Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2018 1:44:33 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 64 post(s)
With all the prime fishermen in Minneapolis for the Great Waters show (and everyone else drunk in the bars) I figured it would be a good day to get out and try my luck with the long stick.

Blue skies and warm temperatures had the Trout actively feeding, although at times they were pretty spooky with the clear water. Small bead heads were the most effective fly, but they were biting on almost anything I tried. I managed to catch the Brown-Brookie-Rainbow Trout Tri-Fecta! Second time I've done that on this stream.
UserPostedImage

The Rainbow was a super active fish, hitting my fly four times before I finally got a hook set. I thought for sure it had to be a Brookie, but I guess Rainbows are that dumb too. I also nearly caught my first Trout of the season on a dry fly. I found a large pod of Trout feeding on the surface and got several of them to take my tiny Blue Wing Olive, but I couldn't get a proper hook set on any of them.

12-14" Browns were the norm for this stream. There are some bigger guys in there, but it's tough to get them to come out under bright blues skies.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

It's brown, grey and muddy out there right now. Can't wait for the warm rains of spring to start greening things up. Sure is nice to have the sun stay up until 7PM.
UserPostedImage

-Bill

Edited by user Wednesday, April 18, 2018 1:48:05 AM(UTC)  | Reason: broken links

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 2 users thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
weiliwen on 3/18/2018(UTC), mmalyuk on 3/19/2018(UTC)
Sponsor
Gurth  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 1:49:56 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Great day Bill!

I caught a little bow at about 4:30 today after a day of browns. Briefly considered going to the headwaters to try and complete the trifecta, but I was beat and brookies are only rumored to still be in the stream I was on.

I've never seen any.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Guillermo  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 6:57:40 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
Great day Bill!

I caught a little bow at about 4:30 today after a day of browns. Briefly considered going to the headwaters to try and complete the trifecta, but I was beat and brookies are only rumored to still be in the stream I was on.

I've never seen any.

Go as far upstream as possible and you'll find the brookies if they're still in there. I had planned to do exactly that on a Vernon Co. stream last year, but I unexpectedly had one of my best days ever and couldn't keep the browns off my fly. I still had 2 more miles to wade before I got to the source of the stream when it got dark and I had to walk back out with no flashlight. I completely forgot about the time with how good the fishing was. I was fairly sure I was going to break a limb wading back out blindly in the dark.

The potential brookies in there will remain a myth until I can complete the final section. And next time I'll set out in the early A.M. rather than early afternoon.

Edited by user Monday, March 19, 2018 7:02:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

William Schlafer  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 1:58:48 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Thanks Gurth.

The bite was fairly strong on Saturday, but the bright sun and clear water were certainly a limiting factor. Sure nice to be out in shirt sleeves for a change. I briefly thought about spending the night and fishing again on Sunday. Another fisherman was working downstream and I stopped to talk with him briefly on the walk out. He said he was doing well on Hippie Stompers pulled underwater and stripped against the current. I've done well on this stream doing the same thing, but with Craneflies.

My Brookie was the second fish caught on the day, but the only one I caught. That's unusual for this stream, which normally runs 50-50 Browns and Brookies. I too hiked far upstream looking for them and ran into a new Beaver dam. It' possible the majority of the Brook Trout are trapped above the dam. We need a nice little cleansing flood to wash away that obstruction and all the silt piled up behind it.

I was surprised by the Rainbow. It must be a stocked fish that carried over from last year. He sure was energetic. I caught him just steps from the spot where I caught a Tiger last year. Maybe if I go back I can score a Tiger-Brookie-Rainbow tri-fecta?

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 5:03:45 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post

I was surprised by the Rainbow. It must be a stocked fish that carried over from last year. He sure was energetic. I caught him just steps from the spot where I caught a Tiger last year. Maybe if I go back I can score a Tiger-Brookie-Rainbow tri-fecta?

-Bill

I'm not sure what you mean by "carried over."

This is clearly not a put and take stream, so I'm sure those bows are expected to survive sans normal expected mortality.

That is barely a "catchable" fish even now and may have been placed as a large or small fingerling.
Guillermo  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2018 2:07:42 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post

-Bill

I'm not sure what you mean by "carried over."

This is clearly not a put and take stream, so I'm sure those bows are expected to survive sans normal expected mortality.

That is barely a "catchable" fish even now and may have been placed as a large or small fingerling.

Any stocked fish that make it to the next year would be considered carry overs. So unless he was a wild rainbow, which is highly unlikely because you can probably count the number of wild bow populations in WI on one hand, he's a carry over.
Gurth  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2018 2:40:43 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Fair enough.

I always thought of and heard reference to broods and fish in put and take streams that survive the winter as carry overs.

Seems like an odd thing to call a small fingerling in perpetuity.

5 years down the line it's still a carry over or is it simply a stocked fish?

Not trying to argue over this - just trying to explain my confusion.

And yeah... where he caught it, it's not a wild bow.

Edited by user Tuesday, March 20, 2018 2:42:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Guillermo  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2018 4:56:31 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

While the stream itself might not be considered put and take, the stocking of rainbows is most likely for the purpose of an additive put and take opportunity to supplement the wild trout fishery in the stream.

As for what you would call a fish 5 years down the line, that's a good question and I"m not sure.
William Schlafer  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2018 1:27:23 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

I did some checking. No Rainbows were deliberately stocked on this creek by the WDNR. I'm not sure, but I don't think they put any Rainbows in streams anymore, with the exception of spent brooders. This is a Class II stream, and the WDNR did stock Brookies there in 2017. It's possible a Rainbow or two somehow found it's way into the hatchery tank.

This isn't the first Rainbow tri-fecta I've scored on this creek. Here's the one from last year. Doesn't appear to be the same fish. This creek eventually connects to the Kickapoo River, so it's possible he's an immigrant from someplace else.

I've heard rumors of some wild reproducing Rainbows in Iowa and certain Wisconsin streams. But I don't think this is the case here. On this creek there is a land owner with a small spring fed pond that I know holds fish (I've seen his kids fishing it). It's possible he has Rainbows in there and some occasionally escape into the creek. There's at least one creek in Crawford county where this has been known to happen.

-Bill