me fish. They cheered me on when I netted a fine Brown Trout caught with a hopper. I saw another riser upstream and took a couple of steps to get into a better casting position. I managed to step right into a hole and caterwauled head first into the stream.

Fortunately I missed the bigger rocks but really mucked myself up pretty good. By some miracle I didn't break my fly rod. I washed off the mud as best as I could and hauled myself up the bank. The guys on the deck were busting their guts laughing. I tried to brush it off as no big deal and kept fishing, but after 10 minutes or so I realized I had a pants full of mud and decided to give up.

It was a humiliating walk up to the bar. I changed into some cleaner clothes and washed up as best as I could in the bathroom. The patrons had pity on me, buying me a couple beers and some slaps on the back for style points on my entry.

The story might've had a quite different ending had my head slammed into a rock. Every time I've gone back there I cut a wide berth around that spot and watch where I put my feet. I'm proud to say that last year I didn't fall into the creek once. Came close though. Trying hard to cut that stuff out.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Guillermo  
#18 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2018 6:17:21 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 22 post(s)
All these stories make me think I should reconsider going to the lengths I do for the mythical 20 inch brook trout. I'll probably never catch one anyway.

But who am I kidding...

I'll do it or die trying.
weiliwen  
#19 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2018 3:31:36 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

I fished that stream last weekend, Bill. Think of it - had you knocked yourself out, at least you would have had witnesses to pull you out of the river before you drowned, if they weren't too drunk!
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
William Schlafer  
#20 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2018 6:04:12 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 69 post(s)
Originally Posted by: weiliwen Go to Quoted Post
I fished that stream last weekend, Bill. Think of it - had you knocked yourself out, at least you would have had witnesses to pull you out of the river before you drowned, if they weren't too drunk!

Indeed! Casey and the regulars there are a good bunch.

I think all Trout steams should have a bar nearby. I've often worked my way up Cty Hwy P though the Timber Coulee complex and ended my day at the Snowflake Bar. Nothing better than a couple beers after a long day on the water.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos