Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NBrevitz  
#11 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 3:19:51 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
If I have to pick a size too... #4. I fish a lot of skinny water and I can let it sink if need be in deeper water.

I've caught some of my largest trout on #4's.

Shebs... you seriously use 15s in streams. I have some, but haven't used them much and haven't caught anything when I did.

I use 15s too, they’re great for untouched stuff where all you want is to stick a horse. That said, I had a day on the Kinni last year where I caught 20 dinks on a 15.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
NBrevitz  
#12 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 3:25:33 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

I generally throw a 9 or 15 from mid-May on, but if I HAD to pick one year round, I’d do a 6 with a silver blade and yellow body. 2s and 4s are great for winter/early spring fishing but not much else.
If you changed this to the harvest season, I’d pick a 9 every single time.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
s.t.fanatic  
#13 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 4:34:19 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I guess I have been doing this already for years. Olive Bugger type fly tied on a 1/16oz. jig. It has caught over 20 different species of fish here in southeastern minnesota.
rschmidt  
#14 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 5:57:50 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Fish here will be crashing 9s and 15s very soon. 6s all day now. I'll keep a 4 around for if it cools down.

GO BIG!

GO DEEEEEPPPPP!!!!!

R
mmalyuk  
#15 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 6:08:24 PM(UTC)
mmalyuk

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 11 post(s)
If I had to use just one spinner the whole season it would be a #9 PM deluxe holographic silver/gold.

Gurth, I commonly use #15s too.
Gurth  
#16 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 6:33:09 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 45 post(s)
I'll give it more of a go.

I always lose confidence too quickly and switch back to a 9.

Have a lot of big hole water around here and nothing else works all that often, so what the heck.

Will have to take a heavier rod though - which is no prob.

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
NBrevitz  
#17 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 8:17:37 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
I'll give it more of a go.

I always lose confidence too quickly and switch back to a 9.

Have a lot of big hole water around here and nothing else works all that often, so what the heck.

Will have to take a heavier rod though - which is no prob.

I will say this... If you’re fishing easement stuff or just sections that see a lot of traffic, a 15 might be an overly aggressive presentation. When I throw 15s, it’s on seldom fished stuff or once I get 1/2 mile from the road.
Brookies are also more aggressive than Browns, so that helps too. I generally throw them on days when everything is crushing 9s, trying to size select a bit.
Gurth  
#18 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 10:25:56 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post

I will say this... If you’re fishing easement stuff or just sections that see a lot of traffic, a 15 might be an overly aggressive presentation. When I throw 15s, it’s on seldom fished stuff or once I get 1/2 mile from the road.
Brookies are also more aggressive than Browns, so that helps too. I generally throw them on days when everything is crushing 9s, trying to size select a bit.

Laugh

Point(s) taken.

While I do fish easements as part of what I do, I also go to quite a few god forsaken and wild locations that I find by poring over sat maps. Should see what I slogged through yesterday afternoon.

Anyway... I wouldn't bother with a 15 in a lot of the smaller water that I like to go to.. wild or pressured. Even a 6 is ofter in the weeds all day on those waters.

That and I wouldn't want to be chucking those grenades all day... tear my rotator cuff or get a hernia. Laugh

I will try the 15s in those deep dark pools and corners out in the marshes where the streams start to meander and few fishermen dare or bother to tread.

To this point I've been using 9s, but one of the bigger browns I've gotten was on a #4 Mepps, which is pretty close in size to the 15.

I appreciate the encouragement and am willing to try.

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
MNTrout68  
#19 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 10:26:48 PM(UTC)
MNTrout68

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks for the link - cool article. I find the tone a bit tiresome - Chouinard seems to have perfected reverse psychology, convincing people to buy his expensive gear by constantly saying people don't need all this expensive gear - but the message is a good one.

He basically says that presentation, size, color and action are the keys to catching fish. Notably absent from that list is a hyper-accurate imitation of the natural. I think this is right, with a couple exceptions: first, on little creeks in cow pastures, I don't spend a lot of time imparting action to my flies. I'm usually more focused on getting a drag-free drift over a small holding area or through a little riffle. Secondly, I would add depth to the list. On a nice sunny day in July in our healthy and productive DA streams, I don't think a fish is interested in moving very far for food, so hitting the right spot on the water is important, but so is getting the fly down to where the fish are hanging out.

Incidentally, my entry in the "one fly" discussion would probably be a little beadhead PT nymph. I use red thread so there's a tiny band of color at the front and of course there's the flash from the bead and the wire. It's usually my most lethal fly. I think I'm going to go tie some with a little bit of soft hackle now!
rschmidt  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 1:08:09 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I certainly am not implying that my way is the only way. :) That said. I didn't take a 15 off my line from June on last year. I like a 1/2 oz or bigger weight lure. Fish 3" to 26" killed em. In the driftless, central sands, northern highlands, Superior tribs, MN, and really all over. This early season I used 0, 2, and 4s until the last week. They were crushing 6s and 9s were fine tonight. I won't be much longer and I will only be carrying my 15 boxes. Come on Spring. If you like to spin fish use a 15 in a couple months. Maybe it's different in pressured HI water, but I was in some of that too. Most importantly, do what ya want and happy fishing! R