Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Guillermo  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2018 5:35:11 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
My comments on weather only apply to me and only to the lower third of the state.

I'd likely have a different perspective if I lived up north.

The weather can definitely be more brutal, but it isn't so much that as it is the fact that a lot of the rivers that are open to the early season are sometimes frozen into early April. Even on an ideal year they only first open early to mid-March. Kinda renders the whole concept of early season null and void, at least the better part of it. And then when they do open up they're often raging high usually right up until the May opener. My early season fishing usually consists of a handful of Driftless trips when I can swing them. Then I fish up north all spring and summer and try to hit the Driftless one last time come fall.
rschmidt  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2018 5:44:52 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
This weather sucks and it's gonna lock out the frost again. It was just starting to go out last week. Looks like some pretty difficult conditions this week and next. Most of the streams by me Western WI do not freeze over even in the coldest days of January. If they do get some shelf and skim ice it doesn't last long even when subzero bitter cold at night. R
s.t.fanatic  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2018 4:33:29 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I'm not the type to let a little inclement weather get in the way of my obsession. I will be on the stream again after work today. The fish didn't get the memo about the bad weather.
wibirdhunter  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, April 4, 2018 12:32:52 AM(UTC)
wibirdhunter

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
We could use some of that global warming about now.
shebs  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, April 4, 2018 6:10:59 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
There's probably a reason why it's called "global warming" and not "temperature in my backyard today"

UserPostedImage
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
thanks 1 user thanked shebs for this useful post.
Gurth on 4/4/2018(UTC)
Hoggies  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, April 4, 2018 7:16:25 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
The 507 will have overnight lows in the upper 20s and daytime highs around 50. Hopefully all the crap that fell yesterday night and this morning and round 2 this weekend will clear out slowly... It'd be nice to be able to fish without resorting to soaking a worm.
Gurth  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, April 4, 2018 7:41:10 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Originally Posted by: shebs Go to Quoted Post
There's probably a reason why it's called "global warming" and not "temperature in my backyard today"

My almost 80 year old dad derides "global warming." Laugh

Product of the anti-science, Faux News propaganda machine.

Unfortunately we'll likely see plenty of evidence of climate change in the form of torrential rains and severe flooding throughout the summer. Sad

Hopefully there's still some sand and silt left in places for deniers to bury their heads in. Laugh

Edited by user Wednesday, April 4, 2018 7:45:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Guillermo  
#18 Posted : Thursday, April 5, 2018 1:39:28 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 23 post(s)
People who deny usually say the climate warms naturally over time. And it does. But at a much slower rate. We’re just increasing the rate at which it warms and need to take responsibility for that. There’s no denying the data that shows the effects kicking in right about the Industrial Revolution.
thanks 1 user thanked Guillermo for this useful post.
weiliwen on 4/5/2018(UTC)
Gurth  
#19 Posted : Thursday, April 5, 2018 11:53:49 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 58 post(s)
No doubt.

I'm speaking more to the people who anytime there is an out of character cold day or cold weather event say, "Ahh... global warming." as if getting snow in April is proof that it's been a myth all along.

My dad has done it and I've got conservative buddies who do too.

One of the buddies has actually come around to global warming being a thing, but he's still sure that humans aren't the cause. Laugh

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
s.t.fanatic  
#20 Posted : Thursday, April 5, 2018 1:07:36 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
This isn't anything out of the norm. Some years April is warm some years its cold. Its obvious that the earth is gradually warming that cant be disputed. Weather or not it is just a trend that will reverse in another couple of hundred years or not nobody knows. I am one of the crazies that just doesn't believe mankind is doing it. Just look at atmospheric CO maps. Oct.-April it looks like we are all going to die. Then May and June gets here and it all goes away. It happens the same way every year.

If you believe it's caused by man then you need to ask YOURSELF a few questions. How many agricultural acres have you converted into year round cover? How many trees have you planted? What lifestyle changes have you made?

Talk is cheep.