Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 1, 2018 9:31:39 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 44 post(s)
I was hoping for a nice warm up this month, but it looks like Mother Nature has other ideas..

UserPostedImage

Latter part of April may warm up enough to finally ditch the winter gear. It will be nice to fish in shirt sleeves again.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
madguy30  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 1, 2018 9:49:44 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Yeah, was gonna spend all of next weekend out in the official D.A. but if the forecast holds up, no thanks. 3 months of bundling up just to fish is enough for me.

I have a strong suspicion that this summer will be very much like the last two, i.e. rowdy weather, lots of wind/rain and less than ideal fishing conditions.
weiliwen  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 1, 2018 11:13:30 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Well, I guess it'll put the insect hatches back but I've done pretty well with much colder weather, so it won't stop me. I think it'll be warm enough for BWO's.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Gurth  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 1, 2018 11:23:09 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 29 post(s)
It's not bothering me at all.

I'd rather wear a couple of layers than be out in 85 degrees, humidity and those freaking biting gnats.

I LOVE March>May.

The sun is good enough now that even chilly days have active fish unlike January and most of February.

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
weiliwen on 4/2/2018(UTC)
Guillermo  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 2, 2018 6:39:26 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
It's not bothering me at all.

I'd rather wear a couple of layers than be out in 85 degrees, humidity and those freaking biting gnats.

I LOVE March>May.

The sun is good enough now that even chilly days have active fish unlike January and most of February.

Doesn't really bother me all that much either. Still though I can't wait for the days when I can throw on an old pair of shoes and a pair shorts and hit the stream to wet wade in 75 degree weather.
Gurth  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 2, 2018 11:48:42 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Don't get me wrong... I enjoy warm weather but a day like yesterday in the 30s with wind doesn't even register as uncomfortable for me.

The other nice thing is that the cooler temps keep a lot of the less dedicated people away from the streams.

Can always see the difference when we get a rogue warm day in February. All of a sudden, everyone's a trout fisherman. Laugh

As someone who likes to be alone out there, I love early (and late) season.

Plus I really @#&%ing hate those biting gnats.
OTC_MN  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 2, 2018 12:25:28 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Yeah, I'm heading to the Black Hills in a few hours for 4 days of trout fishing with my son, and it looks like we're getting some of the same out there. Will be tolerable but not exactly ideal that's for sure.

Oh well. Beats sitting at home.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
NBrevitz  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 2, 2018 3:17:42 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 25 post(s)
I’m a little frustrated with the weather just due to what I generally do in April, trophy hunting low numbers systems. The past couple years, it was decent starting in Mid March and lights out in mid-late April before Opener. It’s only going to be decent for a couple weeks and game on for a week at best before Opener up here, which is problematic as my goal is an 18” Brookie and 20” non brooder Rainbow before Opener. Guess I can wave goodbye to that...
MN Opener is gonna SUCK much north of Rochester unless we get a hard shift in the weather.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Gurth  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 2, 2018 5:24:56 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

My comments on weather only apply to me and only to the lower third of the state.

I'd likely have a different perspective if I lived up north.
William Schlafer  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 2, 2018 5:35:41 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Spent some time last night reading through the NWS long range forecast for the upper Mississippi basin. Deep frost is persisting in upper Wisconsin and Minnesota with abundant snow cover throughout that region. More snow is forecast for the next couple of days. In contrast in the Milwaukee area there is no snow, it's dry and the ground frost is gone. I've even seen a few farmers doing spring plowing.

A rapid warm up at this point could lead to heavy flooding throughout the upper regions and could really set back the Trout fishing there. However, the three month outlook for the region is calling for somewhat warmer and wetter than normal conditions.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I hope it won't be one of those spring/summers like ten years ago when is was just one deluge and flood after another for about 3 months. I can still see the flood damage on one of my favorite streams from those days. It took that stream 3 years to recover.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos