Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ccb1  
#21 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2018 10:07:52 PM(UTC)
ccb1

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
ThumpUp
Enjoy your youth, it's fleeting!

I start everyday with 2 basic measures of success;

#1-I wake up with no dirt over my head
#1-I get out of bead and don't fall down.
If those are good, it's gonna be a good day.

Getting old ain't for pussies.
Father Time is undefeated.

Stan b

that's the truth
had hoped to die in a trout stream
now
If i can just find the energy
ha ha
thanks 2 users thanked ccb1 for this useful post.
weiliwen on 3/11/2018(UTC), stan b on 3/12/2018(UTC)
MNTrout68  
#22 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 9:58:08 PM(UTC)
MNTrout68

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I never wade without my collapsible staff because it's on my wader belt. Like a dumbass I don't always use it though... or I didn't used to.

A couple years ago, I took my boy for his first real fly fishing trip down in the MN Driftless. First stop of the day was a stream I had never fished before. Water was high and chocolate-colored, but we had come a long way and slept in the tent, so I wanted him to at least get a line wet. I found what I thought was a likely-looking spot to step in so we got ready to fish. I thought I would step in first, then turn around and help him find a spot. First step off the grassy bank, my foot just kept going down and I was chest deep, and the water was MOVING. I had to clutch at the streamside grass and weeds to clamber back up to safety. I may have uttered an expletive or three. I looked up and my poor 8-yr old was white as a sheet, and I realized he just saw his dad in what could have been a very bad situation.

I deploy the staff now.
QCTony  
#23 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2018 6:43:13 PM(UTC)
QCTony

When I go trout fishing solo. I always let the wife know where I'm at. As said. Anyone one that has fished the Iowa driftless long enough. Will take a tumble. One reason I hardly ever wear waders. Critters are another thing to beware of. Had a bobcat get into our cooking gazebo at Little Bear Creek. I got out of the tent to see what all the noise was. He took off running right past me. Ran into a few rattle snakes over the years on Big and Little Mill. Every time I go down to Bennett Springs I always come across cotton mouths daily. Last time one tried to go after my wife's stringer. Wife 1 snake 0. We are seeing more bear and cougars in Iowa. Bobcats and coyote populations are growing. So just be aware of your surroundings. You are visiting their home.
Guillermo  
#24 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2018 12:03:53 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Originally Posted by: QCTony Go to Quoted Post
When I go trout fishing solo. I always let the wife know where I'm at. As said. Anyone one that has fished the Iowa driftless long enough. Will take a tumble. One reason I hardly ever wear waders. Critters are another thing to beware of. Had a bobcat get into our cooking gazebo at Little Bear Creek. I got out of the tent to see what all the noise was. He took off running right past me. Ran into a few rattle snakes over the years on Big and Little Mill. Every time I go down to Bennett Springs I always come across cotton mouths daily. Last time one tried to go after my wife's stringer. Wife 1 snake 0. We are seeing more bear and cougars in Iowa. Bobcats and coyote populations are growing. So just be aware of your surroundings. You are visiting their home.

I think the midwest is closer to having a breeding population of mountain lions than the WI DNR would like to admit. There's been a ton of sightings this year. Only a matter of time I think.
NBrevitz  
#25 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2018 12:48:55 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Guillermo Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: QCTony Go to Quoted Post

I think the midwest is closer to having a breeding population of mountain lions than the WI DNR would like to admit. There's been a ton of sightings this year. Only a matter of time I think.

They don’t want to acknowledge it because they will then have to manage them. I saw one last summer about 45 minutes from St Paul, bastard was half stalking me... I love predators and don’t have the desire to kill one, but that freaked me out a bit. They’re bigger than you’d think!
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Powershouse  
#26 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2018 3:54:37 PM(UTC)
Powershouse

I was up on the Brule a week ago. Ice shelves on many of the banks, raging opaque mud brown water so you couldn't see what you were stepping into. I found a slow water eddy with reasonable access only to find myself sinking into quicksand. Original plan was to camp and fish again the next day but I thought better of it.
I've taken to using an InReach Explorer when I fish or ride motorcycles so that folks can see where I am and I can call for help without a cell signal.