Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AutobotTrainer  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2018 2:36:22 PM(UTC)
AutobotTrainer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm headed up to Platteville next week for 3 days for work. Any streams that are worth me getting a WI 4 day license?

Thanks!
No thing created by man is infallible.
Sponsor
Gurth  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2018 2:51:07 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Have you fished north of there? Lots of great options if you're willing to drive 20-30 minutes.

I don't know the Platteville area or far SW Wisconsin, but I have researched it quite a bit to see if it was worth driving over to.

Seems like it's more smallmouth territory than trout.

I will be heading over that way one of these years to chase smallies.

Gotta tear myself away from the trout streams though, which is the challenge.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
AutobotTrainer  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2018 2:53:51 PM(UTC)
AutobotTrainer

Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
Have you fished north of there? Lots of great options if you're willing to drive 20-30 minutes.

I haven't fished anywhere in that area. SW Wisconsin is usually "drive through" country for me, as I usually get stuck in Madison or Milwaukee for work.

30 minutes might be possible, I get out of training sessions each day at 4:30pm. Name your streams, I'll make a plan! thanks Gurth.

Gurth  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2018 2:58:31 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 58 post(s)
It was fishably light last night till almost 7:30.

None of these are really secrets, but I've gotten weird about posting stream names.

Email me at the addy in my sig.

Edited by user Thursday, March 22, 2018 2:59:41 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
George  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2018 12:38:57 PM(UTC)
George

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Lot's of great trout water just north of Platteville. Go hit the Little Platte only a few minutes north off Hwy. 80. Take a left on Waterfall Rd and put in at the bridge and wade upstream. Take a look at the Grant Count Trout Map. Lots and lots of fishing to be had. Explore it.

Hegawn  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2018 2:27:03 PM(UTC)
Hegawn

United States

I live just north of pville and would recommend trying the Roundtree br in town if you don't have a lot of time. I fished it several years ago and slayed a dink brown but there are reports of some decent size browns present. You can access a large pool about 1000 feet from Mitchell Hollow Rd at the bridge crossing a fishable branch of the Roundtree. Like Gurth, I don't like naming specific streams and will not be doing so in the future but this being my first post, it's my thanks and a little payback for all the good info here. Your welcome and can send me $100.00 bucks for my fish gitter fee if you want.
"When you come to a fork in the stream, take it!" - if Yogi Berra was a trout chaser...
AutobotTrainer  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2018 3:52:50 PM(UTC)
AutobotTrainer

Originally Posted by: Hegawn Go to Quoted Post
Like Gurth, I don't like naming specific streams and will not be doing so in the future but this being my first post, it's my thanks and a little payback for all the good info here. Your welcome and can send me $100.00 bucks for my fish gitter fee if you want.

Thanks gang! I have a lot of great suggestions here (and privately emailed) that I really appreciate. This will be my first Trouting in Wisconsin in years.

Hegawn, welcome to the DTA club. This is a great group. You can wait by your mailbox for my $100 check....ha.

-Paul-
s.t.fanatic  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2018 2:23:23 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hegawn Go to Quoted Post
I live just north of pville and would recommend trying the Roundtree br in town if you don't have a lot of time. I fished it several years ago and slayed a dink brown but there are reports of some decent size browns present. You can access a large pool about 1000 feet from Mitchell Hollow Rd at the bridge crossing a fishable branch of the Roundtree. Like Gurth, I don't like naming specific streams and will not be doing so in the future but this being my first post, it's my thanks and a little payback for all the good info here. Your welcome and can send me $100.00 bucks for my fish gitter fee if you want.

I can second this. I have fished in town a couple of times while staying there for work. I actually lost a hog right behind the Super 8 where I was staying well past sundown one year. This was a good 10 years ago so not sure what it is like now but if I was going back i know id sure try it out.